What's new

Discussion Couple Core i7 Questions..

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
I already have a hella beast computer, But I may be selling the motherboard, cpu/hsf, and ram to a friend, and upgrade to a core i7 build.

It'll cost me roughly 500 or less to build (the mobo, cpu, hsf, and ram) after my friend buys my current.

I believe I mostly know these answers but.

I have a Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz stock right now, would a Core i7 2.66GHz stock out perform this? Is it worth the i7?

I have 2GBx4 DDR2 Memory which is 8GB obviously, but with DDR3, would just 3 sticks of 2GB DDR3 RAM out perform my current (12GB will cost some more, didn't know if 6GB DDR3 is alot better as is rather than 8GB DDR2).

trtl

trtl

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Forum Addict Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Yes the i7 would out perform the C2Q. Is it worth it? That's up to you.

6GB DDR3 triple channel > 8GB DDR2 dual channel.

Also, I highly doubt you use over 6GB to begin with. :biggrin:

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
xJared said:

The worth part isn't really a factor, I'm asking because I don't wanna get the i7 over the C2Q if it's worse in performance or the same.

And much as I read, DDR3 will be way faster than DDR2, price vs performance, but I'm not really worried about the price. I was just curious if 6GB wasn't good enough, I don't really use huge processing amounts, but I believe the DDR3 would be better with processing it anyways (being faster).

If I just did the 6gb, i'll be looking to about $230 to be spent after selling my current.

T

TuBbY BuNnY

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes i7 has more performance over Core 2 series

No its not worth the Upgrade unless you are into massive video encoding and rendering big projects etc.

i7 is only worth that and for benchmarking. There is no noticeable difference in games with i7 unless you got i7 + 2x 4870x2's or 2x GTX 295's

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Just make sure the C2Q socket is the same as the core i7's socket

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
xJared said:

correctomundo!

TuBbY BuNnY said:
Yes i7 has more performance over Core 2 series

No its not worth the Upgrade unless you are into massive video encoding and rendering big projects etc.

i7 is only worth that and for benchmarking. There is no noticeable difference in games with i7 unless you got i7 + 2x 4870x2's or 2x GTX 295's
see it's not worth the upgrade because it is probably a workstation computer where he does word processing, and misc pc ****. but on a bulletproof aspect, the new build would be faster and would last longer and would be worth it because he has a buyer for his **** and might make a buck in the ends meat.

GoldBl4d3 said:
Just make sure the C2Q socket is the same as the core i7's socket
he is getting a new mobo, and no they are different sockets.

if you make cash on the build, yeah whyy the **** not?

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
SiK GambleR said:
correctomundo!

see it's not worth the upgrade because it is probably a workstation computer where he does word processing, and misc pc ****. but on a bulletproof aspect, the new build would be faster and would last longer and would be worth it because he has a buyer for his **** and might make a buck in the ends meat.

he is getting a new mobo, and no they are different sockets.

if you make cash on the build, yeah whyy the **** not?

I know I probably sound stupid for wasting money and all lol, but It'll only cost me about $200 more, and what I do for money, is basically nothing (well what I have done for money). I don't use my pc just for that simple stuff, but I don't run the most impact game 24/7 either.

And the socket thing, I know about that lol, the new mobo I'm getting doesn't have PATA but I don't use that anymore.

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
you know, just do it. new hardware is always fun, and idk if u are like me but putting pc's together is enjoyable to me.

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
SiK GambleR said:
you know, just do it. new hardware is always fun, and idk if u are like me but putting pc's together is enjoyable to me.

Haha I know right..It should be here in a few hours :tongue:

Top Bottom