What's new

Discussion Console Decision - Advice please

M

MrBean12

Reaction score
Sin$
Mods, please move if this is not the right thread for this question.
===========
I am deciding whether to buy a gaming console or not and if yes, which one? I'm hoping someone from the community can advice based on my profile and priorities.

When it comes to technology, I'm a late adopter. Also I'm not much a core gamer, but love to play some free PC games every now & then. I have 2 basic laptops, so havent played any high end games as such. I like detective/ puzzle solving/ strategy games, like Sam & Max. My son in 7yo, we play Condition Zero by setting up LAN. (I know I know its not a game for 7yo, dont judge). So coop games is something I would love too, as a dad and son thing.

Anywho, I want to spend some moolah on getting a console, because why not? Below are my priorities.

I want to mod the console, so if I cannot, I might pretty much decide not to buy. I read that Xbox One cannot be hacked, so thats out of contention?

So next, I looked for Nintendo Switch because I read thats better one for kids. But here in Canada, I couldnt find stores where I can get old consoles because new ones cannot be modded. EB games is a good site for refurbished games, but it doesnt have Nintendo Switch right now. For PS4, I read that once the firmware is upgraded, there is no way to mod it?

Thoughts, advice? If there is no way, then I dont mind waiting till something opens up. I am not hell bent on going for a console right now.

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
XBOX can't be modded, you're right. so that's a no. PS4 CAN be modded but you'll need it on 5.05 or lower. the switch can also be modded but can't use it online afaik or you'll get banned straight away.

I'd honestly buy a PC if I were you and had your requirements. but up to you, I'd go for the jailbroken PS4 but no online play, certain games will not work on older firmware.

Good luck.

D

Deleted member 847964

No sympathy for the Devil; keep that in mind
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
If you're looking for a console to mod then I'd suggest PS3 or Xbox 360. PS4 modding is still pretty limited even on the older firmwares, you won't find much for games outside of call of duty and maybe GTA V so unless you're going to develop your own mods then that's probably not what you're looking for. If you're not hell bent on playing newly released titles then you'd probably have a blast modding xb360 or PS3 with your son, there is literally almost a decade worth of mods available for just about any last gen game plus you can run emulators like SNES and N64 to play classic games. Just my two cents.

M

MrBean12

Reaction score
Sin$
XBOX can't be modded, you're right. so that's a no. PS4 CAN be modded but you'll need it on 5.05 or lower. the switch can also be modded but can't use it online afaik or you'll get banned straight away.

I'd honestly buy a PC if I were you and had your requirements. but up to you, I'd go for the jailbroken PS4 but no online play, certain games will not work on older firmware.

Good luck.
Thanks dude.

M

MrBean12

Reaction score
Sin$
If you're looking for a console to mod then I'd suggest PS3 or Xbox 360. PS4 modding is still pretty limited even on the older firmwares, you won't find much for games outside of call of duty and maybe GTA V so unless you're going to develop your own mods then that's probably not what you're looking for. If you're not hell bent on playing newly released titles then you'd probably have a blast modding xb360 or PS3 with your son, there is literally almost a decade worth of mods available for just about any last gen game plus you can run emulators like SNES and N64 to play classic games. Just my two cents.

Thanks, yes I'll look for PS3/ XBOX 360 modding steps and if I find that comfortable, then deals for these. This is kind of advice I was looking for.

D

Deleted member 847964

No sympathy for the Devil; keep that in mind
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks, yes I'll look for PS3/ XBOX 360 modding steps and if I find that comfortable, then deals for these. This is kind of advice I was looking for.
Streamah Streamah would be able to help you out I'm sure. He's been selling modded consoles for quite a while and is pretty cheap as well. He sells both modded xbox's and jailbroken ps3's I'm pretty sure. There is a homebrew section in the buy/sell/trade forums, that's where you can find consoles for sale here on se7ensins. I would suggest avoiding places like eBay and always buy from a reputable seller when it comes to these consoles. If you need any help along the way feel free to message me.

S

schitzotm

Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hate to say it but go for a wii u or an older wii. Not the wii mini it cannot be modded.
The nintendo wii and wii u can be modded pretty easily and really requires no extra effort. The 360 and ps mods require way more in terms of upkeep.
It also sounds like online gameplay isnt that important. So I would find one of these and go that route. There are way more games in the area you are searching for the wii and wii u.
I am guessing you are looking in terms of modding by piracy correct? If so then this is still your best option.

Top Bottom
Login
Register