Computer won't boot with DVD Drive plugged in

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Carson, Jan 17, 2009 with 6 replies and 122 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
    If my SATA DVD Drive is plugged in, my computer won't boot past the Motherboard's screen. Unplugged it boots fine. This only started happening recently. What could this be? Possibly the PortIO32 thing I installed?

2. Distorted Hope

Distorted Hope Enthusiast

Ratings:
    if it has happened since the moment you installed portio32 then it must be it. uninstall that and if that works you will have to find a different pc to install it on, but there is a possibility that it isnt it and the only thing i can think of is do a system restore to a point where you could boot with it installed. if that fails i guess reinstall windows. catch me on aim and i can help you more.

3. OP
    Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
    The thing is I can't remember if it was before or after PortIO32. I guess I'll try to uninstall it.

4. Distorted Hope

Distorted Hope Enthusiast

Ratings:
    hold on, before you try that, try resetting your pc's CMOS, to do that, turn off your pc and take out the motherboard battery and unplug it. leave it that way for about 15 minutes, plug it back in and put the battery in and if that works your golden.

5. OP
    Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
  6. TuBbY BuNnY

TuBbY BuNnY Contributor

Ratings:
    Have you tried your DVD drive in another computer?

Has the DVD drive firmware been modified in anyway?

7. OP
    Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I have no other computer to try it in, and no it has not been modified. It's worked fine for months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.