• Start date
  • Views 447
subway foot long

subway foot long

Contributor
Seasoned Veteran EotM Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I bought a pre-built computer it sucks a**, it's really slow. I ended up buying the 1050TI for a better GPU. I had to change the mobo because there was only one USB connection on it. Went from Gigabyte H110M-A to Gigabyte z170XP SLI. But now im going to upgrade my ram and the memory from 8GB to either 16GB or 32GB. But my question is about the memory, I know I want an SSD for my OS and programs but I don't know if I should go with the M.2 version of the SSD or the SATA version?

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
I bought a pre-built computer it sucks a**, it's really slow. I ended up buying the 1050TI for a better GPU. I had to change the mobo because there was only one USB connection on it. Went from Gigabyte H110M-A to Gigabyte z170XP SLI. But now im going to upgrade my ram and the memory from 8GB to either 16GB or 32GB. But my question is about the memory, I know I want an SSD for my OS and programs but I don't know if I should go with the M.2 version of the SSD or the SATA version?

I have a 240 gb sata ssd for my OS and other misc programs, it works just fine.
If you're just going to be gaming, then you only need 16 GB, there's absolutely no reason to get 32 unless you know what you're doing. Even if you're editing YT videos... you don't need the 32.

subway foot long

subway foot long

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
I have a 240 gb sata ssd for my OS and other misc programs, it works just fine.
If you're just going to be gaming, then you only need 16 GB, there's absolutely no reason to get 32 unless you know what you're doing. Even if you're editing YT videos... you don't need the 32.
nah not just gaming, but vfx and 3d animation. When it comes to rendering imma need all the memory i can get

Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
Just buy the cheapest (good) SSD out there.

IMO M.2 drives arent worth it yet.

Get something like an ADATA SP550

subway foot long

subway foot long

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Just buy the cheapest (good) SSD out there.

IMO M.2 drives arent worth it yet.

Get something like an ADATA SP550
hmmm i guess, all i know is that im getting $4000 and imma upgrade the f*** out of my pc

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
No point swapping out every part ur better off building a new system.
No point in spending anything more than 1500$ on a PC if you ask me

I second this

I made a build for someone other day (ram and stuff could be changed now probably) a pretty much maxed out rig and it cost about $1500

Maybe a top tier enthusiast could do about 2k with fancy case, nice fancy watercooled RGB CPU cooler etc

With Ryzen out now their Desktop chips are basically High end desktop chips and are very cheap.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($141.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.92 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card ($744.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1521.51

AMD GPU's are better bang for buck I don't even recommend going above an RX580 TBH but if your going unlimited budget a 1080 ti is fine I guess.

Until Vega releases (a 1080 competitor) AMD has no enthusiast grade GPU at this time HBM yields f*** them once again causing a delay in product for a long time.

AMD cards will give you better experience than Nvidia with lower system latency, more features like smooth video, and options to use stuff like Freesync. But I picked Nvidia because AMD had nothing here

Ryzen is great for gaming, recording, streaming etc.

Even in Gaming where Intel shines the 1600 vs 7800x is 1 FPS difference while costing half the price they should have compared the 1600x as it was still cheaper than the other chips by a huge margin (half price of the 7800x) but whatever.
Average.png

The 1700 non X at stock clocks destroys the hell out of Intels 7700k even when the 7700k is overclocked to 4.9ghz on water.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2993-amd-1700-vs-intel-7700k-for-game-streaming/

Its kinda funny though because Ryzen desktop chips are such good value their top tier threadripper chips are kinda bad spot, considering you can get the 32core epic server CPU for 2.2grand

subway foot long

subway foot long

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
No point swapping out every part ur better off building a new system.

I second this

I made a build for someone other day (ram and stuff could be changed now probably) a pretty much maxed out rig and it cost about $1500

Maybe a top tier enthusiast could do about 2k with fancy case, nice fancy watercooled RGB CPU cooler etc

With Ryzen out now their Desktop chips are basically High end desktop chips and are very cheap.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($141.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.92 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card ($744.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1521.51

AMD GPU's are better bang for buck I don't even recommend going above an RX580 TBH but if your going unlimited budget a 1080 ti is fine I guess.

Until Vega releases (a 1080 competitor) AMD has no enthusiast grade GPU at this time HBM yields **** them once again causing a delay in product for a long time.

AMD cards will give you better experience than Nvidia with lower system latency, more features like smooth video, and options to use stuff like Freesync. But I picked Nvidia because AMD had nothing here

Ryzen is great for gaming, recording, streaming etc.

Even in Gaming where Intel shines the 1600 vs 7800x is 1 FPS difference while costing half the price they should have compared the 1600x as it was still cheaper than the other chips by a huge margin (half price of the 7800x) but whatever.
Average.png

The 1700 non X at stock clocks destroys the hell out of Intels 7700k even when the 7700k is overclocked to 4.9ghz on water.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2993-amd-1700-vs-intel-7700k-for-game-streaming/

Its kinda funny though because Ryzen desktop chips are such good value their top tier threadripper chips are kinda bad spot, considering you can get the 32core epic server CPU for 2.2grand
pfff i am not about to spend the whole $4000 on my computer lol. Imma upgrade a couple of things, just put 16gb in my pc plus another fan cause the other one died. And I pick nvidia because it's more beneficial to me (CUDA Cores)

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
pfff i am not about to spend the whole $4000 on my computer lol. Imma upgrade a couple of things, just put 16gb in my pc plus another fan cause the other one died. And I pick nvidia because it's more beneficial to me (CUDA Cores)

There are not many workloads where Cuda Cores benefit more than OpenCL. OpenCL is also growing faster than Cuda. Even workloads which is heavily in favor of Nvidia like Adobe you still see the RX 580 beating higher end 1070 etc.

Rendering = AMD
Production = AMD
Streaming = AMD
Mining = AMD
Future Proof = AMD
Feature Set = AMD
Stability = AMD
Has highest end card at this time = Nvidia

Nvidia kinda only wins in the sense they have the only high end cards at this time. They are kinda bad at all other aspects.

Unfortunately Vega most likely will not beat the 1080ti its gunna be between 1080 and 1080ti it seems at price point similar to the 1070.

In the past it was even more like the 2011 release 7970 (basically a prosumer card at desktop price, think of it like the Vega FE) beat the Titan X years later in applications like Sony Vegas. But AMD did reduce some of those features on later cards.

subway foot long

subway foot long

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
There are not many workloads where Cuda Cores benefit more than OpenCL. OpenCL is also growing faster than Cuda. Even workloads which is heavily in favor of Nvidia like Adobe you still see the RX 580 beating higher end 1070 etc.

Rendering = AMD
Production = AMD
Streaming = AMD
Mining = AMD
Future Proof = AMD
Feature Set = AMD
Stability = AMD
Has highest end card at this time = Nvidia

Nvidia kinda only wins in the sense they have the only high end cards at this time. They are kinda bad at all other aspects.

Unfortunately Vega most likely will not beat the 1080ti its gunna be between 1080 and 1080ti it seems at price point similar to the 1070.

In the past it was even more like the 2011 release 7970 (basically a prosumer card at desktop price, think of it like the Vega FE) beat the Titan X years later in applications like Sony Vegas. But AMD did reduce some of those features on later cards.
and that's what i was going for the 1080ti im not sure if any other amd card has 11GB of ram in their gpu. but imma buy two of these for faster rendering times with octane. Plus in my opinion Nvidia cards look better than amd

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
and that's what i was going for the 1080ti im not sure if any other amd card has 11GB of ram in their gpu. but imma buy two of these for faster rendering times with octane. Plus in my opinion Nvidia cards look better than amd

Ram isn't everything bandwidth matters too. Right now AMD has no competition for the 1080ti.

But I can tell you if you care about rendering then Vega will detroy the 1080ti at a lower cost. But teh 1080ti will prob beat vega in gaming (but vega can have Freesync 1440p 144hz IPS panel for 400usd.)

The Vega chip will have only 8gb of Vram but it will use HBM ram which will have better latency than GDDR5X ram for rendering & AMD cards have far superior compute (Not even in just raw flops but in features as well)

Nvidia vs AMD isn't really an athestic difference you buy companies you like design of for example I think the MSI cards look the best (But I would buy Zotac/Sapphire cards over MSI) and the Nvidia & AMD cards look pretty similar from each company. Only ****** reference ones really look much difference

RX 580 MSI
f689cea42e9deb39cc2cc2df5db9e0c9.png

MSI Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
14-127-963-S99.jpg

Notice how it looks the exact same?

Top Bottom
Login
Register