• Thread starter mvp20m
  • Start date
  • Views 1,148
mvp20m

mvp20m

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Figured since I use the SMGs the most and know a decent amount about each I would try and help people who are having trouble with class setups. These are solely my opinion and everyone has a different one, however, these tips have helped me from day one.​

Ill start off by listing the SMGs in effectiveness.

1. PDW
2. MSMC
3. Scorpion
4. MP7
5. Vector
6. Chicom

Attachments.

- Fast Mags
- Silencer
- Quickdraw
- Laser

*These are the most effective attachments available. Select Fire for the Chicom is also an option however not necessary.*

Misleading Attachments.

- Long Barrel
- Stock
- FMJ
- Sights (Red Dot, ACOG, Target Finder, MMS)
- Grip
- Extended Mags
- Rapid Fire

I know this can create some controversy but I have my reasonings.​

Fast Mags : With the absence of Sleight of Hand, this attachment is extremely effective. The reload times with and without Fast Mags are very different and can be the difference between a kill and a death.

Silencer: Great for anyone trying to sneak up and be stealthy. Playing without a silencer is hard but not impossible. Some added recoil and a very small difference in damage come with this attachment however, you should be in a range were it will go unnoticed.

Quickdraw: Great addition to the attachments. The SMGs have the fasted ADS time out of all the weapons. Being able to look down sight faster is only a plus and is much more effective than hip firing.

Laser: Some say this is OP but it makes the game so much easier. It basically acts as steady aim, and when someone suddenly pops up, being able to hip fire accurately is an advantage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Long Barrel: Sounds like a great attachment however there is no difference in the range. Some say there is but there are countless tests that show with Long Barrel, it still takes the same amount of shots at the same distance than a weapon not equipped with it.

Stock: Great for ARs and LMGs, not for SMGs. There are other attachments that do a lot more and SMGs already have the highest mobility out of all the weapons.

FMJ: In BO2, you are able to shoot through just about all surfaces and get kills. There is no need for FMJ at all. There are also tests that were done on this attachment showing absolutely no difference.

Sights: The iron sights on the weapons are fine. There is no need to take up space in your class with a pointless sight. If you are ADS with a SMG, you are using it wrong. Lose the sight.

Grip: At mid-close range, the recoil is very small and grip is not needed. The difference between a SMG with and a SMG without grip is very minimal. You should not be sniping with the SMGs.

Extended Mags: Gives you more starting ammo and more per clip however, this attachment still leaves you with a slow reload time. Each SMG should give you plenty of ammo for multiple kills at the range they were intended to be used at. Go with Fast Mags.

Rapid Fire: There is no need for this on any SMG. The ROF is plenty for mid-close range kills and it will only make the recoil greater.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Using the right perks makes all the difference. If you dont use the right setup, the weapons will not be effective.

Good Perks

- Ghost
- Flak Jacket
- Hardline

- Toughness
- Scavenger

- Tac Mask
- Extreme Conditioning
- Dexterity

Useless Perks

- Cold Blooded
- Fast Hands
- Hard Wire

- Engineer
- Dead Silence (Unless it is Search and Destroy)
- Awareness

Ghost: Must have IMO. UAVs are the lowest killstreak and easiest to get. People run UAV constantly and when you need to be up close for a kill, the last thing you want is to be seen on a radar. Must have.

Flak Jacket: With all the grenades and equipment you will be running through, flak jacket is great to have.

Hardline: Not a bad perk but I would only recommend this with high killstreaks and game modes where people will not be launching constant grenades.

Toughness: Not sure how people play without it. In a gun fight, the person who has toughness will win every time. Believe me. It reduces the flinch by a crazy amount and you definitely need it.

Scavenger: I love scavenger because I hate running out of ammo and picking up people's guns. Very useful.

Tac Mask: Great perk for game modes such as HQ, HP, Domination, CTF and really anything other than TD and KC. You dont want to be slowed down by a shock charge or concussion near a bunch of enemies.

Extreme Conditioning: Very effective while rushing or trying to beat someone to a spot but not 100% necessary. The maps are small enough to leave this out but beating people to head glitches is always good.

Dexterity: Must have. Along with climbing faster, you aim faster after sprinting. This is something I think everyone should use if they find themselves getting out gunned. Use dexterity and get the first shot off. In close combat this could make all the difference.

Cold Blooded: Not like previous games. IMO this perk is useless and takes up space for toughness and scavenger. People who use target finders and thermals will still see you, just not a big red ring or glowing object. Forget about sentry guns and other stupid scorestreaks people may use. You dont need this one.​
Fast Hands: Great perk if you use c4 or stuns. Other than that I really dont see the need for it. With the classes I will show you, there will be no room for equipment so this perk isnt needed.​
Hard Wire: So pointless its unreal.​
Engineer: With flak jacket engineer is useless. You will not die by bouncing betties or claymores.​
Dead Silence: Needed for search, but other than that, makes no sense.​
Awareness: Only useful in search. There are so many random noises everywhere that it just doesnt make sense.​
Now that I have explained some grey areas with attachments and perks I will show some classes that are extremely good. Any combination of the good attachments and perks will do fine.​
Hard Point / Headquarters
PDW - Silencer + Fast Mags​
Ghost + Flak Jacket​
Scavenger + Toughness​
Dexterity​
MSMC - Quickdraw + Fast Mags​
Ghost + Flak Jacket​
Toughness​
Dexterity + Extreme Conditioning​

MSMC - Laser + Fast Mags​
Ghost + Lightweight​
Toughness​
Tac Mask + Extreme Conditioning​

Domination
PDW - Silencer + Fast Mags​
Ghost + Hardline​
Scavenger + Toughness​
Dexterity​

MP7 - Silencer + Fast Mags​
Ghost + Flak Jacket​
Scavenger + Toughness​
Dexterity​

Search and Destroy
PDW - Quickdraw + Silencer​
Lightweight​
Toughness​
Dead Silence + Extreme Conditioning​
Semtex​

Final Tips and Tricks
1. ALWAYS use atleast 1 of the following 3.​
-Dexterity
-Quickdraw
-Laser
2. Learn the maps​
-Know where people go
-Learn safe routes where you will not need to get a long range kill
3. Use the right perks that will give you an edge​
4. Just because you have an SMG doesnt mean you need to always be moving or continuously rushing the spawn. They are great for defending.​
I hope this was helpful to some people and hopefully you have more fun with the submachine guns :smile:

ThE 0n3

ThE 0n3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
IMO chicom is better than all of them except the Pdw. Difference is you actually have to aim & scorpion should be at the bottom. Also quickdraw is unnecessary w/smgs when you have dexterity.

Silencer + fastmags + lightweight + toughness + dexterity + tac insert + akimbo five sevens + whatever lethal. --> best smg setup.

EDIT: In case you were wondering. Why lightweight over ghost? -- by the time the other team sees your dot you will be a good distance away from it. (if uavs are that big of a problem counter UAV fixes it)

Why akimbo five sevens? -- I have diamond pistols and these things will out shoot anything (even shotguns) at close range. Also the 20 bullet mags make it a better choice over the kap 40s where you practically must reload after every kill.

Last edited:
MrHoezey

MrHoezey

☆ℳinecraft мøḓẕ☆
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
No offense, but you should not number the submachine guns in order from "most effective to less effective" without any good source nor information. Otherwise, it would be based on your opinion. That's the only thing that bugs me. otherwise, it's a good guide. :tongue:

mvp20m

mvp20m

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Good tutorial! Maybe you should make one for ARs...?

thanks! even though i dont use the ARs that often i might consider posting about them in the future

IMO chicom is better than all of them except the Pdw. Difference is you actually have to aim & scorpion should be at the bottom. Also quickdraw is unnecessary w/smgs when you have dexterity.

Silencer + fastmags + lightweight + toughness + dexterity + tac insert + akimbo five sevens + whatever lethal. --> best smg setup.

EDIT: In case you were wondering. Why lightweight over ghost? -- by the time the other team sees your dot you will be a good distance away from it. (if uavs are that big of a problem counter UAV fixes it)

Why akimbo five sevens? -- I have diamond pistols and these things will out shoot anything (even shotguns) at close range. Also the 20 bullet mags make it a better choice over the kap 40s where you practically must reload after every kill.

i dont like the chicom because it is a burst gun and im not a fan of the iron sight. from close range the most powerful gun in the game is the scorpion. the ROF is insane and it is already more powerful than any other SMG available. it makes it extremely good, but very inaccurate past mid range. i usually wont use quickdraw with dexterity or with a laser because they all serve the same purpose. like i said, use 1 of the 3 between dexterity, laser, and quickdraw. as you can see, i usually never run a secondary other than when i snipe or play search. the secondaries however are very good in this game.

No offense, but you should not number the submachine guns in order from "most effective to less effective" without any good source nor information. Otherwise, it would be based on your opinion. That's the only thing that bugs me. otherwise, it's a good guide. :tongue:

solely based on my personal experience haha but thanks!

ThE 0n3

ThE 0n3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

Maybe it's just me but I like the iron sights on the chicomb and I can shoot is as fast as a full auto gun. And I agree the scorpion is good at close range but the fact that all other smgs can shoot better at mid rage makes it a not as good of a choice for me. But very good guide for newbies. You should aslo add tac insert to your guide for demolition and such.

And honestly five sevens save my a** so many times (Switching to a pistol is faster than reloading -- even with fast mags). I'll take them over an extra perk any day lol. I'd recommend them for anyone.

O

Just James

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Long barrel does effect the weapons damage over ranges. The Scorpion and Chicom see very little improvement, but the Vector, PDW and MSMC all get a decent bonus; the last two actually get a larger buff than the others. The PDW's effective range with long barrel becomes the same as the base MSMC.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

cyan:wave2:Buying burnt food!
Retired
Lifetime
AzzidReign Jr End of the Year 2012 Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I stopped reading at "If you are ADS with a SMG, you are using it wrong".

I'm sorry, but a lot of your information is incorrect and very contradicting.

mvp20m

mvp20m

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Long barrel does effect the weapons damage over ranges. The Scorpion and Chicom see very little improvement, but the Vector, PDW and MSMC all get a decent bonus; the last two actually get a larger buff than the others. The PDW's effective range with long barrel becomes the same as the base MSMC.

sure, on the stats under the gun when you are creating a class it shows a boost. that doesnt mean there is an actual boost in the gameplay. you can go to youtube and watch people who have done tests on the long barrel. it adds nothing.

I stopped reading at "If you are ADS with a SMG, you are using it wrong".

I'm sorry, but a lot of your information is incorrect and very contradicting.

well if you are aiming down a sight with a submachine gun you (IMO) are using it wrong. this wasnt made for YOU so thanks for trolling. i just made this to help people out a little. you dont have to follow it. just trying to help.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

Retired
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
well if you are aiming down a sight with a submachine gun you (IMO) are using it wrong. this wasnt made for YOU so thanks for trolling. i just made this to help people out a little. you dont have to follow it. just trying to help.
lol. I'm not trolling. You suggested the quickdraw attachment, then say not to ADS. That's extremely contradicting.

And actually, Long Barrel and FMJ do work, and the Fore Grip does not. Look up Drift0r on youtube, he has videos of himself testing attachments.

mvp20m

mvp20m

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
lol. I'm not trolling. You suggested the quickdraw attachment, then say not to ADS. That's extremely contradicting.

And actually, Long Barrel and FMJ do work, and the Fore Grip does not. Look up Drift0r on youtube, he has videos of himself testing attachments.

every video i have seen shows no difference. i havent seen an update after those videos so i am going on what i have seen and my personal experience. im not saying always hipfire ... i actually say its a terrible idea (hence the "always have 1 of 3 - dexterity, laser, or quickdraw). im saying dont use a sight on the SMGs. if you are sitting some where looking down a sight, you are using it wrong and that could be why you arent doing well. they are made to post up long range and people try to make them into assault rifles with sights. dont do it. thats what i am saying. there is nothing contradicting about that.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

Retired
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
every video i have seen shows no difference. i havent seen an update after those videos so i am going on what i have seen and my personal experience. im not saying always hipfire ... i actually say its a terrible idea (hence the "always have 1 of 3 - dexterity, laser, or quickdraw). im saying dont use a sight on the SMGs. if you are sitting some where looking down a sight, you are using it wrong and that could be why you arent doing well. they are made to post up long range and people try to make them into assault rifles with sights. dont do it. thats what i am saying. there is nothing contradicting about that.
I think the videos you watched were testing them wrong then.
Gun + Long barrel: 3 Shot kill up to 15m, 4 Shot kill from 15.1m to 25m, 5 shot kill from 25.1m onward.
Gun + Suppressor: 3 Shot kill up to 5m, 4 Shot kill from 5.1m to 15m, 5 shot kill from 5.1m onward.

So, if they did the testing at 30m, it would appear that there is no difference. The gun will always be a 3 to 5 hit kill, no matter the attachments.

Edit: Here is a video that talks all about it =]

mvp20m

mvp20m

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I think the videos you watched were testing them wrong then.
Gun + Long barrel: 3 Shot kill up to 15m, 4 Shot kill from 15.1m to 25m, 5 shot kill from 25.1m onward.
Gun + Suppressor: 3 Shot kill up to 5m, 4 Shot kill from 5.1m to 15m, 5 shot kill from 5.1m onward.

So, if they did the testing at 30m, it would appear that there is no difference. The gun will always be a 3 to 5 hit kill, no matter the attachments.

Edit: Here is a video that talks all about it =]
i watched the video but that is only with a shotgun. im not sure how that has anything to do with the SMGs. ive also read all the numbers and what guns are supposed to do but that never translates into the gameplay. i really do appreciate your input though and will consider it in future games.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

Retired
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
i watched the video but that is only with a shotgun. im not sure how that has anything to do with the SMGs. ive also read all the numbers and what guns are supposed to do but that never translates into the gameplay. i really do appreciate your input though and will consider it in future games.
He was using the shotgun, but it has the same effect on all guns.

Here is a chart of ALL gun stats if you want to use it for future guides =]
blackopsiiweaponstatist.png

Tricky

Tricky

▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼
Mythical Veteran Grammar Nazi Diamonds Are Forever
Reaction score
Sin$
Misleading Attachments.
- Long Barrel - Stock - FMJ - Sights (Red Dot, ACOG, Target Finder, MMS) - Grip - Extended Mags - Rapid Fire

Fast Mags --- Silencer --- Quickdraw --- Laser
Good Perks
- Ghost - Flak Jacket - Hardline - Toughness - Scavenger - Tac Mask - Extreme Conditioning - Dexterity

Useless Perks
- Cold Blooded - Fast Hands - Hard Wire - Engineer - Dead Silence (Unless it is Search and Destroy) - Awareness

I agree with you 99%. The only SMG I would use Extended mag on, is the MP7, as it loads decently fast with out fast mags. Although I think they should slightly increase the Fast Mags, as they still seem slower then any Slight of Hang perk from all other CoDs.

I have tested the grip with many guns. Standing at the back of the moving truck on Nuketwon 2025, and shooting at the yellow garage at B Domination flag, there is no difference.

I would add Hardline to useless perks. The good thing about Hardline Pro in MW3, is that every 2 assist counts as a kill. But since in Black Ops 2, everything goes to your Score Streak, Hardline is useless, all it does is take off 100 points. Every assist counts towards your score streak now.

Dexterity is in the grey area between Good and Useless. Since it's in the same perk category as Tac Mask, I would chose Tac Mask no matter what game type.

Other then that, good OP bro, very useful for people who are affected by the "Placebo Affect".

mvp20m

mvp20m

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I agree with you 99%. The only SMG I would use Extended mag on, is the MP7, as it loads decently fast with out fast mags. Although I think they should slightly increase the Fast Mags, as they still seem slower then any Slight of Hang perk from all other CoDs.

I have tested the grip with many guns. Standing at the back of the moving truck on Nuketwon 2025, and shooting at the yellow garage at B Domination flag, there is no difference.

I would add Hardline to useless perks. The good thing about Hardline Pro in MW3, is that every 2 assist counts as a kill. But since in Black Ops 2, everything goes to your Score Streak, Hardline is useless, all it does is take off 100 points. Every assist counts towards your score streak now.

Dexterity is in the grey area between Good and Useless. Since it's in the same perk category as Tac Mask, I would chose Tac Mask no matter what game type.

Other then that, good OP bro, very useful for people who are affected by the "Placebo Affect".

Thanks! I agree with. Hard line because I dot use it all that often. I will usually use tac mask and dexterity together. I hate stuns and shock charges so much.

O

Just James

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
sure, on the stats under the gun when you are creating a class it shows a boost. that doesnt mean there is an actual boost in the gameplay. you can go to youtube and watch people who have done tests on the long barrel. it adds nothing.

I'm not speaking in game stats I have tested them myself.

Top Bottom
Login
Register