Complete Bridging Guide From Start to Finish

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Game Modding' started by TehPhelix, Jan 6, 2009 with 239 replies and 26,478 views.

1. TehPhelix

TehPhelix Retired Retired

Ratings:
    GoW2 Complete Bridging Guide
    By: TehPhelix

Okay, first off I would just like to say that this tutorial is to help everybody out that is having problem with either setting up their bridge using Cain and Abel, setting up Zone Alarm Pro, or getting host in GoW2 using these programs. This setup is my own,aka Router Bridging, works 100%. My network setup is currently my xbox connected with an ethernet cable to a router, and my laptop connected through an ethernet cable to the same router. This might work for other methods, I believe wirelessly if connected to the same router should still work as well. This tutorial includes step by step pictures explaining the exact directions.

If you still need addition help with bridging please post in the correct thread. Here http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/gow2-bridging/118292-need-bridging-help-post-here.html
    However if you have specific questions or problems understanding this tutorial please post in this thread and I will help you out.

Resources Needed

Zone Alarm (I have the Pro version, yours might be slightly off)-
    [Click here to view the link]
    Cain - [Click here to view the link]

If you have those both downloaded, make sure in Zone Alarm you turn your firewalls to off for the time being. For the first part I will show you how to set up cain in a very simple guide.

Setting up Cain

Open you Cain, click the Sniffer tab on the top and make sure the tab on the bottom says hosts. It should look like this.
    [​IMG]

Next, you want to make sure you are on the right router, click the configure tab on the top of the window. Here it is highlighted.
    [​IMG]

A window like this should pop up. Now for the average person they would not know which one is theres. Depending, you might have one line or several. The only way to find out is to scroll to the right and check the IP address and description. When you think you have the right one select it then click okay.
    [​IMG]

Now you should be returned to the menu you were before. You now need to click on the Start/Stop APR button, here it is clicked in by the mouse, make sure it is clicked in for on.
    [​IMG]

Next you need to click the blue + sign, in the picture below the mouse is over it.
    [​IMG]

A window like this should pop up.
    [​IMG]

Click okay and it should start searching for IP addresses connected to your router. They will pop up and your screen should now look similar to this. Make sure you look at the description, they will tell you what the IP's are being used for. Depending on how many internet connections you have, many IP's may pop up.
    [​IMG]

Next Click on the APR tab on the bottom on the window
    [​IMG]

Make sure you have one of the ip's selected otherwise the + won't pop up. Now click the blue + on the top of the page. Make sure the Start/Stop APR button is still on.
    [​IMG]

A window like this should pop up.
    [​IMG]

Now is the time to use the descriptions you read about earlier to find out which IP is which. Click the IP of your router on the left side of the column, the remaining IPs should be transfered to the right side. On the right side click the IP of your xbox, or Microsoft. Once that is selected then hit ok.[​IMG]

It should now look like this. Now everytime the Start/Stop APR button is pressed in for on, the bridge is on/active. When it is not pushed in or off, the bridge is off. Here I have pushed it off.
    [​IMG]

Setting up Zone Alarm Pro

Now we will setup Zone Alarm, I will be using Zone Alarm Pro, so open up your program and click on the Firewalls Tab. I would suggest for the time being you put them to off. It should look like this.
    [​IMG]

Next, go to the Zones tab. If you look below you will see several IP's I will now explain them step by step. If you have used Zone Alarm before you should already have the Network, if not use any internet and a pop up will ask you to add a new Network, click allow. Make sure it says Internet. Next, through clicking add IP, put in your IP address which you can get from the internet, check IPchicken.com Then by pressing Add IP range add Xbox Live's IPs and Epics IPs which you can see below.
    [​IMG]

Your bridge and Zone Alarm are now completely setup. Now lets learn how to force host. In an effort to save time I will simply explain how to do it and upload pictures later as I am in a hurry at the moment.

Getting your Friends IP's

1. Turn your Zone Alarm's firewall securities both to off.
    2. In Cain make sure your Start/Stop APR is pushed to ON and leave this window open.
    3. If you are currently poising and your firewall is off, then IP's will start to appear on the bottom connected to you over xbox live. Whether they are in your lobby or in a private chat or party, they will appear on the bottom. Make sure not to add the 192.... because that is NOT their IP. One of them is also Xbox's IP which will be the same every time so do not add that either as it is already in your IP range.
    4. Open your Zone Alarm and in the Zones tab by pressing the add IP, put their IP in and make sure they are under trusted.

Bridging Host In Gears of War 2

1. Make sure you have a full party and all their IP's are in the trusted zone in your Zone Alarm.
    2. Before starting put your Zone Alarm Internet Security to High and your Trusted Security to medium.
    3. Then open Cain and go to the APR tab in Sniffer and click Start/Stop APR to put turn your bridge on.
    4. As soon as you turn the bridge on start the game.
    5. Wait 10 seconds or so.
    6. Then move your Internet Security Tab to Medium.
    7. Eventually you will connect to a game and you will be host. You can now adjust the tab's to high to standby or whatever you wish. Enjoy cheating

Please feel free to ask me any questions or leave me any comments and I will be happy to answer them. I will post those questions here with the answer in order to prevent further questions in the future. If you would like me to add anything please request that hear as well.

Coming soon....

• Added pictures for getting host
    • Added pictures for finding friends IPs
    Frequently Asked Questions

• Why can't I connect to games quickly or at all anymore? Why is it only saying half routing in my cain? Try powercycling your router. You can do this by unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds, then plugging it back in. Also try refreshing your matchmaking by starting a search in another gametype then ending it and going back. Or maybe try a new gametype in general. If those don't seem to work you most likely need to open your NAT. In order to do this follow this tutorial. http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox-360-tutorials/107066-opening-nat.html FROM NOW ON I DON'T WANT ANY POSTS ASKING HOW TO OPEN MY NAT.

• Like Like x 28
  2. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    Finally a tutorial that shows how to use cain and able.

3. Ninja Turtle

Ninja Turtle Its all Gucci

Ratings:
    my cain is constantly crashing and every time i use it in wingman no one is ever connecting to my match is it possible that i got host banned

4. OP
    TehPhelix

Ratings:
    Your cain crashing has nothing to do with being host banned. I would try re-installing it. Make sure if you are on vista you right click and run as administrator. Like Krank said previously in order to stop the crash keep your task manager open. Please explain the Wingman section of your question a little better. Are you trying to search for a match and you can't connect, or you host a private match and they can't connect, or what?

Also, if you read the top of my thread I clearly stated any questions not specifically relating to this tutorial but relating to bridging should be posted in http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/gow2-bridging/118292-need-bridging-help-post-here.html

5. jury ben

jury ben Enthusiast

Ratings:
    All he did was rip Kafty's guide...

6. OP
    TehPhelix

Ratings:
    I wrote this from scratch and took those pictures myself, how did I rip Krafty's guide? BTW make sure you spell his name right next time you accuse me of something. I wrote this from experience, I took those pictures of my exact setup using IrfanView. I really don't appreciate you making accusations without having actual proof of it.

7. ev0

ev0 Newbie

Ratings:
    Takes FOREVER to finish scanning mac addresses.........

8. jury ben

jury ben Enthusiast

Ratings:
  9. OP
    TehPhelix

Ratings:
    Really, he used the same program as me to take the pictures, you can ask him if you like. There was a tutorial posted on how to take quick screenshots. In half on the pictures my mouse is in a different place than his and I have completely different descriptions so how exactly did I copy his again?

10. P R O L II K E

P R O L II K E Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Stop accusing people he didnt take anything~!

• Like Like x 1
  11. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:

You can change the range if you want so it will only scan for things that you know already.

12. Nubble

Nubble Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Well done Phelix, another nice tutorial!

13. DearestBRAVO20

DearestBRAVO20 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    sorry i know you already stated this in your tut. but if i do this with both my connections for my pc and xbox wireless, it will still work?

14. OP
    TehPhelix

Ratings:
    I believe if they are connected to the same router, I am not exactly sure though.

15. DearestBRAVO20

Ratings:
    ok. now im setup with cain but i have a question about it. im using an xbox original wireless adapter for my xbox 360 so the adapter itself has its own ip. this is what it shows up as:

the .107 is my adapter and the .105 is my xbox, so which ones should i select for the bridging?

16. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    Try poisoning with one, if one doesn't work try the other.

I sometimes get 4 local ips for my xbox 360 and mines plugged into my router.....so it shouldn't matter.

17. MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    Yes exactly.

18. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    For the people that dont know how :smile:

19. DearestBRAVO20

Ratings:
    alright so it does work with all the wireless stuff i was actually very surprised. I put my router in the left box and xbox in the right and it worked. I dont know about my xbox's adapter i didnt try that cuz it works fine the other way.

Edit" I cant find a way to find peoples ip's tho. They dont show up in cain and they dont show up in commviewer. I might have to use switchsniffer just for viewing the ip addresses

Edittt: The only way other than switchsniffer is using the zone alarm alerts and logs which kind of sucks

20. I am iNSaNiTY

I am iNSaNiTY Contributor

Ratings:
    you beat me to it, i took pics and everything, but my internet wont load se7 for the last few days, GAY. o well, good job