Discussion COD Infections Explaination

• Thread starter pcfreak30
  • Start date
  • Views 1,897
P

pcfreak30

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just felt compelled to share this bit of information to the less skilled and those still learning.

First let me explain what a "DVAR" is. To put it short, it is a game setting/variable in game RAM. There are CVARS as well which are in career. CVAR's may apply online, but I honestly got them confused myself. If anyone would like to explain DVAR vs CVAR I would appreciate it :smile:.

Now infections are JUST setting DVARS via "CFG" A.K.A. client command strings.

Now how they work is this. The two main exploits/methods used were "activeAction" and "ui_mapname" DVAR's.

activeAction was founded by teh1337. It was leaked, sadly partly due to me and mistrusting someone which I have long learned. Read my old site blog entries if you care.

ui_mapname was credited to a guy named lee.

activeAction is a simple thing. When set it gets executed on the 1st frame AFTER you spawn in the game. By executed I mean the value gets read as cfg/command string and ran. Its equivalent to "vstr activeAction" internally. Thats why it is used in "DLL"''s which BTW are just an XEX (xbox binary file) library renamed.

ui_mapname though is a bit more interesting. It seems that the value of this DVAR is used to look up info in a CSV file in a fastfile. That info is the filename of artwork to show on the screen UI. So if you set it to mp_rust, it loads the rust preview picture. Since we set it to something that isn't in the table, we get the infamous checker picture.

Now here is what most people DON'T know or realize that I am going to publicize based on my snooping. ui_mapname is NOT executed. What actually happens is it copies ui_mapname to mapname. mapname is a read-only DVAR that can only be changed via RTE (Real-Time Editing).

From there mapname is executed. The thing about it is mp_rust and other mapnames are kind of secret pseudo commands. They only work in this place like some commands only work in menu files. When executed it parses AS CFG. So if you have "mp_shipment;setplayerdata prestige 10;uploadStats;disconnect" , it actually executes mp_shipment, and then the rest...

So for now these are the two biggest exploits for running CFG/infections as no other DVAR's ave been found and released publicly... You find a way to use them and you have a good chance at mods.

IW/TreyArch NEVER learn and probably never will. They use the same engine in cod period and as long as they do nothing will change.

Enjoy this info release. Thought some info should be given out.

Peace..

S

Scott Mescudi

▬▬▬ ♛ ▬▬▬
Reaction score
Nice info pcfreak! I guess the flame war made all the previous comments disappear :wink:

X

xSkyy

Gray Hat <3
Reaction score
Nice didn't even know any of this. :tongue:
Thanks for the info, learned a lot today.

U

Unbound 7s

0x50676f573
Reaction score
I see the 4 pages full of flame comments were deleted. Guess I will say again nice information for people wondering how the infection system works etc. nice one derrick keep it up man.

I

ItZ UGSTA

We Come, We Rave, We Love
Reaction score
I see the 4 pages full of flame comments were deleted. Guess I will say again nice information for people wondering how the infection system works etc. nice one derrick keep it up man.
That's the thing, you try and have a debate/discussion on here and gets counted as flaming :/
But good work Derrick, good to see you contributing once again!

B

bbbilly56

Hi this is my title
Reaction score
good work
(yep I am just another guy saying it for the post count)

Top Bottom