• Thread starter Adam Kessler
  • Start date
  • Views 15,805
Adam Kessler

Adam Kessler

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey all,

Before anyone goes on a rant, I did search the threads and could not find any open threads about this. If there is already one then I do apologize, but I was not able to find it.

I have an RGH and would like to upgrade the internal HDD. Is it possible to simply clone the original HDD and put it on the new HDD? I know that FTP is an option, but it is unavailable to me as I live on a University campus and have little to no control over my network. Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-DoC-

-DoC-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you have a Xbox 360 transfer cable that will be the easiest way if you can't FTP.

It will allow you to directly connect your internal to your pc and then you can copy everything back over to the new drive.

I'm not sure how big your original hard drive it but if you have a 20 gig you could also get a 32gb USB thumb drive and copy everything over that way as well.

Adam Kessler

Adam Kessler

Reaction score
Sin$
Is the method you are referring to a simple copy and paste?

Do you know if a Hard Drive cloning program like Clonezilla will work? I have the necessary cables to connect my HDD to the PC, I just wasnt sure if those programs would work.

Adam Kessler

Adam Kessler

Reaction score
Sin$
If you buy the transfer cable you can do it right from the Xbox.

I hate to be too specific, but do you know if it HAS to be the xbox transfer cable or could I use a Sata to USB cable? I have a HDD enclosure and I am basically wandering if that would work?

Thanks for all the replies

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
-DoC-

-DoC-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm just telling you the easiest way. I don't copy and paste.

If you want to use a sata cable and power from your PC you will have to open the HD shell and remove the 2.5" HD first. You will need the correct torx to open it.

TheyCallMeNemo

TheyCallMeDeus

Getting There
Bright Idea Jokester Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
I hate to be too specific, but do you know if it HAS to be the xbox transfer cable or could I use a Sata to USB cable? I have a HDD enclosure and I am basically wandering if that would work?

Thanks for all the replies
I've never tried it with sata. I would assume not, since it would require drivers...

-DoC-

-DoC-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
X360 explorer (or Xplorer I think its called) will allow you to view and copy files from your xbox drive.
I'm on my phone so I don't recall the exact name.

But you can pull out the connector in the phat HD shell to use.

Transfer cable will be your best bet without FTP access to the console.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Awesome, I will try those. Thanks for the responses!
Those are the two easiest methods. Basically the transfer cable lets you do it directly on the xbox while plugging the hard drive in via SATA lets you do it on your computer. The SATA method takes a little longer but is still pretty easy.

Skeletons

Asus ROG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Best bet is to use a transfer cable, quick, cheap, and simple.. Just plug the transfer cable into the USB port, and the other end onto the new harddrive.. Go to settings and just copy or move the files/games/and profiles that you want to.. Then just take out the old hdd and put the new one in and you'll have everything on the new drive.

Adam Kessler

Adam Kessler

Reaction score
Sin$
I purchased an official MS Xbox transfer cable and it worked like a charm. I was hoping that a standard USB to Sata connector that I had would work, but the xbox wouldn't recognize it. Thanks everyone for the input and solution.

Top Bottom
Login
Register