Choosing a Static IP address for Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by WishMaster, Feb 24, 2009 with 47 replies and 60,137 views.

Was this tutorial helpful?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
    Choosing a Static IP address for your Xbox 360

(This tutorial will show you step by step into choosing a Static IP address for your Xbox360, for faster connection, and higher chance to be able to bridge in games for ex: Gears of War 2, if you have any questions regarding this tutorial, please do no hestitate to ask. Thank You.)

Below is a helpful link to learn how to Forward Port your console, it also lists many routers to show you how to as well, if you do not find your routers model number, please ask me and i will do all i can to help you.
    [Click here to view the link]

Choosing a Static IP address for your Xbox 360
    A -VERY- important part of setting up a Static IP address on your console is CHOOSING an appropriate number to assign to the console as its permanent, "static" IP address.

There’s more to it than just picking any old number at random, and the number your console has been using up until now may NOT be an appropriate choice.

This is because some routers may have trouble forwarding ports to IP addresses which conflict with their DHCP server address range. That is, if the IP address on the console is the same as one which the DHCP server might assign, the Port Forwarding may FAIL.

So the FIRST step in setting up a Static IP address is to find out what range the DHCP server is set up for, and choosing a number that will NOT conflict with that range. Log into your router and look for a page that tells what the DHCP Server configuration is. This is usually found under "Advanced Configuration" and then "LAN" (or similar wording).

(Note: Yours may be different depending on which company your are using.)

[​IMG]

Once you’ve found the DHCP Server page there should be one of two different ways of displaying the RANGE of addresses in the server.
    The first is the simplest. It gives the "Starting Address" and the "Ending Address" (or "Low" and "High")

Thus for example if you see:

Starting Address 192.168.0.100
    Ending Address 192.168.0.150

The "Range" of the DHCP server is FROM 192.168.0.100 TO 192.168.0.150
    The second way the DHCP Server range can be displayed is to give the "Starting Address" and the "Number of Clients" (or "Number of Addresses")

Thus for example if you see:

Starting Address 192.168.0.10
    Number of Clients: 50

The "Range" of the DHCP server is FROM 192.168.0.10 TO 192.168.0.60 (50 addresses, starting at 10)

You must choose a number from 2 through 254 which does NOT fall within the DHCP server range, and which does NOT duplicate the address already being used by the router (the IP address you type to log into the router)..

So in the first example you would be safe choosing a Static IP Address for your console of 192.168.0.151

And in the second example you could safely choose 192.168.0.61, because these numbers are OUTSIDE of the DHCP Server range.

NOTE- This is important!

The "Range" of the DHCP server is INCLUSIVE.

That means when we say (just for example, your router will probably be different) :

Start address 192.168.0.100
    End address 192.168.0.150

It means you CAN'T USE .100 OR .150 OR ANY of the numbers between them.

In most cases, all you’ll need to do is check the "range" of the DHCP server and pick a safe IP address outside that range for your console.

BUT- there IS one situation which will require you to make a change to the ROUTER setup BEFORE you can go on.

If you discover the DHCP server is set to use ALL possible IP addresses, then that leaves NO safe addresses for YOU to use.

Starting Address 192.168.0.2
    Ending Address 192.168.0.254 <-- This leaves NO addresses free for YOU to use.

If the DHCP server is set to use the entire range, from .2 through .254 then you will have to CHANGE the higher figure to something lower in order to free up some addresses that will be safe for YOU to use.

On the DHCP server page, CHANGE the "Ending Address" from .254 to something like .200
    (Note: Yours may be different depending on which company your are using.)

[​IMG]

Starting Address 192.168.0.2
    Ending Address 192.168.0.200 <-- This leaves 54 addresses free for YOU to choose.

That will make the "range" of the DHCP server from .2 through 200 then you can choose any address higher than .200, in this example, 192.168.0.205

Click the "Apply" or "OK" button, then if necessary, REBOOT the router to make the change take effect.

NOTE for SPEEDTOUCH routers-

If the Starting Address and Ending Address say:
    and
    it means your router is using ALL possible addresses, and must be changed.

HOWEVER- there is a "trick" to changing the DHCP Server Starting Address on SOME Speedtouch routers.

Click this link if you have a Speedtouch for a guide to setting the DHCP server on those models:

[Click here to view the link]

NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT!! We are picking the LAST set of digits in the IP address ONLY..!

The FIRST THREE sets of digits MUST be the SAME as the ones the router and the DHCP server uses.

Thus, if YOUR router uses 192.168.2.1, then you MUST pick a Static IP address that begins with 192.168.2

If YOUR router uses 10.0.0.1, then you MUST pick a Static IP address that begins with 10.0.0

Again- we’re ONLY changing the LAST set of digits.

Once you've finished this procedure, the address you decided on, and configured in TCP/IP Network Properties will be your "Static IP Address".

Whenever anything asks for your computer's Static IP Address, this number is what it's asking for.

NOTE- If your Xbox Live connection stops working when you apply a Static IP address, the reason usually is that you need to find out what your "DNS Server" addresses are.

THIS should fix your problems of having being kicked out of xbox live after bridging (force hosting) in a game. BECAUSE the Static IP address is outside the range of your DHCP, meaning your LAN should be open.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Twis7eD

Twis7eD Banned

Ratings:
    Very good tutorial:thumbup:,but I already have my Static IP set up.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
    Thanks.:smile:
    Hehe, is it working 100%? =o

4. xJimmyy

xJimmyy Enthusiast

Ratings:
    When i bridge.. shud the static IP belong to my computer or my xbox? also when i do share my laptops connection my xbox normally has an IP like: 192.168.0.1 orrr... 192.168.0.255

5. OP
    WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
    the static ip should belong to your xbox.
    Yeah thats normal, just replace the xbox's original ip with a static ip.

6. Glocks Burn

Glocks Burn Enthusiast

Ratings:
    gam3pwner if you could help me my xbl name is dyme bagz.

7. OP
    WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
    Yeah, sure thing. I'll add you tomorrow,
    need to get some sleep.

8. Glocks Burn

Glocks Burn Enthusiast

Ratings:
    thanks i appreciate this alot.

9. OP
    WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
  10. Glocks Burn

Glocks Burn Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Game I actually found my problem with the IP conflict I had. My Laptop and XBOX were trying to use 1 IP address so I hooked em both to the router got my xbox IP and manually stuck it in the Network config and it works. Dynamic is a bia!

11. OP
    WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
  12. lampshadehat

lampshadehat Newbie

Ratings:
    So I have a problem connecting to Live, and it's driving me NUTS! Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Here's my configuration:
    Router->Wireless->Tower (Vista)->Wire (regular, don't need a crossover because my NIC is gigabit)->XBox 360

I've bridged the wired and wireless card successfully, and the bridge obtains an ip/dns automatically (haven't changed any settings here)--I am able to connect to the internet on my pc.

I've entered in the following manual settings into my Xbox 360 (automatic doesn't work, either):
    IP: 192.168.1.210
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Def Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Primary: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Secondary: 192.168.1.1

I've set the IP to 210 to make sure it's out of my router's ip assignment range (it assigns from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.200).

Yet EVERY test connection to Live brings me an IP Address failure, "Your gateway did not respond to a network request."

Now I know my pc is sending traffic over to the Xbox because the "Act" light on the Xbox's network settings page flashes yellow, so the bridge is clearly functioning.

What am I missing? :.(

Thank you!

13. Jelloow

Jelloow Newbie

Ratings:
    Need some help please,

My DHCP server is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.21
    So i set my xbox to 192.168.1.22 but if i connect to xbox live test it wont work.
    Somebody know why?

14. OP
    WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
    You should re-read the tutorial.
    Your DHCP server is begins at .2 and ends at .22 and you chose .23,
    Basically there is only 20 ip addresses to choose from, so change the ending of your DHCP to something like 200 or so, then try again.

15. idrum2loud

idrum2loud Newbie

Ratings:
    i am new to all this...but i am just going to ask.

If i have my ip banned by bungie in Halo 3 matchmaking, will doing this reverse being banned?

16. OP
    WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
    No, bungie in Halo 3 bans your IP Address from your router, not the one on your xbox 360, so if you do get banned you will need to request the company a new one which usually costs around $10-$20 varied by the company.

17. jester

jester The One and Only Retired

Ratings:
    Hahahah, wrong.

18. OP
    WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
    Nope, am not.:mellow:
    Friend of mine did the same, he got banned, just changed his IP from his xbox 360, could not play still, he had to trash out $15 to change his IP from his router.

19. jester

jester The One and Only Retired

Ratings:
    1) Halo either bans you by gamertag or by console (MAC Address)
    2) Getting a new router helps neither
    3) You don't have to get a new router to get a new WAN IP

I'm sorry if you cant follow that.

20. OP
    WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
    Actually i can follow.
    Thats odd then, maybe my friend got f**ed.
    I never been banned in Halo 3, for now.
    Maybe ill try to get banned once to check it out, lol.