Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
kent55

kent55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
As you can probably guess from the title, this is a course on the essentials of PHP & MySQL. The aim of this course is to provide a solid base in PHP & MySQL to help you progress further into web development using both of these languages, and the end goal, for you to be able to create dynamic websites.

The course will mainly be focused around the basics, but I will delve into object oriented PHP, and together we will build a fully functional blogging script, that will allow admins to login, manage users, create, read, update and delete content from their site.

As I mentioned previously, this course is focused around the basics, so some aspects won't be to best practice, everything of a more "professional" standard will be covered in my "Further with PHP & MySQL" course, in which we'll build our very own forum software using the Model-View-Controller software design pattern.

I will be posting as often as I can, but I'm not going to try and cram it all into one thread. Please let me know what you think (the poll will really help), or if you have anything you'd like to specifically see.

Thanks,

- Matt

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
If it's supposed to be the basics, then why not go over the basics?

kent55

kent55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If it's supposed to be the basics, then why not go over the basics?
This course is to do with the basics, this thread was to see if people would find it useful. I don't quite understand what your talking about.

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
This course is to do with the basics, this thread was to see if people would find it useful. I don't quite understand what your talking about.
Your thread is in tutorials yet you provide nothing of the sort. This thread doesn't even ask if it would be deemed useful or not but is asking what people should suggest you add to it, all the while showing none of it.

kent55

kent55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Your thread is in tutorials yet you provide nothing of the sort. This thread doesn't even ask if it would be deemed useful or not but is asking what people should suggest you add to it, all the while showing none of it.
Fair enough, I see where you're coming from, however the only reason I asked this is so I don't spend a lot of time creating tutorials, when no one seems to be interested. If you haven't gathered this is a big course, I would at least appreciate some people saying they'd find it useful before I put time into it.

So, I'll start creating them, and see how it goes :smile:

P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
You don't write tutorials only if people will read them. You do it because you want to share your knowledge. It's like saying "I'm going to upload YouTube videos just for the views"...you don't upload consistently for that reason you do it because it's something you love and want to share with people.

kent55

kent55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You don't write tutorials only if people will read them. You do it because you want to share your knowledge. It's like saying "I'm going to upload YouTube videos just for the views"...you don't upload consistently for that reason you do it because it's something you love and want to share with people.
I'm afraid, I have to disagree, yes you post tutorials because you want to share your knowledge, but when you post a YouTube video you do it because you want people to enjoy it, the same idea applies here. When a YouTuber wants to start something new on their channel, they'll create a video asking for people's opinion. There is no harm in doing that, nor is there with me doing it here. I am not trying to "do it for views" or "popularity", I'm doing it because I want to. If you read the thread it's a lot of work, and yes it's because I enjoy doing it. So, if you don't mind, I would just like to see if people would find this useful before I start investing my time in creating it.

Last edited:
Im4eversmart

Im4eversmart

The hacks are real
Glitcher Modder Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
It's the internet. Odds are if someone wants to learn something, they search google for it. They aren't going to look for programming lessons from a subsection of a gaming site.

Now people oddly still post tutorials here, but it's because of what coldfire said.

P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
coldfire202 looks like you were put in your place!
I'm not even going to approach the ignorance of this statement.

It's the internet. Odds are if someone wants to learn something, they search google for it. They aren't going to look for programming lessons from a subsection of a gaming site.

Now people oddly still post tutorials here, but it's because of what coldfire said.
Because those of use who make tutorials actually (for the most part) enjoy it and don't give a **** if people are "interested", example? I highly doubt anyone is interested in making Chrome extensions, but I still wrote a tutorial for that because I love doing it and I wanted to share information I knew, even if it get no real audience. I enjoy making tutorials even though I get little to no views. I couldn't care less because I would rather have 1 response from someone who just so happened to find my tutorial who is actually wanting to learn...and I get those comments on YouTube.

None the less, I don't see why you titled this thread what you did...it's misleading for one and this isn't even a tutorial. It's a proposition for a tutorial series on which we see no proof you have the credibility or knowledge to write.

Also, if you actually do this. Dump the "blog script". Do something else. Blog tutorials can be found so easy.
f123de2423fc0610b209b0912c3aecd4.png

So quite your propositions and actually do it, no matter if count(audience = 0).
There's so many people who say they want to "write their own tutorials" and make a thread like this (not limited it this site) and never do it or when they post it's obviously copied from someone else...or the most occurring one is they act like they know what they're doing...but they don't and it's proven in their threads.

TL;DR?
Stop talking, and do it.
We know you can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?
Just write it.

Personal preference?
Until I see proof, I think you're full of ****.
You're brand new (not talking crap about new members, just a statement) and you come here talking about how you can help and provide such an in-depth course ("The aim of this course is to provide a solid base in PHP & MySQL") when there's no proof that you even know what you're talking about? Keep in mind, I'm not hating or flaming, but I am very skeptical when it comes to people in the P&S section because a lot claim to know "a lot" or have "in-depth" knowledge when they don't know diddly squat.

Here's how I would make a proposition in this case.
I would provide info on what I'm thinking about doing and the provide examples showing my current knowledge in it and maybe write a short tutorial for the proposition so people would know how it would be laid out.
Then from there people could respond.

So /rant.
#peaceOutThread
#iHaveAFeelingThisPostIsGettingReported

Please keep in mind, I didn't hate in this post, if you believe I did...you completely missed the point...again.

kent55

kent55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
P pwfdc I see exactly where you're are coming from, and also why you think I'm full of it, yes because you haven't seen any of my work. I do currently have four tutorials on programming.com (1, 2, 3, 4) two of which are verified, but I've always preferred to post them on forums, more of a community feel :smile:

So, I will post some tutorials today, as I really don't like people thinking I'm full of it, and yes, I hate people who copy tutorials too. As for the blog idea, it was merely because for a beginner it's a good "first application" as it were. However I will switch this into building a forum script.

Oh, and I don't at all think you are hating, I appreciate everything you have said.

- Matt

Top Bottom
Login
Register