What's new

Solved Can't Format My SSD.

Madman

Madman

I'm just living life, as if I live twice.
Reaction score
Sin$
When I attempt format my C drive it tells me I can't because I'm using a version of Windows that is on it. My computer is just acting up and I want to format it to start fresh.

Operating System
  1. Windows
Solution
HYX
If you are trying to start fresh with your PC make a bootable USB using Windows Media Creation Tool or Rufus with an iso of your choice. If you are restoring Windows 10 back to factory then I always do so with a USB so you can format the drive from the setup wizard and then you are for sure getting rid of everything that could be bloating/wearing you down.
FELLSILENT

FELLSILENT

Reaction score
Sin$
When I attempt format my C drive it tells me I can't because I'm using a version of Windows that is on it. My computer is just acting up and I want to format it to start fresh.
You're probably trying to format the drive you're actively using, which it won't let you do for a number of reasons.

Are you on Windows 10? If so, I'd recommend going through Settings > Update/Security > Recovery > Reset this PC

HYX

HYX

Administrator
Administrator
Lifetime
Hidden Devils
Scaling the Mountain Programmer Odysseus' Summit
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
If you are trying to start fresh with your PC make a bootable USB using Windows Media Creation Tool or Rufus with an iso of your choice. If you are restoring Windows 10 back to factory then I always do so with a USB so you can format the drive from the setup wizard and then you are for sure getting rid of everything that could be bloating/wearing you down.

Solution
R

robl249

Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I agree with HYX, don't bother formatting it, do that part in the setup of windows.

But if you really want to do it I would try doing it through command prompt

Run cmd as an admin
>Diskpart
>listdisk
>select disk X (replace X for your ssd and enter the command)
>Clean ( wait for the success message )
>format fs=ntfs

Top Bottom
Login
Register