C# or VB.NET

Discussion in 'Programming & Scripting' started by tOxiC x, Jan 4, 2009 with 6 replies and 225 views.

1. tOxiC x

tOxiC x Member

Ratings:
    I am stuck between the two, learning a little of both right now. What one is better, what are the advantages given in each.

2. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    VB is much easier to learn, C# is more powerful. Really what I would do if I were you is if it's your first programming language, learn VB first, then once you're comfortable with it start learning C#

3. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    i actually recommend C#, C++ had an affair with VB and the bastard child is C#, its a C language, formatted more like it, but handles the .NET framework like visual basic, even though VB is practically writing an essay with sh*tty english, you understand actual programming better, C# was my first language, i never program in VB, then again, i am l33t and a genius like that so mebie for others it isnt like that x3 lulz

4. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I still say go with VB, and learn the basics first, then switch when you're ready.

5. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I haven't learned it myself but from what experience I have, I recommend C#. It is not a hard language to pick up (even when you're just beginning) and the learning the syntax will allow you to pick up the other C dialects more easily if you later choose to. Besides that I just think that the VB syntax is horrible and is not a very easy language to work on larger projects with, but that's just an opinion.

6. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I'm not against learning C#, I just say VB is easier to learn the fundamentals of programming with, working with variables, creating functions, etc. Once you learn the basics, learning a more complicated language is easier.

7. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    c# and VB are the same thing practically, you cant say the "fundamentals" are on one only because there are two main differences:
    1 - the intellisense is so much easier with c#, great for beginners
    2 - the formatting of c# is the main difference, how to type commands basically, where VB confused me so much because of it sounded like english where c# actually looked like a computer which i could connect more on what it was doing
    so its more of a preference so to understand everything easier, id go with C#