• Start date
  • Views 34,900
EpicTorrents

EpicTorrents

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Get Past The 4GB File Limit On An External Hard Drive For The Xbox360:

First off as we all know the xbox360 will not read NTFS external drives so that sucks because we all would like to play some HD content on our XBOX. Problem is that most exceed the the 4GB file size limit for FAT32.

Until now the only solution was to burn dual layer disc's but those cost a lot of money and require a re-encodement of the video files which will often make it lose quality. You can also stream the video but if your not on a windows or you don't have a good connection this can be a problem...

So I did some searching around and found out that apple YES I said it apple on some of its computers and iPods use a file system called HFS+. Thatt is a type of you guessed it FAT File System that will be read by the XBOX and will not have a 4GB file size limit!

The only problem is that the file system in windows will not read on by its self. So in lies a new problem, I did some more searching and found a little software called MacDrive it works on XP, Vista and Windows 7. What this program does is let you format a windows based NTFS or FAT32 drive to the HFS+ format and not only does it let your windows base computer see it but It will all so let you put files in it that are over 4GB limit of a normal FAT32 drive. So you can play any type of video content supported by the 360 even if it is over 4GB.

Instructions :

• It is very easy to use and to get set up, you need to chose a HDD, I chose a seagate Free Agent 320GB external drive as my weapon of choice other drives will work fine for this too.
  • Step 1 - Install MacDrive on your computer, let it restart.
  • Step 2 - Start "Macdrive" by clicking the icon from the start menu or desktop.
  • Step 3 - Click on format and repair mac disk, Click modify Mac volumes than choose "Next".
  • Step 4 - Click on the external usb HDD you want to use and than click on initialize disk. Click on "free space" then "new volume". Name the drive.
    Note that this format will erase the drive you chose, so make sure you chose the right one! And if you have any data in the drive make sure its backed up!
  • Step 5 - Make sure format is Mac OS Extended (HFS+). Press OK.
Now your done :w00t:!
Once its done formatting the drive upload you favorite film on there and test it out!

Also this was my first post in this site, hope to be a great part of the community!
Enjoy!

To any mods out there feel free to move this to where you see fit.

Haxalot88

Haxalot88

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Or if you have Windows 7, you could format the drive to exFAT which is also supported just fine. There are probably utilities for those without Windows 7.

Tyler

Tyler

Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips &
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Can also get this.

Has quick format to Fat32, and does it pretty quickly.

Ride

Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Will this work with a usb flash drive or an external hard drive, I'm a bit confused?

Ride

Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Or if you have Windows 7, you could format the drive to exFAT which is also supported just fine. There are probably utilities for those without Windows 7.
Are you sure, I just tried it and my video files didn't show up on xbox

EpicTorrents

EpicTorrents

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Are you sure, I just tried it and my video files didn't show up on xbox

I havent gone agianst what those people have said because I dont know any better but dont try any of that if you want to do this just follow my guide.

Also about the flash drive, I havent tried it myself but if u format the flasdrive the correct way I dont see why it wouldnt work.

Nothinbeter2do

Nothinbeter2do

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
M$ is gonna block this with the next console update.

Why would they do this?

You could, but XeXMenu doesn't support exFAT. Although I don't know if anything else does.

Victoria Justice

UnCle DiiGz

Contributor
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
will this also bypass the 16g limit on non MS HDD i want to know before i delete stuff.

V

vijankush

Reaction score
Sin$
This works!!! Follow my steps:

-Download winrar at http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

-Right click to the file that u want to copy and select "Add to archive"

-On the bottom-left side of the popup box, write down split to volume size number, for example if your file is 4.63 GB you can write down 3 GB in the box, and click OK.

-Wait for it to finish

-Now copy all the files to usb

-Now select the first file "XXX.part1", right click and click extract here

-It should extract your file. Enjoy!!!

MAFINS

MAFINS

Radiated snowboarding and EDM
Reaction score
Sin$
Really? Nobody knew this before? Lol.
I'm not sure if it works on retail though. It works flawlessly for copying data into an RGH/Jtag with no data loss (if done using MacDrive on Windows).

Top Bottom
Login
Register