Building computer part by part..

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by Calamity, Dec 27, 2008 with 14 replies and 271 views.

1. Calamity

Calamity Script Kitty Retired

Ratings:
    I'm gaining money now, so I'm looking for a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, GFX Card, and Case.

Budget is def $800, I would love to spend LESS then $700

Processor - Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Case - I'll find one :smile:

Mainly, I'm stuck on motherboard right now, is what I will be purchasing along with the processor first very soon. Bascially what I want with it is..

-Less than $150
    -6+ SATA 3Gb/s Ports
    -6 USB Ports
    -I would LIKE two PCI 2.0 slots, incase I ever upgraded to SLi (else wise at least one 2.0)

RAM isn't really a tough one being it's basic, if you have a suggestion for it, post it! (P.S, I'm not upgrading YET on ram, it'll be after, unless I get enough money before mobo/cpu)

Video card/PSU I'm not that worried about atm, just getting mobo/cpu first, if you would like to post a suggestion once again for those two, feel free to.

2. Xpargas

Xpargas Seasoned Member

Ratings:
  3. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Any thing good/bad about it? I see the dual 2.0 express slots, but it says one would act as a x8 model, whats the difference of it, and could SLi still be ran?

4. P8BALLER4LIFE01

P8BALLER4LIFE01 Newbie

Ratings:
    SLI isnt a possibility with a P45 mobo. what the x8 means that one lane is x16 which is true 2.0 and another which is x8 for the other lane. if your looking for SLI you will be looking for a 780i/750i motherboard unless your looking into crossfire where you can buy a x38/x48 motherboard

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Thank you, that helps me!

By any chance, I'm not no extreme gamer, but I DO play games some, SLi wouldn't really be necessary unless I played High settings ALOT really would it? (or if I was rich).

EDIT: I'm really looking at this motherboard, it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for basically, DDR2 1200, 6+ USB, 6 SATA, LGA 775. Also two 2.0 slots (I know not SLi).

[Click here to view the link]

Share anything you'd think I'd need to konw about it :smile: I'm most likely buying tomorrow.

6. sillybob123

sillybob123 Newbie

Ratings:
    That is a very nice board bookmarked for me self :thumbup: Though as far as RAM goes at least 8Gb i go for when building my rigs obviously a 64bit operating system is needed if you want more than 4Gb, Dont know if vista has fixed it because i only use XP =]
    i also recommend this site [Click here to view the link] for parts etc... there very cheap although UK prices its pretty much just double for US

Hope that helps :biggrin:

7. I Doughboy

I Doughboy Premium Premium

Ratings:
  8. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    That first one looks really nice :smile:

BUT I wanna spend like 150 on that, when I get that money haha, I don't wanna get some cheap GFX card, BUT I don't wanna have to pay for the NEWEST expensive one ya know? (I know that isn't the newest)

9. P8BALLER4LIFE01

P8BALLER4LIFE01 Newbie

Ratings:
    I suggest the Radeon 4850 since it does really well with good amount fps.

and for motherboard you can use the one you chose or a x38/x48 motherboard which is fantastic for crossfire in the future.

10. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    I was kinda Looking at those DFI boards, how reliable are they over the biostar? I was kinda looking at the DDR2 1200 on the Biostar for a little faster RAM (I believe from what I understand)

11. P8BALLER4LIFE01

P8BALLER4LIFE01 Newbie

Ratings:
    DFI is fantastic, especially when ocing later. i say more reliable then biostar

12. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Damn, the Biostar is out of stock, I'm probably just going to Purchase this, I wanted the Faster RAM speeds in Biostar though.

Lmao, scratch that again..

I'm getting more and more money to buy something, and I just don't want to get some crappy noob board I guess..

13. P8BALLER4LIFE01

P8BALLER4LIFE01 Newbie

Ratings:
    if you do get the eVGA motherboard which is really good, Ive owned few eVGA's before and they have step up programs with there products as well which ill explain later but you will have to buy a nvidia graphics card then instead of the previous card I suggested which was ATI

14. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Yeah, I sorta wanted NVIDIA somewhat, but I'm shooting for that motherboard right now, RAM for it (2x2 GB, which will be 6 total), and a Q9300 Core 2 Quad (yeah I stepped price up ALOT, I just want really good items, and not just something I can get my money for).

But so that's figured out, now I'm off for a power supply, and graphics card, case I'm choosing something with Thermaltake most likely, and GFX I want the 260 edition, would this work for it?

15. P8BALLER4LIFE01

P8BALLER4LIFE01 Newbie

Ratings:
    thermaltake is alright but I really suggest Corsair PSU something around a 750 watt or a PC power and cooling because of the railing they offer in there psu's. Instead of the Q9300 what about the Q9450/9550/9650 they do REALLY well on overclocking because of the stepping. and for ram are you talking about 6 gigs? you should keep it around 4gigs or 8 gigs, 6 gigs is kinda odd. the 260 is nice, im not entirely sure though if they have released the new 55nm 260's or they actually wont I will let you know if I do find out though but the 260 will work nice especially in SLI.