What's new

Solved Building a PC some advice needed.

• Thread starter Troll King
  • Start date
  • Views 1,029
Troll King

Troll King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, my old PC blew up so I've finally decided to build a new one from scratch. I've got an idea of most of the parts I want but I needed some advice on any changes that I should make or alternatives that anyone can see.

~~~~ FINAL UPDATED Parts~~~~
Case: Aerocool X Predator Devil ATX Full

CPU: Intel i7 - 4790K
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3

RAM: Kingston (2 x 8GB) 1866
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB

Edit:
Thanks for all the help folks. In the coming weeks I'll be purchasing the parts and get stuck into building it. Cheers.

Last edited:
denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$
Whats your GPU budget? For a high end gpu, you will need a bigger W power supply eg 500-600W. 
If you use discrete gpu, both monitors will likely have to be plugged into the gpu. Not mobo

Troll King

Troll King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey denz thanks for the reply, I'd be willing to spend u p to $400 Aud for a GPU, thanks.

WorkshopSlave

WorkshopSlave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, my old PC blew up so I've finally decided to build a new one from scratch. I've got an idea of most of the parts I want but I needed some advice on any changes that I should make or alternatives that anyone can see.

~~~~Parts~~~~
Case: Aerocool X Predator Devil ATX Full

CPU: Intel i7 - 4770K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: ASRock Z87 Extreme 3 ATX

RAM: G.Skill X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866
SSD: SG 600 120 GB 2.5 inch
HDD: WD Black 1TB 3.5 inch 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair TM 450W 80+ Gold (FM)

GPU:
Need some help on this one. I have two 27 inch monitors as i prefer to program on one and what not on the other. Not something that needs to be over the top but gets the job done.

Also a quickie:
Is there a noticeable difference having one monitor plugged into the HDMI on the Mobo and one through the GPU OR is it preferred to stick both through the one card?

The rest in terms of mouse, keyboard etc are taken care of. Thanks for any info or advice that anyone can help me with. Just a heads up that i live in Aus in case for whatever reason a card isn't available here. Cheers.
It really depends on what you want to do, if you want to game, don't get an i7, just get an i5-4670k or an FX-8320.
As for the HDD, you might want to get a blue instead of a black, cheaper and you won't see the difference.
You should also get a 600w+ PSU.
16GB might be overkill depending on what you want to do and I doupt you would need a full tower.
Hey denz thanks for the reply, I'd be willing to spend u p to $400 Aud for a GPU, thanks.
I'd recommend either a GTX770 or an R9 280x. Both really good.

Troll King

Troll King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Aight guys I've read up on your suggestions. So I'll go with the blue hdd that's no probs. The graphics card seems good for my budget so I'll go with the GTX 770.

As for the CPU suggested above, the only reason why I'm thinking of going the i7 over the i5 is purely so i don't have to buy another one for a while, however if there really isn't a noticeable difference between them, then I'm fine to go with an i5.

I do like to play games on PC, however as stated above I'll only ever game on one and watch videos or what not on the other so I'm not going for anything extremely overkill.

Thanks for the suggestions if there's anything more please let me know. :smile:

WorkshopSlave

WorkshopSlave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Aight guys I've read up on your suggestions. So I'll go with the blue hdd that's no probs. The graphics card seems good for my budget so I'll go with the GTX 770.

As for the CPU suggested above, the only reason why I'm thinking of going the i7 over the i5 is purely so i don't have to buy another one for a while, however if there really isn't a noticeable difference between them, then I'm fine to go with an i5.

I do like to play games on PC, however as stated above I'll only ever game on one and watch videos or what not on the other so I'm not going for anything extremely overkill.

Well, if you don't plan on doing much gaming, you might be just fine with a GTX760 or something like that. As for the CPU, the only difference between an i5 and an i7 is the Hyperthreading. I'd recommend to get an AMD FX-8350 if you want your CPU to last long.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$

Well, if you don't plan on doing much gaming, you might be just fine with a GTX760 or something like that. As for the CPU, the only difference between an i5 and an i7 is the Hyperthreading. I'd recommend to get an AMD FX-8350 if you want your CPU to last long.

The GTX 770 is more powerful and will last longer than a GTX 760. Also I agree that an i5 will do just fine, but I believe that hyperthreading will come into play sooner or later when it comes to gaming, so whether you decide to get an i7 hoping that's the case is completely up to you. But Nvidia and AMD are both releasing updates that utilize the CPU more and more for gaming.

WorkshopSlave

WorkshopSlave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The GTX 770 is more powerful and will last longer than a GTX 760. Also I agree that an i5 will do just fine, but I believe that hyperthreading will come into play sooner or later when it comes to gaming, so whether you decide to get an i7 hoping that's the case is completely up to you. But Nvidia and AMD are both releasing updates that utilize the CPU more and more for gaming.
But the GTX770 is like 150$ more than the GTX760. The 760 has a better price/performance ratio.
As for the CPU, I'd recommend the 8350 since it has 8-core are games will soon use all of it's core at it's fullest while the i7 only has 4 core and they both have hyperthreading.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
But the GTX770 is like 150$ more than the GTX760. The 760 has a better price/performance ratio.
As for the CPU, I'd recommend the 8350 since it has 8-core are games will soon use all of it's core at it's fullest while the i7 only has 4 core and they both have hyperthreading.
The 8350 has 4 real cores and 4 fake cores on paper it looks great but in real performance intel is better.

WorkshopSlave

WorkshopSlave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The 8350 has 4 real cores and 4 fake cores on paper it looks great but in real performance intel is better.
It has the same performance as an i5-4670k except it's 50$ cheaper, mobo's cheaper and you can overclock it way more. It also has hyperthreading. I'd say the 8350 win.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
WorkshopSlave

WorkshopSlave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That's pretty much what I said. The i5 has better Power/Watt than the 8350 but the 8350 has better price/performance than the 4670k and better overclocking. They both have the same overall score as well. The only reason I'd go with the 4670k instead would be if the electricity price is off the roof where you live or because you find a sub 200$ 4670k.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
That's pretty much what I said. The i5 has better Power/Watt than the 8350 but the 8350 has better price/performance than the 4670k and better overclocking. They both have the same overall score as well. The only reason I'd go with the 4670k instead would be if the electricity price is off the roof where you live or because you find a sub 200$ 4670k.
All of those mark the 4670K ahead of the 8350.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Not the overall performance, which is what trully matter.
157f6781455fe8763b99cfb62d992ea6.png

Multiple cores is dead even, and single core performance (mainly gaming) the 4670K surges ahead.

WorkshopSlave

WorkshopSlave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
157f6781455fe8763b99cfb62d992ea6.png

Multiple cores is dead even, and single core performance (mainly gaming) the 4670K surges ahead.
Do you know many game that take all of the CPU juice right now? I can't think of any. IMO it's not worth getting a 4670k. especially if you want to overclock. /Thread

Top Bottom
Login
Register