Build me a Comp + Setup - $1200 budget

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by Dot, Feb 15, 2009 with 69 replies and 1,195 views.

1. Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings:
    I have been convinced by Azzid to build my own PC instead of buying pre-made.

I am being given a budget of around $1200 for a PC that I can use in college. It has to last me 4-5 years and in good condition.

I am a total newb with building comps right now but I did peek inside an old PC and just messed with things. Keep that in mind.

I have a laptop that i will be using for class in college but I need a bad *** computer to come home too.

I'm going to do everything from:

• Flash
    • Photoshop
    • Video Editing (most popular programs)
    • Office Applications
    • Internet Radio Broadcasting
    • Online Business
    • Daily Computer Usage for all or most of these things.
    Some setups I would like to include with my PC is this:

• OPERATING SYSTEM! I need Vista or Windows 7. Non-pirated.
    • If you go to [Click here to view the link] do you see the A/V cable plugins? I want that on my PC somehow if possible.
    • Really good printer (scan, copy, fax, etc)
    • Decent Speakers (not too fancy needed)
    • A second monitor to dual monitor with (maybe even three if it's within the budget
    • *OPTIONAL* Online radio broadcasting equipment

Please help me out guys! It's for my birthday on March 18th!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy!!!!!!

2. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Windows Vista 64-bit OEM
    [Click here to view the link]

ATI TV Wonder HD 600

Canon PIXMA Printer

Logitech Speakers

G.SKILL 2 x 2GB DDR3 RAM

WD 320GB HDD

Sapphire HD 4850 Gfx Card

Core 2 Quad Q8300 CPU

CM690 Case

Gigabyte Mobo

Thermaltake 500W PSU

LG DVD Burner

Grand Total w/ shipping: $1,035.98

I'd let some people go over it before purchasing; it's late and I am tired. :huh:

3. Nightcast

Nightcast Retired Retired

Ratings:
  4. Madman340

Ratings:
    Lol, knew I missed something. :biggrin:

5. OP
    Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Updated to Nerve's Post

Total w/o Vista:

$1007.89

Total w/ Vista:
    $1107.88

Still waiting on some other posts to confirm this a good setup for what I need.
    What I need is:

• Built to last 4-5 years
    • Fast with Designing Programs and Video Editing Programs
    • Built for Daily Usage

6. OP
    Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings:
    WAIT!... I need a monitor :/
    And i dont need speakers!
    And possibly cheap dual monitors!

7. DotZ

DotZ Newbie

Ratings:
    I would recommend this monitor.

It is a nice 20 inch monitor and it has nice picture quality. I just bought this and I love it! lol.

8. OP
    Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Alright sweet, thanks for the reccomendation.

9. AzzidReign

AzzidReign I don't do modded or money lobbies. NO GTA AT ALL! Administrator

Ratings:
    If you are doing 20" monitor, I wouldn't recommend getting 2 of them. If you are going to do dual monitors, at most get a 17" widescreen.

Why do you need 2 monitors? Also, if you haven't signed up for the newegg newsletter yet, be sure to do that. They've been putting a lot of good stuff on sale and if you are patient, you can prolly collect everything you need within a month and save some money but if you want to buy it all at once you may spend a little more.

Also, I don't recommend a 64-bit vista...I tried it out and hated it. It wouldn't let me run a few of my programs. And it wouldn't let me use cracks for multiple programs I wanted to use. So I've gone to a 32-bit windows 7 and love it :smile:

10. TuBbY BuNnY

TuBbY BuNnY Contributor

Ratings:
    I've been using Vista 64bit for a while now and works fine. Only issue was it BSOD and screwed my MBR since I had unstable OC but that was my fault xD. But W7 is not bad also, too bad it was emo on my x38 chipset drivers, but it was beta

11. ToaD

ToaD Enthusiast

Ratings:
    ...wow

Anyway, what's your reasoning behind only getting dual 17''?
    I've had dual 20s for a while now, and can't even begin to imagine why anyone would recommend against them, except for price, but that clearly wasn't your motive.

Ugh, anyway, to the OP, x64 is the only way to go, it's the future, especially if you get the 8GB Nightcast linked.

12. AzzidReign

Ratings:
    ...wow

Obviously he is on a fixed budget. 20" is just huge and not needed in his case. He might as well upgrade elsewhere to get more "oompf" out of his buck. And honestly, I think dual 17" is over kill for the work he'll be doing on it but that's just me. I think a single 20" would work out just great for him.

13. OP
    Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Hey don't get rowdy you guys! I might get turned on :wink:

lol But seriously Im just gonna get 1 20" and if I need more room i will get another!

14. ToaD

ToaD Enthusiast

Ratings:
    What?
    I'm not trying to start an argument with you, I just have a different opinion.
    I personally would recommend against anything less than 1440x900.
    And even then, I personally, would never buy anything less than 1680x1050.
    I really doubt you'll "need" more space.
    It's just nice to have it, I could never go back to a single monitor.
    Alt+tabbing is the past, I can see everything!

15. AzzidReign

Ratings:
    Ok, if you want 2 monitors and you have money left over, this would be the only 20" I would get:

It will reach 300 bucks if you get 2 so it's "not bad" but like I said, might as well go bigger somewhere else and when you get money later on, buy a new monitor. Monitors are EASY to upgrade to, everything else you will have to open the computer up and it will be more hassle. Plus you can live with having 1 monitor for now...and you can see how it is with just one monitor...and if you truly are having a tough time, wait a few more months til xmas and then you can get a 2nd monitor or until you see a killer deal on newegg.

16. Saiyan

Saiyan Senior Member

Ratings:
    Stick with 1 monitor for now, spend the extra money on better parts. 2 monitors can be bought after the quality of the computer is awesome.

17. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    For what you're trying to do, I would recommend some faster RAM, a larger HDD (by that I mean 1TB minimum), and at least 600W PSU. I wouldn't think you would need a TV tuner card, or even as great of a video card. In fact, even this would do perfectly: [Click here to view the link]
    That suggested processor is fine, although I do suggest at least a 9xxx series. Remember, 3D applications such as 3DS MAX only use the video card for the viewport and related. I can use an x1600 with decent framerates on scenes with well over 300,000 polys, that 4870 would do you perfectly. The CPU is what you're going to want to look into. Video applications and such rely on the CPU to render all their stuff. The faster the cpu, the faster it can render (and do remember the number of cores also count). 3DS Max does wonders with quad-core systems.

Finally, do not consider even TRYING to use an Avid product with a system like that. I know some people want to use that since it's the top-of-the-top video editing system, but the graphics cards required will run you a fortune. You can buy a low-end quadro card for maybe 300-400, but ones for good rendering speeds will run you past 3 grand.

If you still havent gotten a PC yet, and need one for video editing and 3d rendering, I bet I can figure one to suit you. Also, what video software are you planning to use?

18. Madman340

Ratings:
    Vista was included in the build (1st thing on it)

19. OP
    Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Can you make me a setup? You seem to know your stuff :biggrin:

20. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I'll get a list tomorrow during school.