Broken DVD Advice

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by O11Y, Feb 5, 2010 with 0 replies and 178 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O11Y

O11Y Newbie

Ratings:
    Hi All,

I have a 360 with a Hitachi drive that has stopped working. The symptoms were as follows:

-Drive was working perfectly
    -Started making noises like a washing machine / coffee grinder. The drive would still just about read disks
    -Drive stopped reading disks. The noises stopped and instead you could hear the drive slowly spinning up but by the sound of it the speed was nowhere near enough to read.
    -Drive packed in altogether. You can still open / close it but when you insert a disk the drive makes a series of very quiet beeping noises something like this:

Chkk-beep-beep chkk-beep-beep chkk

Sorry, I'm no beethoven I know but you get the idea. Aside from the drive, the Xbox still seems to work perfectly.
    -Finally, the xbox has started showing 3 red rings when you turn it on. NOT ALWAYS, sometimes it starts okay, but sometimes it does. I have a feeling this is connected to the dvd thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is; Would a Hitachi lense repair (like this) fix it or do I need to buy a whole new drive? If I had to buy a drive, could I get away with switching the circuit board or will I have to flash it?

Thanks very much,

Olly