What's new

Discussion "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel" Announced with details.

• Thread starter Sparfire
  • Start date
  • Views 2,229
Sparfire

Sparfire

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
2K and Gearbox Software:
"Blast off to Pandora’s moon for gravity-bending gunfights and experience the never-before-told story about the rise of Handsome Jack"
VkEXeEk.jpg

2K and Gearbox Software announced today that Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel™, an all-new standalone Borderlands game set in-between the award-winning Borderlands and Borderlands 2, is currently in co-development by Gearbox Software and 2K Australia. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will be available worldwide in fall 2014 on the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation3, and Windows PC.

“Borderlands is one of 2K’s premiere franchises, and Borderlands 2 is the highest-selling title in the history of our company,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Fans are clamoring for an all-new, triple-A Borderlands experience, and we will deliver just that with Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.”

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel launches players to Pandora’s moon to experience wild, gravity-bending gunfights in zero-atmosphere environments using an array of all-new weaponry. For the very first time, fans play on the other side as four new playable characters contributing to the rise of the Hyperion Corporation. Fighting alongside Handsome Jack, players witness his transformation into the megalomaniacal tyrant that fans loved to hate in Borderlands 2.

“Since Gearbox Software first created the Borderlands franchise, we never dreamed of this much love and support from gamers,” added Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software. “We are grateful that the incredible talent at 2K Australia has been able to jump in with Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel to help it live up to the high standards that Borderlands fans have come to expect.”

“Gearbox has entrusted 2K Australia with the co-development of their award-winning franchise and we are committed to delivering an all-new shoot ‘n’ loot experience that fans will love,” concluded Tony Lawrence, general manager of 2K Australia. “Fans will see for themselves at PAX East that there’s nothing quite like moon jumping in a low-gravity gunfight, completely freezing a moon bandit with one of the new Cryo weapons, and then shattering him into little pieces that float off into space. It’s pretty epic.”
65d4WnA.jpg

Set between the events of Borderlands 1 and 2, The Pre-Sequel lets players explore a new bunch of characters.

Athena, an NPC in the The Secret Armory of General Knoxx add-on for the original Borderlands. She’s an assassin for Atlas’ private military force, The Crimson Lance.

Athena was also the character shown to press in the demo. Described as a tank-like character, Athena’s action skill is called Kinetic Aspis, which allows her shield to soak up enemy fire and store the energy. With the click of a button that energy can be unleashed with a Captain America-style shield toss.

Wilhelm is the next playable character. Originally appearing as a robotic boss in Borderlands 2, in The Pre-Sequel he’s a human. Or at least he starts that way. As you fill his skill tree, he becomes increasingly cybernetic until, when the tree is complete, he should resemble the robot you faced off against in the previous game.

Next up is a member of the Lawbringer class, who wasn’t named during the press preview. “We’re gonna hold back the details on what she’s all about for later, but she’s in the game,” teased 2K Australia director Tony Lawrence.

The leak suggested this character will be Handsome Jack’s girlfriend and The Sheriff of Lynchwood from Borderlands 2.

We wouldn’t take that as read just yet though, as the leak also seems to have spread some untruths, primarily that you’ll be able to control a character called Fragtrap. However, 2K says the character is actually the adorable/annoying Claptrap himself.

“The camera is very low, but Claptrap makes up for it in other ways,” said Gearbox President Randy Pitchford.

“The story is about Handsome Jack’s rise to power,” added Pitchford, explaining that in The Pre-Sequel, Jack has been thrown off the moon’s base by Hyperion. Starting the game as a man with good intentions, The Pre-Sequel will show how Handsome Jack turned nasty.

Pitchford also added that while the game isn’t exclusively set on Pandora’s moon, it will be where a chunk of the game plays out.

“One of the things that has been sorta taunting us as we played though all of the Borderlands games,” he said, “is the moon that’s always been up there in the sky and that moon base. We’re finally going to get up there, we’re gonna go to the moon. We’re gonna go up to that moon base and see a side of the universe that we’ve never seen before.”

The new setting facilitates a major new addition to the game: oxygen as a resource. Most simply oxygen is something you’ll need when you venture out onto the surface of the moon, in order to keep breathing. But there’s some more interesting applications too.

One of these relates to gravity. On the surface of the moon players can make huge, slow leaps into the air - leaps that can be extended with the use of a jetpack. Yup, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel has jetpacks. Oxygen is what’s used to power them.

There are other new additions too. Within this new lunar atmosphere players are able to ground pound, leaping up and then slamming down to take out multiple enemies with an area of effect attack. And because this is a Borderlands game, you can also augment ground pounds with elemental powers discovered via loot.

Speaking of which, one of the new elements in The Pre-Sequel is ice. Called Cryo Effect in the game, Pitchford said Gearbox had been discussing whether the element should be included for years, but when 2K Australia got hold of it they said, “f*** it. We wanted ice bullets, so we’re gonna make ice bullets!”

Shoot an enemy enough with these bullets and they’ll eventually freeze into a statue, which you can then smash with a satisfying-looking ground pound. Laser weapons were also shown, some of which are reminiscent of a stream from a Ghostbusters proton pack. If there’s not some witty reference from the characters when you cross the streams, we’ll be very disappointed.

Oh and by the way, when you’re out on the surface of the moon and you blow someone up, they spin and float away, out towards space. And if you shoot an enemy’s helmet (not that one), they’ll lose health as they slowly choke to death. Both are lovely details.

So it’s all rather interesting. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel may not be the next generation experience we all want, but it’s more of the Borderlands we all know and love, with a few new bits and bobs thrown in to spice things up. If you’re looking for something to tide you over until Borderlands 3, this should do the trick.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is out in "Fall 2014."

Read more, and watch some footage: https://blog.2k.com/index.php/home/single/announcing-borderlands-the-pre-sequel

Last edited:
Sakuretsu

Sakuretsu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Finally! ICE!!!

It may not be what I was expecting as THE ice element, but it surely will satiate some fans.

Just so much epicness. I can't wait!

SharpGhost

SharpGhost

Reach for the Stars
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit Sinner Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
It's incredibly insane how many suggestions I've seen from fans and us thrown into this game. I remember there being a huge thread discussing what people would love to see in the next Borderlands, and alot of these new features were mentioned there.

I have pretty good feelings about this upcoming game. I don't even think they are trying to nail a huge profit on this one, they might just want to give the fans a game they've been wanting.

VinylicPuma3

VinylicPuma3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Not very happy not being on next gen:thumbsdown:

There is talk of having the Xbox One do 360 emulation. If they could get all of that worked out, then I think it wouldn't really matter whether it's totally next-gen or not. If the Xbox one was backwards compatible, i'd definitely consider buying one over a PS4 in a heartbeat.

I think alot of developers looked at and saw the success of GTA 5 and they aren't going to abandon the old consoles just yet.

wizardeiges

wizardeiges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Soooooo freaking excited! I've been reading everything I can find on this.

incinerator950

incinerator950

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I guess they could make a game out of an expansion with DLC on crap people wanted (Ice element, going to the moon, claptrap playable).

Since this game is outsourced to another company while not taking advantage of Next Gen, my guess is its just to hold people until Gearbox irons out BL3 with minimal resources. That being said, being banned on the 360 and my current financial situation, pass.

W

Wonder Boys

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Reaction score
Sin$
Awesome.....Fall won't come quick enough! :cigar:

CaliburPANDA

CaliburPANDA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This and Evolve coming this Fall! and maybe even Dying Light...

FALL CANNOT COME FASTER!! AHhhhhh

Sparfire

Sparfire

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Invisible Man Invisible Man , check out Claptrap at the end of the video. Public games will never be the same again... :rolleyes: (Not that I ever join any, but I can just picture all the kids wheeling around, lol)

Invisible Man

Invisible Man

Le Penseur
Retired
Scaling the Mountain Journalist AzzidReign Jr
Reaction score
Sin$
Invisible Man Invisible Man , check out Claptrap at the end of the video. Public games will never be the same again... :rolleyes: (Not that I ever join any, but I can just picture all the kids wheeling around, lol)
A public game with me and three kids playing as Claptrap... No thank you. :vomit:

Good thing I like playing solo.:tongue:

W

Wonder Boys

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Reaction score
Sin$
So need one of those Berets.

:woot:

Top Bottom
Login
Register