What's new

Solved black screen after flashing back original nand

fersy

fersy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
hi i started working at this 2 days ago (took a day off yesterday) with not a lot of sucess and now its getting worse :lol:

i attempted to j-tag my box with falcon board, checked it was exploitable dumped my nands, compared them to make sure they were ok, flashed xell to get my cpu key then went ahead and made a freeboot 0.32 image in the toolbox injecting my key into it. tried turning the xbox on and got a single red light in the bottom right quadrant with no video.

checked my secondary error code and it was 1033.

any way thinking it was maybe just bad wiring i removed all the jtag wires and decided to flash my original nand back to ensure all was good with that. flash went ok however when i power up my xbox now theres no video whatsoever. it goes to the middle green light and if i turn my controller on it recognises it and assigns it to quadrant 1 which then lights up as it should.

ive been searching about all morning and trying stuff and now im gazumped.

i was wondering, when i flash back my original nand was i supposed to somehow inject the key back into that before flashing as i didnt or is it something else.

ps. all j-tag and lpt wires are disconnected, ive tried it with hdmi and standard av cable and ive tried holding right trigger and y to reset video settings

i could really use some help with it as its starting to really drive me nuts and it may or may not be something really dumb.

pretty please :smile:

tim008

tim008

Retired Diet Mod
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
hi i started working at this 2 days ago (took a day off yesterday) with not a lot of sucess and now its getting worse :lol:

i attempted to j-tag my box with falcon board, checked it was exploitable dumped my nands, compared them to make sure they were ok, flashed xell to get my cpu key then went ahead and made a freeboot 0.32 image in the toolbox injecting my key into it. tried turning the xbox on and got a single red light in the bottom right quadrant with no video.

checked my secondary error code and it was 1033.

any way thinking it was maybe just bad wiring i removed all the jtag wires and decided to flash my original nand back to ensure all was good with that. flash went ok however when i power up my xbox now theres no video whatsoever. it goes to the middle green light and if i turn my controller on it recognises it and assigns it to quadrant 1 which then lights up as it should.

ive been searching about all morning and trying stuff and now im gazumped.

i was wondering, when i flash back my original nand was i supposed to somehow inject the key back into that before flashing as i didnt or is it something else.

ps. all j-tag and lpt wires are disconnected, ive tried it with hdmi and standard av cable and ive tried holding right trigger and y to reset video settings

i could really use some help with it as its starting to really drive me nuts and it may or may not be something really dumb.

pretty please :smile:
You can`t flash freeBOOT 0.32 onto a Falcon, it has to be 0.31.
Either that or use the new fbBUILD 0.1.

fersy

fersy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You can`t flash freeBOOT 0.32 onto a Falcon, it has to be 0.31.
Either that or use the new fbBUILD 0.1.

oh i used freeboot toolbox 0.032 maker v2.3 to make my freeboot bin and it recognised the board was a falcon and went ahead and made the image anyway. i will try what you have said tho. im actaully in the process of flashing xell back to it atm a it was the last time i saw anything other than a black screen then hopefully if the video displays i will know it wasnt a hardware error such as the gpu. no red lights were showing but i read that sometimes the gpu does not show as rrod. cheers anyway i will update here soon

ok update i flashed xell back and tried it and now im getting 3 red lights with secondary 0022 error code. xell worked fine the 1st time when i got my cpu key.

i really have no clue whats going on now tbh. if i culd even get it working off stock id know where to go from there but as i said above thats no use either.

do i need to inject anything into my original nand before i flash it back or do i just flash it back?

Brother Jordan

Brother Jordan

מספר אחד
VIP
Retired
Sinner Hardened Veteran MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Flash back the original NAND and remove the JTAG wiring. That is how to get it to stock.

fersy

fersy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Flash back the original NAND and remove the JTAG wiring. That is how to get it to stock.

ok cheers mate that answers my question but as i said in my first post thats exactly what i did and got no video or sound but the lights on the ring of light all looked ok and i was able to assign a controller. dont know whats going on now. do you think i could somehow have rrod'd it.
the first time i flashed xell and it worked i powered the machine on without the fan connectedbecause it was open and it was literally only for 10 secs do you think thaty could have caused a fault tho if so how come when i flashed back the stock nand i didnt just get the rrod instead of all good lights and no video.

other than comparing my dumps is there any way i can check the integrity of my original nand dump.

cheers again

Cmitch55

Cmitch55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
are you sure your not getting a no video error you could very well be exsperience no video which would need a reflow and it would have nothing to do with the jtag

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
ok cheers mate that answers my question but as i said in my first post thats exactly what i did and got no video or sound but the lights on the ring of light all looked ok and i was able to assign a controller. dont know whats going on now. do you think i could somehow have rrod'd it.
the first time i flashed xell and it worked i powered the machine on without the fan connectedbecause it was open and it was literally only for 10 secs do you think thaty could have caused a fault tho if so how come when i flashed back the stock nand i didnt just get the rrod instead of all good lights and no video.

other than comparing my dumps is there any way i can check the integrity of my original nand dump.

cheers again
Could be as simple as a bad flash. Did you try more than once?

fersy

fersy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
are you sure your not getting a no video error you could very well be exsperience no video which would need a reflow and it would have nothing to do with the jtag

i said in my post above yours that i was starting to wonder if id inadvertently caused rrod by switching the console on very briefly with no fan to get my cpu key off xell. thing is when i flashed my original nand back all light on the front were fine and it would allow me to assign controllers etc as if it was working fine and there was just not picture or sound. if it needed a reflow should i not have had red lights and if it was the video error that needed a reflow would i not still have had sound?

i gess in short what im asking is how can i find out for sure if its needing a reflow or just a bad flash or problem with the wiring when its not red lighting on the original nand? obviously i dont want to start removing heatsinks etc. on a machine with no history off rrod and reflowig it if thats not the problem

Could be as simple as a bad flash. Did you try more than once?

tbh mate i only flashed the original nand back once and it failed then i tried xell (which had worked before) and it failed and rrod'd. im going to try flashing xell again with the jtag connections still on to see if it works second time around if not i'll have to remove them again and reflash the stock nand to see if it works this time.

when i originall dumped my nand it took 3 dumps before i got 2 that were identical (the first one was wrong so i guess its quite possible it could be a bad flash if im only trying it once. i just wish there was some way i could tell for sure if its a bad flash/ bad wiring or needs a reflow as fixing any of the above is not a problem for me its just with no video and now warning lights on the stock nand its hard to pin down

right to update. i reflashed xell twice more, no red ring all looked ok on that front as it did with the original nand but still no video.

starting to lean towards the reflow as maybe when i ran it without a fan for about 20 secs it heated up enough to cause the fault as it cooled again. just wish there was some way i could confirm that was the issue as i wouldnt want to be reflowing a console that didnt need it as iod certainly be shortening the consoles lifespan unecessarily if thats not what the problem was. i have however read somewhere that no video errors that require a reflow sometimes do not show as rrod.

will i need to do the whole x-clamp fix or just reflow the solder and keep the x-clamps. i have did a few xclamp fixes before all of which were sucessful and are still going strong over a year later so that doesnt bother me i was just wondering would it make any sense to reflow the solder by taking off the fan and letting it over heat as you would when doing the x-clamp fix.

hoping this is not the issue but its looking like it tbh as its evn doing it with no jtag wires connected running the original nand :angry:

J

JrFaust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I couldn't get my Falcon to flash a full nand, only the xell nand worked otherwise I kept getting the rrod even with the original nand, until I replaced the jumper wire with a 330ohm resister.

diagram1.jpg

darkscorpius

darkscorpius

Reaction score
Sin$
You may want to check and see if you have any bad blocks. You can do that by opening your dump in 360 flash tool and it will have a tab with a listing of the bad blocks and their locations. If you do, they may need to be remapped, but that doesn't explain the fact that your original dump isn't working either.

My suggestion is, if you still have the no video issue, you may want to consider trying a donor nand with your config/kv files injected into it. See if it boots to original dash and if it does, you can make your freeboot using the newly created donor nand file.

Top Bottom
Login
Register