What's new

Discussion Bit of conjecture on a weird account, and how Dev Xboxs may function.

PSGAndr3w

PSGAndr3w

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just as a preface, this is all conjecture I've thought up. I haven't kept up with the XB1 modding scene, and as you'll have noticed, I haven't been on S7 in nearly a year. Now! Tinfoil hats on everyone!

So over the past few weeks I've been watching one account in specific, mostly because it has a GT I like. But now I've been watching it for a few other reasons. I noticed it had an OG Gamertag with 4 letters, and less than 1k gamerscore. Now that's normal, right? Old Gamertags are like that, but this one had a custom Gamerpicture, which was only introduced not long ago. It's been a while since the infamous Gamertag purge, and the chances of someone random strolling along and nabbing it before even bots, is slim to none. Also, checking frequently, the profile has stayed on the 'Home' page for weeks.

So I got a bit more curious, and took a look at this profiles achievement page, and by extension, the games they've played. They're very varied, Xbox 360 and Xbox One titles with *a lot* of niche games, like, I'm talking 'Toyota Yaris Arcade game' niche. But there's also a few newer games, such as Overwatch and Slime Rancher. All of them have maybe 1-3 easy achievements to gain, like 'reach level 10' and 'and complete the first level'.

And then I notice a game called 'Arena Game Client' Game Hub, and Store Page linked. No achievements, no captures from anyone, and no activity from devs. A quick Google search alludes it to be the client for Overwatch's supposed Tournaments feature coming soon.

That's all well and good, but I took all the achievements into account. They're all varied, and they all don't have many earned each. The profile seems to be used by Blizzard Devs to test their Tournament Client, so why wouldn't they have kept the profile in-house? Why wasn't it tested solely on Blizzard games? And why has it been left on indefinitely? Which leads me to this assumption which fits well enough.

Microsoft has essentially, an 'Xbox Farm', just Xboxs left on racks that run indefinitely. But that isn't convenient, it means anyone wanting to use an Xbox for testing would have to travel to it. I believe the 'Dev' Xboxs they give out may well be normal Xboxs with some sort of remote streaming feature bundled in or enabled, that would remote into a 'real' Dev Xbox at a Microsoft own facility. Not only is it convenient for testing, it mean MS has effectively cleaned up any chance of a Dev Xbox being leaked and sold to the public, a-la Se7ensins. A 'remote' Xbox could easily just be banned, or disabled by MS after a date for the Dev to return it is expired.

Now, as I said this is all **** conjecture. My tinfoil hat's off lol. What do you guys think? Am I bat**** crazy? Or am I on the right track (thereby enabling my belief of the world being run by lizards)?

HexDecimal

HexDecimal

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Arena Game Client has zero to do with overwatch. Its related to Microsoft's arena/tournament stuff. The remote devkit thing is also bs.

Shady

Shady

Super Moderator
Super Moderators
10th Anniversary Forum Addict Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I dunno man it sounds like it does make sense actually and you do have a few good points there

Top Bottom
Login
Register