• Start date
  • Views 1,263
xOclosedeyeOx

xOclosedeyeOx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Best practices for setting up a Heist Crew
At the beginning I've been struggling a lot with the Heist DLC. Not only because of the connection/server issues but also because most of my friends are extremely busy in real life currently as I do, and it's not always possible to be online at the same time. Which led me to a certain amount of attempts with randoms, which can be a real pain sometimes.
But over time I somehow gathered a set of hints that might be helpful when your friends/crew members are not available. In my last GTA online session I played only for approx. 1 1/2 hour and managed to complete Prison Break and Human Lab with RANDOMS ONLY as Leader (from 1st setup to final heist both), by following those hints that I would like to share with the community. I am on PS3 but I hope those hints would also be useful for other systems.

Always start your invite from an Invite Only Session:
  • The last thing you want is your fun being ruined because of R* stupid servers. I noticed that when you go to an invite only online session and invite players from there, there are NEVER any connection issues, no delay while loading or downloading, no game freezing and you are almost guaranteed that every player accepting the invite will not get a "the session you are trying to join is full of players...", which is even more frustrating (sometimes you have players joining forever because of that, freezing the whole process and forcing you to restart). Believe me, if you want to play some heists, stay away from public lobbies (Leader or not), after you're done with heists, you can join public lobbies again.
Cancel and restart Auto Invite regularly:

• I heard of a lot of people being completely frustrated because you have to wait an eternity until you get some randoms joining your crew. I noticed that you can dramatically reduce the wait time for that process by canceling the auto invite and then restarting it. I don't want to claim it is a rule of thumb, but I never had to wait more than 10-15 min using that trick to get a full capable crew. Let me know if you have different experiences with it. I guess it is because sometimes the process gets stuck, or interested players might miss your invite while free roaming. So canceling and restarting the Auto Invite seems to bring to some useful "refresher".
  • While being in an invite only session, R* invite system also gives you the possibility to invite skill matched players, even if you are alone in a private session. Use that to your advantage. If you go to the list, you'll notice that R* tries to invite all players in the list, but not all of them are worthy of an invite...really :smile: (see my next hint below). So cancel invites for players you don't want in your crew and don't hesitate to re-invite those you judge to be skilled enough (speeds up the process), which leads me to my last and most important hint
Be careful with if you want to team up with low levels:
  • I know the low levels out there will hate me for this. I said earlier that I had to wait max. 10-15min to get a capable crew (then I just re-invite them for the next set up and I don't have to wait anymore). It is because I always kick out low levels , WITHOUT EXCEPTION!! Otherwise my wait time would be much shorter. This is not a rule a thumb but a suggestion I make due to the experience I collected with other high lvl players. I think the problem with low lvls is that they die fast, they often screw things up, they need a lot of help and time to understand simple tasks, I think they're just not ready to take on the heists. I think R* should have restricted access to the heists to high levels, giving low levels time to understand how GTA5o is supposed to be played, before they can attend the challenge. You especially need to make a choice when the last invited player is a low level. I mean I know the feeling, you already have 2 players, the crew is almost complete and there comes the low level, and you think you've been waiting for the last player, why not giving him a chance? I personally prefer to kick him em out and wait for a high lvl. This has an implication for your crew which I'll explain in my last point, but it is up to you if you want to enjoy your heist session or experience an absolute nightmare. What is a low level? For me any player with level < 65. I never played a GTA5o mission or heist on easy and I don't intend to. But even if I would, I don't think low levels are up to the challenge. They first need to gather some experience. But I'm aware that anyone has to start somewhere and low lvls might just need help in order to understand the heist principles. I usually don't have time for explaining everything and I'd rather go with experienced player good enough to even complete heists without mics. If you want to team up with low lvls, make sure they have a mic and make the impression that they are smart enough to understand your instructions BEFORE launching the session, otherwise I'll suggest you to avoid them.
  • There is an implication for kicking out low levels. Sometimes high level who already joined will get impatient (especially when you just kicked the 4th player out) and leave...believe me...that is also great!! You don't want to team up with with a high level who's not willing to wait 5min for the perfect teammate. I had some high levels leaving in the middle of the heist for no explicable reason. Don't know if those were trolls or not, but by kicking low levels, you end up FILTERING high levels willing to complete the heist. Every High Level who was willing to wait the last 5min ended doing all setups in my crew until the heist was completed. This is the kind of teammate you want!! They are indeed some stupid high levels out there and you don't want to team up with them.
So I hope that this will help the community a little bit. Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions or recommendations. I'm always opened for new ideas :smile:
There is also a website to help you find heist crew members, but I never really needed it. You can find it here in one of the posts. Shouldn't be hard to find.
But like I said, you don't need this thread if you can always play with reliable friends or crew members.

Enjoy!!

Edit:
Some players pointed out that they had positive experience with very capable low lvls. With regards to this new information I had to edit the post and soften the hint about low lvls.

Last edited:
The Irish Assassin

The Irish Assassin

(Re)tired eyes from the shadows
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
At the beginning I've been struggling a lot with the Heist DLC. Not only because of the connection/server issues but also because most of my friends are extremely busy in real life currently as I do, and it's not always possible to be online at the same time. Which led me to a certain amount of attempts with randoms, which can be a real pain sometimes.
But over time I somehow gathered a set of hints that might be helpful when your friends/crew members are not available. In my last GTA online session I played only for approx. 1 1/2 hour and managed to complete Prison Break and Human Lab with RANDOMS ONLY as Leader (from 1st setup to final heist both), by following those hints that I would like to share with the community. I am on PS3 but I hope those hints would also be useful for other systems.

• The last thing you want is your fun being ruined because of R* stupid servers. I noticed that when you go to an invite only online session and invite players from there, there are NEVER any connection issues, no delay while loading or downloading, no game freezing and you are almost guaranteed that every player accepting the invite will not get a "the session you are trying to join is full of players...", which is even more frustrating (sometimes you have players joining forever because of that, freezing the whole process and forcing you to restart). Believe me, if you want to play some heists, stay away from public lobbies (Leader or not), after you're done with heists, you can join public lobbies again.

• I heard of a lot of people being completely frustrated because you have to wait an eternity until you get some randoms joining your crew. I noticed that you can dramatically reduce the wait time for that process by canceling the auto invite and then restarting it. I don't want to claim it is a rule of thumb, but I never had to wait more than 10-15 min using that trick to get a full capable crew. Let me know if you have different experiences with it. I guess it is because sometimes the process gets stuck, or interested players might miss your invite while free roaming. So canceling and restarting the Auto Invite seems to bring to some useful "refresher".
  • While being in an invite only session, R* invite system also gives you the possibility to invite skill matched players, even if you are alone in a private session. Use that to your advantage. If you go to the list, you'll notice that R* tries to invite all players in the list, but not all of them are worthy of an invite...really :smile: (see my next hint below). So cancel invites for players you don't want in your crew and don't hesitate to re-invite those you judge to be skilled enough (speeds up the process), which leads me to my last and most important hint
Never, ever, ever, E-VER team up with low levels:
  • I know the low levels out there will hate me for this but here I can claim, IT IS A RULE OF THUMB. I said earlier that I had to wait max. 10-15min to get a capable crew (then I just re-invite them for the next set up and I don't have to wait anymore). It is because I always kick out low levels , WITHOUT EXCEPTION!! Otherwise my wait time would be much shorter. But you will always, always, aaaaaalways regret it, if you team up with a low level. Even if you think that you might save some time by letting them join, YOU DON'T. They die fast, they screw things up, they don't understand simple tasks, they're just not ready to take on the heists, and at the end THEY LEAVE, with you having to restart the whole invite process anyway. I think R* should have restricted access to the heists to high levels, giving low levels time to understand how GTA5o is supposed to be played, before they can attend the challenge. You need to resist the temptation to still go on with the last invited player if he's a low level. I mean I know the feeling, you already have 2 players, the crew is almost complete and there comes the low level, and you think you've been waiting for the last player, why not giving him a chance? Don't even think about it, JUST KICK-EM-OUT. This has an implication for your crew which I'll explain in my last point, but it is up to you if you want to enjoy your heist session or experience an absolute nightmare. What is a low level? For me any player with level < 65. I'm sorry for them, but low levels should stick with low levels when it comes to a random heist crew. I never played a GTA5o mission or heist on easy and I don't intend to. But even if I would, I don't think low levels are up to the challenge. They first need to gather some experience.
  • There is an implication for kicking out low levels. Sometimes high level who already joined will get impatient (especially when you just kicked the 4th player out) and leave...believe me...that is also great!! You don't want to team up with with a high level who's not willing to wait 5min for the perfect teammate. I had some high levels leaving in the middle of the heist for no explicable reason. Don't know if those were trolls or not, but by kicking low levels, you end up FILTERING high levels willing to complete the heist. Every High Level who was willing to wait the last 5min ended doing all setups in my crew until the heist was completed. This is the kind of teammate you want!! They are indeed some stupid high levels out there and you don't want to team up with them.
So I hope that this will help the community a little bit. Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions or recommendations. I'm always opened for new ideas :smile:
There is also a website to help you find heist crew members, but I never really needed it. You can find it here in one of the posts. Shouldn't be hard to find. But if I were you, I would stick to the low level hint while recruiting your crew members, just to be on the safe "having-fun" side :wink:
But like I said, you don't need this thread if you can always play with reliable friends or crew members.

Enjoy!!
I'm going to come to the defence of low levels, again.

I played through the prison break and humane labs with a team of 3 friends and 1 new low level guy again last night. Everything went perfectly, he listened and did what he was told and when he was told to do it. He also was the most eager heist crew I have had yet wanting to understand what we were doing and why instead of just running through it.
I think there is an unfair snobbery starting with heists. People who are blatantly in no position to judge others think that they can be fussy. Kicking low level players or players without mics when they're the ones struggling to find enough friends to do the mission in the first place.
I haven't experienced any real issues yet with low level players but that may be down to me actually taking the time to explain what they have do do. Instead of expecting them to be professionals right out of the gate.

Arxhive

Arxhive

NØISEWΛVE
Hardened Veteran Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

Never, ever, ever, E-VER team up with low levels:
  • I know the low levels out there will hate me for this but here I can claim, IT IS A RULE OF THUMB. I said earlier that I had to wait max. 10-15min to get a capable crew (then I just re-invite them for the next set up and I don't have to wait anymore). It is because I always kick out low levels , WITHOUT EXCEPTION!! Otherwise my wait time would be much shorter. But you will always, always, aaaaaalways regret it, if you team up with a low level. Even if you think that you might save some time by letting them join, YOU DON'T. They die fast, they screw things up, they don't understand simple tasks, they're just not ready to take on the heists, and at the end THEY LEAVE, with you having to restart the whole invite process anyway. I think R* should have restricted access to the heists to high levels, giving low levels time to understand how GTA5o is supposed to be played, before they can attend the challenge. You need to resist the temptation to still go on with the last invited player if he's a low level. I mean I know the feeling, you already have 2 players, the crew is almost complete and there comes the low level, and you think you've been waiting for the last player, why not giving him a chance? Don't even think about it, JUST KICK-EM-OUT. This has an implication for your crew which I'll explain in my last point, but it is up to you if you want to enjoy your heist session or experience an absolute nightmare. What is a low level? For me any player with level < 65. I'm sorry for them, but low levels should stick with low levels when it comes to a random heist crew. I never played a GTA5o mission or heist on easy and I don't intend to. But even if I would, I don't think low levels are up to the challenge. They first need to gather some experience.
There is also a website to help you find heist crew members, but I never really needed it. You can find it here in one of the posts. Shouldn't be hard to find. But if I were you, I would stick to the low level hint while recruiting your crew members, just to be on the safe "having-fun" side :wink:

Enjoy!!
So much hate for low level players.
Level =/= Skill.

TheOtherPariah

TheOtherPariah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Completely agree with Irish and Deadmau5, low level doesn't mean incompetent. It's all about communication and cooperation. One of the best randoms I've worked with in a heist was lvl 5 when we started. He had mic, spoke and understood English, followed directions. Hell, we even wound up giving him a 100% cut on the heist to help him out. Now he's a member of our crew and leveling fast. We all have to start somewhere.
Lows are fine as long as the communication is there. Just be sure to avoid putting them in a situation where they take too much fire, since they can't purchase good armor and have low stats.

Viitri

Viitri

Dank Memes
10th Anniversary Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't agree with kicking the low levels out either. There are probably a lot of low levels that are better than high levels. But I do like blaming the low levels just so I have someone to blame.

TheOtherPariah

TheOtherPariah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't agree with kicking the low levels out either. There are probably a lot of low levels that are better than high levels. But I do like blaming the low levels just so I have someone to blame.

Lol, always need a scapegoat.

Another thing with only going for high levels... did they earn their level by playing through and getting good at the game, or get lucky and catch an RP exploit on YouTube before it was patched? I've definitely run into high levels that suck at the game. Just last night I was tooling on a lvl 350 until he rage quit, I'm only lvl 60.

H a v o c

H a v o c

▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm level 43 and I nearly obliterate every level 100+ that I come by.
I'm always earning Platinum in heists.
Skill > Level

welshxna

welshxna

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Lol, always need a scapegoat.

Another thing with only going for high levels... did they earn their level by playing through and getting good at the game, or get lucky and catch an RP exploit on YouTube before it was patched? I've definitely run into high levels that suck at the game. Just last night I was tooling on a lvl 350 until he rage quit, I'm only lvl 60.
I had a lvl364 join my heist set up and the guy was an idiot. He couldn't follow directions nor could he complete simple tasks. Then he got mad because we called him out on being terrible for his level (in a nice way). I'm pretty sure he wasn't trolling based on how much his feelings got hurt

Edit: our crew has grown by picking up two lower levels running heists with us. Both could follow directions and were willing to do what they had to do to fulfill their roles.

xOclosedeyeOx

xOclosedeyeOx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm going to come to the defence of low levels, again.

I played through the prison break and humane labs with a team of 3 friends and 1 new low level guy again last night. Everything went perfectly, he listened and did what he was told and when he was told to do it. He also was the most eager heist crew I have had yet wanting to understand what we were doing and why instead of just running through it.
I think there is an unfair snobbery starting with heists. People who are blatantly in no position to judge others think that they can be fussy. Kicking low level players or players without mics when they're the ones struggling to find enough friends to do the mission in the first place.
I haven't experienced any real issues yet with low level players but that may be down to me actually taking the time to explain what they have do do. Instead of expecting them to be professionals right out of the gate.
Hi,

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or the feelings of low level out there. I'm glad that you made that positive experience with low lvls and I edited the post. Obviously it seems like it is NOT a rule of thumb. But still, I'll have to stick up with the general idea. I know it is not a popular view but it is as far as I noticed (and many other friends and crew members) a matter of statistic. The probability that a low lvl prevents you for completing the heist is higher than it is when you do it with a high lvl, that's simple math. I never claimed it was nice or fair, all I say is that it is about effectiveness. When i go online, I don't have that much time to wait for THE EXCEPTION among low lvls. I want to be able to play Heist on hard difficulty if I want to or even go for the elite challenge. All of this is (statistically)an incredible piece of cake with high lvls. I completed human lab on hard with elite challenge with high lvls without mics!! That's not something you can expect from low lvls. Like you said, you have to explain them everything and give them instructions. All instructions and heists tasks are so clear that you don't even need a mic; the only challenge are NPCs. And my experience shows that my expectation are not in the range of the impossible. I joined so many hosts setting the difficulty to easy because they were literally afraid of their crew members dying over and over and over again...on easy!! I think it's a pity.
I don't intend to sound mean or rude, all I'm saying is you have to make a choice. I admire you for taking time to explain them everything while everything is all clear. I just don't find it very appealing 
I had a lvl364 join my heist set up and the guy was an idiot. He couldn't follow directions nor could he complete simple tasks. Then he got mad because we called him out on being terrible for his level (in a nice way). I'm pretty sure he wasn't trolling based on how much his feelings got hurt

Edit: our crew has grown by picking up two lower levels running heists with us. Both could follow directions and were willing to do what they had to do to fulfill their roles.
Like I said in the post, there are indeed some "stupid" high lvls out there :smile: I never claimed there aren't any. 
I'm level 43 and I nearly obliterate every level 100+ that I come by.
I'm always earning Platinum in heists.
Skill > Level
If it's true (which I doubt because of the "every" in your statement), I find it very impressive. Congratulation

The Irish Assassin

The Irish Assassin

(Re)tired eyes from the shadows
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi,

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or the feelings of low level out there. I'm glad that you made that positive experience with low lvls and I edited the post. Obviously it seems like it is NOT a rule of thumb. But still, I'll have to stick up with the general idea. I know it is not a popular view but it is as far as I noticed (and many other friends and crew members) a matter of statistic. The probability that a low lvl prevents you for completing the heist is higher than it is when you do it with a high lvl, that's simple math. I never claimed it was nice or fair, all I say is that it is about effectiveness. When i go online, I don't have that much time to wait for THE EXCEPTION among low lvls. I want to be able to play Heist on hard difficulty if I want to or even go for the elite challenge. All of this is (statistically)an incredible piece of cake with high lvls. I completed human lab on hard with elite challenge with high lvls without mics!! That's not something you can expect from low lvls. Like you said, you have to explain them everything and give them instructions. All instructions and heists tasks are so clear that you don't even need a mic; the only challenge are NPCs. And my experience shows that my expectation are not in the range of the impossible. I joined so many hosts setting the difficulty to easy because they were literally afraid of their crew members dying over and over and over again...on easy!! I think it's a pity.
I don't intend to sound mean or rude, all I'm saying is you have to make a choice. I admire you for taking time to explain them everything while everything is all clear. I just don't find it very appealing
This literally is a fantastic answer. I do agree with you that if you are having to find a new low level player each time you do risk running into that complete idiot (there certainly are many). I really wanted to put across the idea of attempting to teach or lead the lower levels through them a bit. I don't mean literally lead them hand in hand but if people were to take the time to message the person joining their heist and tell them what to do or to see if they can follow simple instruction before just kicking them, they may end up finding a genuinely dedicated heist crew that are amongst the most eager players out there.
Like I said though you did make a good, well informed and worded response with some facts that I cannot dispute. I'm glad you can also see a little of the other side now too that is really all I intended to achieve. :smile:

xOclosedeyeOx

xOclosedeyeOx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Completely agree with Irish and Deadmau5, low level doesn't mean incompetent. It's all about communication and cooperation. One of the best randoms I've worked with in a heist was lvl 5 when we started. He had mic, spoke and understood English, followed directions. Hell, we even wound up giving him a 100% cut on the heist to help him out. Now he's a member of our crew and leveling fast. We all have to start somewhere.
Lows are fine as long as the communication is there. Just be sure to avoid putting them in a situation where they take too much fire, since they can't purchase good armor and have low stats.
I wouldn't even dream of trying to complete pacific standard with a lvl 5, I'd rather avoid such a frustrating experience

TheOtherPariah

TheOtherPariah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I wouldn't even dream of trying to complete pacific standard with a lvl 5, I'd rather avoid such a frustrating experience

We picked him up on Humane. Had him hide for the code exchange, front gun on both helicopter parts (tip for aquiring the Valkyrie: all pile in to Armored Karuma, drive straight through the MW guards to the Valkyrie, clear out helipad before exiting car). Had him sit on the aircraft carrier while we delivered the Hydra, EMP dropoff he hid near the insurgent and delivered it once we did all the coordinated stealh kills. He even got Platinum on the 2 parts he played gunner. 
Oh yeah... picking up the insurgents he was passenger in the one without the gun.

H a v o c

H a v o c

▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi,

Like I said in the post, there are indeed some "stupid" high lvls out there :smile: I never claimed there aren't any. 

If it's true (which I doubt because of the "every" in your statement), I find it very impressive. Congratulation
I have another account. Level 200+ and I've had the game since it came out. I restarted. 
Hi,

And I said "nearly every," not 'every' as in 'every person'.

odium

odium

im like ibaka when it comes to blocks
Reaction score
Sin$
the only disadvantage i have found with low level players is the low health, they cant take as much damage as a 100+ player. But i have had success with low levels and high levels the same, if they are willing to do what they are told and actually try then its not an issue

Activexre

Activexre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
f*** low level motherfickers. They mess up so much. Just wanna smack em right in their heads. How the fuxk can people under lvl 12 even join ? Did fuxkstar say heist was from lvl 12 ?

Kick anyone under lvl 70. They are not ready.

xOclosedeyeOx

xOclosedeyeOx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
**** low level motherfickers. They mess up so much. Just wanna smack em right in their heads. How the fuxk can people under lvl 12 even join ? Did fuxkstar say heist was from lvl 12 ?

Kick anyone under lvl 70. They are not ready.
There is no need to get rude and use filthy language. Read the discussion and especially the edited post

xOclosedeyeOx

xOclosedeyeOx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have another account. Level 200+ and I've had the game since it came out. I restarted. 

And I said "nearly every," not 'every' as in 'every person'.
Ok that makes more sense to me :smile:
It is true that you don't need to be a high lvl to manage head shots which is the most important skill in GTA5 IMHO (then comes pilot skills).
But is still hard to go against an experienced RPG+Minigun+sticky bombs user if you don't have them

H a v o c

H a v o c

▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok that makes more sense to me :smile:
It is true that you don't need to be a high lvl to manage head shots which is the most important skill in GTA5 IMHO (then comes pilot skills).
But is still hard to go against an experienced RPG+Minigun+sticky bombs user if you don't have them
Indeed. I don't like people who use explosives honestly. I'm the kind of guy who hops up on a building and snipes my foes from above. (Usually Insane People or people with bounties)

The Count

The Count

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes I agree but I have completed the all heists including setups in 3 days from release all with RANDOMS low lvl or high and no mic, freezes, and server issues, as leader in all and its not bad if they can follow me some players realize that the leader is not just the guy handing out pay cuts but MORE then Likely knows how to do the mission and how it needs to done

Also Low Level Characters Are Some Of The Best Players Sometimes they Just Need A Chance Because Being Low Leveled means they are starving ( as in the American Dream) they want that Big House, Super car , dancer on there phone.

Where as the fat cat high levels do not care if the mission fails as they are sitting on Millions

Top Bottom
Login
Register