best paid host for a medium-sized business?

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Haxalot88, Jan 20, 2009 with 8 replies and 142 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Alright, so I have gotten to work a website for a business that works locally. The business is expecting high volumes of traffic starting around mid-February, and I have to have the website up and running by the 1st. Here are the statistics I could nab from the current web host:

cost: $50 /month
    SSL: enabled
    IP: Static
    Disc Space: 2GB
    Monthly Transfer Rate: 40GB
    MySQL Databases: Unlimited
    E-mail: Unlimited

The host: [Click here to view the link]

I wonder how that compares with other hosts? We are considering moving to a mainstream host like godaddy.com or hostgator.com
    The important thing is to make sure that it can handle at least hundreds of users at once, has SSL enabled, and can handle hosting at least 5 websites or more.

Sorry if I cannot respond immediately, but my time is very limited as I am very busy during the week days.

2. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
  3. OP
    Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Well the main thing I'm worried about is serverload and overall connection. I need something that can handle all of that at once. Such as the server that we currently have happens to be pretty crappy, looks like only a dual-core and not too much RAM =/

Also, I will never go with bluehost because of past issues with them...

4. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    a lot of people seem to have trouble with BlueHost...how bout HostGator? I used them for a bit when i needed hosting: [Click here to view the link]
    Only thing is im guessing you want a dedicated server and those are expensive as ****

5. OP
    Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I do use hostgator for my personal websites. We are considering using them, but I honestly do not know if their servers can handle the connections we need. However it defiantly is better than what we currently have for the commercial website (twice as many cpu cores, much more RAM, and the server load is much lower), as well as much cheaper, so we will probably just use that.

6. AzzidReign

AzzidReign I don't do modded or money lobbies. NO GTA AT ALL! Administrator

Ratings:
    softlayer.com is good for dedicated servers.

But it all depends on what you think 100's of users on at once is. Do you mean like se7ensins? Or like 50 users on one site...50 on another, etc.

7. OP
    Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Over the course of one day, expecting thousands of uniques. An advertising campaign is going to hit many stations across America over the extent of several months, and we just need to make sure that in case there are potentially 10,000 uniques over a day, the server will be able to handle it.

If any of the admins or moderators has a hostgator account, send me your referral link. If we're going to go hostgator, might as well get the most out of it.

8. AzzidReign

AzzidReign I don't do modded or money lobbies. NO GTA AT ALL! Administrator

Ratings:
    [Click here to view the link]

Hostgator is good, but if you or someone that works for the company is going to manage the server, you will get a better deal at softlayer. Softlayer has great servers if you plan on getting 10k+ uniques per day. I'm not sure how hostgator is with that much traffic...but I know everyone that hosts vb forums that get big enough say softlayer is best.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nightcast

Nightcast Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I have hosthgator and my site is fine with 3200+ uniques a day. So I would say 5000 or so would also be fine.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.