What's new

Best forum build to go with?

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Experienced Veteran Hardened Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, so I was thinking of making a site, but I'm not sure what to go with, like phpBB or..
I don't want to pay for vB or anything because the forum could be a fail. What would you say I should go with?

M

MoRa

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
SMF is cool, but it's not really user friendly. I personally hate it.

Try going for something like myBB, it's almost the same as vBulletin. Plus it's free and you can download tons of mods. MyBB - Downloads

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
MoRa said:
SMF is cool, but it's not really user friendly. I personally hate it.

Try going for something like myBB, it's almost the same as vBulletin. Plus it's free and you can download tons of mods. MyBB - Downloads
I find SMF isn't that stable =/ Yeah I was looking at MyBB though. Looks pretty cool. I'll make a free forum and have a mess around with it, thanks.

M

MoRa

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
RaNDoM v1 said:
I find SMF isn't that stable =/ Yeah I was looking at MyBB though. Looks pretty cool. I'll make a free forum and have a mess around with it, thanks.

Yeah you'll like it a lot, it has a ton of mods, and you can basically almost convert it to vBulletin.

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Diamonds Are Forever Mythical Veteran Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
no risk = no reward

the #1 way to tell if a site will fail is if the owner is unwilling to put some money into it

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Venomous Fire said:
no risk = no reward

the #1 way to tell if a site will fail is if the owner is unwilling to put some money into it
& Time, ha.
Erm, I've installed MyBB, well had to twice because I came across a few problems, but in the end I got it all installed, I thought YAY it's working, but then I went to ACP, and got this..
v6ou8h.jpg

Just pure blank >_> so I've been sat here for about 30 minutes thinking WTF?! The only thing I can think of was the theme uploading wrong, but then the question is, how do I upload a theme? I can't see a bloody thing >_>
Help?

M

MoRa

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm not sure why it's like that.

But if you want to upload a theme, you add the theme folder to the images folder in the FTP. Once you do that you go to your Admin Panel, and you click the Templates and Style's tab. Once your there, there will be something in the top that says, create new theme or import new theme, so you click import. Then you browse for the theme's XML file, and then make sure you click the ignore version capability box. And then click import theme. And your done!

If you want to set that theme to default you go back to the theme tab and click to the left of the theme you uploaded it would be a box that says options, and then just click set to default.

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
MoRa said:
I'm not sure why it's like that.

But if you want to upload a theme, you add the theme folder to the images folder in the FTP. Once you do that you go to your Admin Panel, and you click the Templates and Style's tab. Once your there, there will be something in the top that says, create new theme or import new theme, so you click import. Then you browse for the theme's XML file, and then make sure you click the ignore version capability box. And then click import theme. And your done!

If you want to set that theme to default you go back to the theme tab and click to the left of the theme you uploaded it would be a box that says options, and then just click set to default.
Ah thanks, problem is, I can't see what I'm clicking, it's just blank tabs lol.

M

MoRa

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
RaNDoM v1 said:
Ah thanks, problem is, I can't see what I'm clicking, it's just blank tabs lol.

How did you install it? Did you do any CHMod editing?

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
MoRa said:
How did you install it? Did you do any CHMod editing?
I uploaded it with File Zilla, then on the MyBB page it took you through stages on what to Chmod, what to edit, what to move and that.. I did what it said. The only thing I can think of is uploading manually, like instead of File Zilla =/

M

MoRa

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
RaNDoM v1 said:
I uploaded it with File Zilla, then on the MyBB page it took you through stages on what to Chmod, what to edit, what to move and that.. I did what it said. The only thing I can think of is uploading manually, like instead of File Zilla =/

The way I did it was add all the files and folders using File Zilla, and then just install. I did no editing, so maybe that's whats wrong.

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
MoRa said:
The way I did it was add all the files and folders using File Zilla, and then just install. I did no editing, so maybe that's whats wrong.
Hmm, I only edited the default.config.php to config.php and I Chmodded the files it told me to Chmod on the install page =/

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
MoRa said:
Try not to do any edits.
But I don't think you can, it wouldn't let me install it if I didn't change the default.config.php to config.php

M

MoRa

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
RaNDoM v1 said:
But I don't think you can, it wouldn't let me install it if I didn't change the default.config.php to config.php

Then I'm not sure. Maybe it's the host your using, when I first tried it I used Zymic(it's free).

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
MoRa said:
Then I'm not sure. Maybe it's the host your using, when I first tried it I used Zymic(it's free).
I'm using 00webhost at the moment, I'm going to try one more time and upload the files one by one, if that doesn't work, I'm going back to phpBB3 :x3:

Meh I give up with MyBB, I'm going with PhBB3 =]

n00bFRAGGER

n00bFRAGGER

The Godfather
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Try installing forums software from the cPanel itself. I remember doing it from cP X and it was a pretty easy set up.

Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty

Free Sosa #bangbang
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Id go PHPbb since its pretty widely used so it has alot of support. You will also learn alot with it because you must edit the php code to install mods.

Personally:
Buy an owned vbulletin. Its the way to go because if your site fails you can just start a new one. Buy second hand i got mine for 65 bucks. Ive trippled my knowlege about the interwebs since ive bought a vB. What ive learned alone was worth 65 bucks.

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Platinum Record A Milli Tutorial Creator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
DO NOT BUY AND OWNED VB LICENSE. Unless you only wanna use what they have the software up to. Right now you can't renew the license because of the vB4 pricing. If you buy it new, it will be 235. If you buy an owned license...you'd have to buy it under 45 bucks to be worth something to do you or else you'll end up paying more. BTW, this 235 only lasts until the end of this month.

If you are serious about making a site, then go with a good forum software. I like vB, especially since it has vbseo. But many like IPB. I just think vB's mods are MUCH easier for a noob to install than any other software out there.

This is an investment...invest your money wisely and it will pay dividends.

Top Bottom
Login
Register