Status
Not open for further replies.
trtl

trtl

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Forum Addict Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
What category ethernet cable is the best for a standard cable internet connection?

Cat5e seems to be the standard, but if I get a better category cable will I be connected better through Comcast cable; or will it just be overkill?

Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Cat 5 runs and the same speed as Cat 5e. The only difference is that Cat 5e accounts for far end crosstalk. Which is just sending and receiving data.

M

Michael Allison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
With a standard cable internet connection, they should have sent you an Ethernet cable already... just copy the cable type they sent you with your modem. Even if you bought a modem elsewhere, it came with an Ethernet cable probably.

trtl

trtl

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, I'm going to need a 50 foot cable as I'm routing it through my walls so I can get a direct connection to my room. (Computer & 360)

So Cat5e it is since it's so long?

M

Michael Allison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Size has nothing to do with the type of cable you're getting.

Like I said, get the same type of cable as you're using already. You must have an Ethernet cable already, at least one, if you're using a modem. Either that or you're connected by USB (not that there's anything wrong with that).

The advantages of 5e were listed above already... I don't know where you got the size thing from?

Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Madman340 said:
Well, I'm going to need a 50 foot cable as I'm routing it through my walls so I can get a direct connection to my room. (Computer & 360)

So Cat5e it is since it's so long?
Cat 5 and Cat 5e are run at the same length.

trtl

trtl

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
I thought with length the connection deteriorates?
That's what I was under the impression of anyway.

Z

Zarcu

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
You could get CAT6 and have the computers connected to each other run faster if they have a NIC that supports the higher speeds of 1000 Mbps. Your internet from Comcast will not go any faster though. Just your LAN.

Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
He's probably just running the cable straight through. so there is no point of Cat 6.

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
50 feet will see no deterioration. Past 100 feet there is minor deterioration. 295 feet is the maximum for cat5/e, maximum recommended that is. Also it depends on where you run it, if the cable is staying in the house, you won't see loss & don't worry about it.

If you are paranoid look for cable with double shielding, it's more expensive but has less than half the loss. It's overkill though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register