• Thread starter BIGSxNPTACTIX19
  • Start date
  • Views 27,229
BIGSxNPTACTIX19

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

Keep Kalm Chive On
Reaction score
Sin$
Just got back from college and our PC won't power up. My dad is at work so I haven't heard if he has any information on why? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to try and get it to boot up? I have tries different power sources, cables, etc. I am looking to take it apart and see if anything is looking weird?

Asus Essentio Desktop PC- CM5571

Brian Runs This

Brian Runs This

Sleep is the cousin of death
Fabled Veteran Jokester Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Just got back from college and our PC won't power up. My dad is at work so I haven't heard if he has any information on why? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to try and get it to boot up? I have tries different power sources, cables, etc. I am looking to take it apart and see if anything is looking weird?

Power supply might be dead or your (power on) header connector is unplugged.

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

Keep Kalm Chive On
Reaction score
Sin$
Power supply might be dead or your (power on) header connector is unplugged.

I took the side panel of the tower off and their is a box where the power supply looks to be connected. Should I take this box apart and what should I be looking for?

Fuzz

Fuzz

☑ rekt    ☐ not rekt
Modder Stickied EotM
Reaction score
Sin$
is it plugged in and is the plug turned on and does the plug work hurrr

Brian Runs This

Brian Runs This

Reaction score
Sin$
I took the side panel of the tower off and their is a box where the power supply looks to be connected. Should I take this box apart and what should I be looking for?

Probably not, you're best bet is just to go to a PC repair store (no not Fry's) and ask them to see what's wrong with it. It's hard to tell you what the specific problem is and hard to solve it when you're not so much a PC intricate guy.

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

Keep Kalm Chive On
Reaction score
Sin$
is it plugged in and is the plug turned on and does the plug work hurrr

Yes it was plugged in, plug turned on and the cable used is good.
Probably not, you're best bet is just to go to a PC repair store (no not Fry's) and ask them to see what's wrong with it. It's hard to tell you what the specific problem is and hard to solve it when you're not so much a PC intricate guy.
I did take apart the box and all the plugs looked plugged in, any way to see if there is power? I might bring it in to radio shack tomorrow and see if they can take a quick look.

Fuzz

Fuzz

Modder Stickied EotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes it was plugged in, plug turned on and the cable used is good.
I did take apart the box and all the plugs looked plugged in, any way to see if there is power? I might bring it in to radio shack tomorrow and see if they can take a quick look.

You can ususally pick up a cheap power supply somewhere just to test. I salvaged a few form thrown out PCs and I actually use one in my gaming PC now... Office blocks through PCs away when one component fails, so you can get a fully working PC with say a dead mobo, but everything else works fine.
#lifetips

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

Keep Kalm Chive On
Reaction score
Sin$
You can ususally pick up a cheap power supply somewhere just to test. I salvaged a few form thrown out PCs and I actually use one in my gaming PC now... Office blocks through PCs away when one component fails, so you can get a fully working PC with say a dead mobo, but everything else works fine.
#lifetips

Damn dude, I should just salvage through their garbage then, haha. Where do you find these? Just curious what you mean by office blocks? Also when I plug in the tower to the wall the circuit board has a green light that turns on but no power to the fans or anything else. The actual power button seems like it doesn't work. Its hard to explain but you can usually feel it when a power button works but it doesn't seem to have that push affect, haha.

Brian Runs This

Brian Runs This

Reaction score
Sin$
Damn dude, I should just salvage through their garbage then, haha. Where do you find these? Just curious what you mean by office blocks? Also when I plug in the tower to the wall the circuit board has a green light that turns on but no power to the fans or anything else. The actual power button seems like it doesn't work. Its hard to explain but you can usually feel it when a power button works but it doesn't seem to have that push affect, haha.
I would just take it into radio-shack tomorrow man. You got a manufacturer motherboard most likely, and its hard to tell you what to make sure is plugged up to what.

Fuzz

Fuzz

Modder Stickied EotM
Reaction score
Sin$

Like office buildings, if you go around the back they often have skips with electrical stuff like PCs in, sometimes they are even just sitting next to the back door. The are going to a landfill so you may as well take them lol

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

Keep Kalm Chive On
Reaction score
Sin$
I would just take it into radio-shack tomorrow man. You got a manufacturer motherboard most likely, and its hard to tell you what to make sure is plugged up to what.

Alright I didn't stop working on it and found something out haha. I unplugged the 24 psu cable thing(the cable that connects the PSU and the mother board) and used the paper clip test. The PSU fan powered up so the PSU isn't the problem. I am kind of thinking its the motherboard:cry: When the PSU is connected to the motherboard, the green light on the mother board turns on but the PSU fan doesn't? Does this mean a bad motherboard?

Brian Runs This

Brian Runs This

Reaction score
Sin$
Alright I didn't stop working on it and found something out haha. I unplugged the 24 psu cable thing(the cable that connects the PSU and the mother board) and used the paper clip test. The PSU fan powered up so the PSU isn't the problem. I am kind of thinking its the motherboard:cry: When the PSU is connected to the motherboard, the green light on the mother board turns on but the PSU fan doesn't? Does this mean a bad motherboard?

Maybe the power button panel connector is unplugged.

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

Keep Kalm Chive On
Reaction score
Sin$
Maybe the power button panel connector is unplugged.

Thats another thing, the power button won't turn on. Is there any other way it could not be working or just a simple unplugged cable is the problem.

Edit: power button connections look connected, still doesnt light up when trying to turn on.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
Thats another thing, the power button won't turn on. Is there any other way it could not be working or just a simple unplugged cable is the problem.

Edit: power button connections look connected, still doesnt light up when trying to turn on.

I'm headed to bed at the moment but will try and give you something to try.

Unplug EVERYTHING from the motherboard. The ram, gpu's, cables, etc. After doing that plug the 24pin PSU connector into the motherboard and try to turn it on. That'll test to see if its the motherboard or CPU. Then try it with the RAM sticks, if it makes beeps and what not it could be the ram. It is just easier to start from the beginning.

The biggest issue you're looking at is that its a prebuilt desktop that's not geared towards higher end machines, the reason that's a downside is they are usually poorly made with crap parts that can die out rather quickly. It is also possible that a power surge killed something depending on whether you have a surge protector or not.

But anyways i'm out for the night, feel free to tag me tomorrow and I can help you while i'm at work. Best of luck!

uid0

uid0

Programming Guru
Reaction score
Sin$

Take your psu out and do the paperclip test on it if the fan doesn't spin up than it's the psu if it does spin up it's something else.

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

BIGSxNPTACTIX19

Keep Kalm Chive On
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm headed to bed at the moment but will try and give you something to try.

Unplug EVERYTHING from the motherboard. The ram, gpu's, cables, etc. After doing that plug the 24pin PSU connector into the motherboard and try to turn it on. That'll test to see if its the motherboard or CPU. Then try it with the RAM sticks, if it makes beeps and what not it could be the ram. It is just easier to start from the beginning.

The biggest issue you're looking at is that its a prebuilt desktop that's not geared towards higher end machines, the reason that's a downside is they are usually poorly made with crap parts that can die out rather quickly. It is also possible that a power surge killed something depending on whether you have a surge protector or not.

But anyways i'm out for the night, feel free to tag me tomorrow and I can help you while i'm at work. Best of luck!

So unplugged everything from motherboard except PSU and the motherboard LED turned green.

When the Ram and motherboard were plugged in it stayed green and no beep.

I was thinking maybe just the button on the front of the computer is broken, anyway to rewire and see if thats the issue?

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
So unplugged everything from motherboard except PSU and the motherboard LED turned green.

When the Ram and motherboard were plugged in it stayed green and no beep.

I was thinking maybe just the button on the front of the computer is broken, anyway to rewire and see if thats the issue?

For now just continue to plug in the wires into the correct place and then try powering it on.

Top Bottom
Login
Register