What's new

Solved Are there any guides for making a simple gamesave editor?

X

xRudeAwakening

Reaction score
I know I'm years late to the 360 modding scene but I've recently dusted off my 360 and it re-sparked my interest in hex editing gamesaves.

While this is nice and all, I've been learning quite a bit of C++ over the past year and thought it'd be pretty neat to try and whip up my own editor. But unfortunately I'm having a hard time figuring out where exactly to start. I have a list of a bunch of offsets for my game and luckily there is no checksum stopping me from making edits so I'm clear there.

Can anyone here give me some general tips or point me to some guides that may help me out? Thanks!

And as I type this I realized I could try to find some already existing editors that have the source included but I want to post this anyway in hopes someone has some advice.

N

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
I know I'm years late to the 360 modding scene but I've recently dusted off my 360 and it re-sparked my interest in hex editing gamesaves.

While this is nice and all, I've been learning quite a bit of C++ over the past year and thought it'd be pretty neat to try and whip up my own editor. But unfortunately I'm having a hard time figuring out where exactly to start. I have a list of a bunch of offsets for my game and luckily there is no checksum stopping me from making edits so I'm clear there.

Can anyone here give me some general tips or point me to some guides that may help me out? Thanks!

And as I type this I realized I could try to find some already existing editors that have the source included but I want to post this anyway in hopes someone has some advice.
S shinda might know something about it, or know someone else who does if he doesn't.

S

shinda

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
C# apps (WPF if you want better customization) are probably where you're going to want to start. Once you're confident in your ability with C#, which shouldn't be very difficult given you said you've been working with C++ it should be a breeze, you should start looking into file IO. All you're basically doing is modifying everything through bytes unless the save file is relatively basic i.e JSON, XML or INIs then parsing through them should be fairly simple. You can add them to like a data grid or something else if you're looking to modify something more specific, then buttons would be fine. If the save is encrypted then you're going to have to look through that games executable and find it's decryption key and how it was encrypted in the first place, I imagine most of the time it will probably be AES or XOR.

Top Bottom