• Thread starter lpjwizard
  • Start date
  • Views 7,231
lpjwizard

lpjwizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
hey guys i was just wondering are jtags actuallly illeagal to the goverment ?

and iff you could get some proof like a statement saying ' JTAGS ARE ILLEAGAL '
or somthin like that

BMTH

BMTH

Banned
Fabled Veteran TotM Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
there illegal to sell, but im unsure if they are actually against the law.

Zswizzy

Zswizzy

Former Legend
VIP
Retired
Free Hoster Greeter Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
It is not illegal to the government, they are just again Microsoft's rules. You cannot get arrested for having one but you can get sued if you go to Microsoft asking them to fix RROD on your jtag

Degree

Degree

T R A P S O U L
Retired
MotM Fabled Veteran Frame In Gold
Reaction score
Sin$
It is not illegal to the government, they are just again Microsoft's rules. You cannot get arrested for having one but you can get sued if you go to Microsoft asking them to fix RROD on your jtag

^ This.

lpjwizard

lpjwizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

how willl they sue , could they sue any1 iff they were found jtagging?

iProScopes

iProScopes

Contributor
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
What if Microsoft lives near you? (My friends mom called me yelling at me threatening to call the police)

T

TUBBZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
LOL, if they were illegal this forum probably would not be here as jtags contribute to alot of the modding.
pretty sure microsoft workers live and caves and are never seen..........?

S

SmexyPenguin18

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
They are illegal to sell because of the copy writed software on them.

Danhrules

Danhrules

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
In the United States, it is illegal to circumvent copy protection measures under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act):

"... no person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title."

Digital Millennium Copyright Act - 17 U.S.C Sec. 1201(a)(1)
(Section 1201(a)(3) goes into more detail as to what they mean)

JTagging, DVD firmware hacking or jailbreaking a console circumvents copy protection so, yes, technically it is illegal. Although few people have been to court over this, and those who have were mostly modding lots of consoles and providing copied games with the consoles (that's just asking for trouble).

Realistically, no one will go after a person doing this to his own console or a few friends. It's just not worth the time and effort.

Playing copied games on Xbox Live is a breach of their Terms of Service which you agreed to when you signed up, but again, they won't come after you. They just ban your console for breaking the agreement.

Similar laws exist in the EU (some countries like Italy and Spain have a "different interpretation" of that law and say that what someone does with a console they purchased is up to them).

News articles:
Student Arrested for Jailbreaking Games Consoles - Wired.com
Xbox chipper gets prison and fine - Pinsent Mansons LLP

mirGantrophy

xGrim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, if its used to reproduce illegally, or infringe on intellectual property, then it becomes illegal. in the U.S. you can modify your hardware to the point where it doesn't infringe on the intellectual property

or if used for piracy, or personal profit

X

XTHclan

Reaction score
Sin$
What if Microsoft lives near you? (My friends mom called me yelling at me threatening to call the police)

I really hope this is a joke.. LOL! So your friends mom thought you had some sort of illegal Xbox. How F*^ does that sound?

Z

zIFuILILeTez

Reaction score
Sin$
anyways almost everything in this world is becoming ilegal so no need to worry about..

Ewok

Ewok

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I fix 360's for spare money and some guy called the cops on me like 2 years ago. I was reportedly "Modding" the consoles to play backed up games and selling the games. I just called a few previous customers and had them vouch for me and I was off the hook. The only Xbox I've ever flashed is mine own. People are just stupid like that sometimes.

ELLiiOT

ELLiiOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
My dad works for m$ and I got him to resolder my JTAG points for me :lol:

Melloz

Melloz

Fountain of Useless Information
Reaction score
Sin$
No, unless microsoft lives with you...
Bill lives upstairs and comes for dinner all the time

In the United States, it is illegal to circumvent copy protection measures under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act):

Digital Millennium Copyright Act - 17 U.S.C Sec. 1201(a)(1)
(Section 1201(a)(3) goes into more detail as to what they mean)

JTagging, DVD firmware hacking or jailbreaking a console circumvents copy protection so, yes, technically it is illegal. Although few people have been to court over this, and those who have were mostly modding lots of consoles and providing copied games with the consoles (that's just asking for trouble).

Realistically, no one will go after a person doing this to his own console or a few friends. It's just not worth the time and effort.

Playing copied games on Xbox Live is a breach of their Terms of Service which you agreed to when you signed up, but again, they won't come after you. They just ban your console for breaking the agreement.

Similar laws exist in the EU (some countries like Italy and Spain have a "different interpretation" of that law and say that what someone does with a console they purchased is up to them).

News articles:
Student Arrested for Jailbreaking Games Consoles - Wired.com
Xbox chipper gets prison and fine - Pinsent Mansons LLP
Saved.

Top Bottom
Login
Register