What's new

Solved anyone play up at college?

A

Ach1lles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I've desperatly been trying to figure out how to get my xbox on the connection up here at my dorm. I've tried switching my MAC address on my pc to my xbox's MAC and register it on the network but didnt work. I tried inputting the same ip's and other addresses but i couldnt get a direct gateway address from my school they have it hidden so that didn't work. anyone got any other ideas so i can get this up and play gears online?

TerminatioN

TerminatioN

Salty Retired
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Scaling the Mountain Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Not sure about there, but here the only way to do it is having two network cards on your computer and sharing the connection (thus bridging the two).

If you don't have two network cards you can get a utility that is USB on one end and Ethernet on the other end, acting like another network card.

Its a pain in the *** to do but thats what it took to get mine working when I did it.

B

Bobbypin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you checked with the IT department? I know at my schools I needed to send them some information about my console before I was granted access to Live.

A

Ach1lles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
TerminatioN said:
Not sure about there, but here the only way to do it is having two network cards on your computer and sharing the connection (thus bridging the two).

If you don't have two network cards you can get a utility that is USB on one end and Ethernet on the other end, acting like another network card.

Its a pain in the *** to do but thats what it took to get mine working when I did it.

i might have to try this, is the cord expensive to that on? i dont want to spend a large amount on something that might not even work.

bobbypin68 said:
Have you checked with the IT department? I know at my schools I needed to send them some information about my console before I was granted access to Live.

Well there like banned in the dorms, so i doubt i should call them and ask them how to connect haha

TerminatioN

TerminatioN

Salty Retired
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Ach1lles said:
i might have to try this, is the cord expensive to that on? i dont want to spend a large amount on something that might not even work.

It depends on how much is expensive to you. I think when I bought it, it was around $20-$30.
And as far as not working, as long as you keep the receipt and original packaging most places accept returns...

There are lots of these adapters out there. I have no idea which ones work and which ones don't though. Generally speaking you get what you pay for though.

Here is the one I have: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=3387222279B18

A

Ach1lles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
TerminatioN said:
It depends on how much is expensive to you. I think when I bought it, it was around $20-$30.
And as far as not working, as long as you keep the receipt and original packaging most places accept returns...

There are lots of these adapters out there. I have no idea which ones work and which ones don't though. Generally speaking you get what you pay for though.

Here is the one I have: Linksys.com - Products/Wired/Basic Networking/Adapters/USB100M

thanks, once i get one of these, what other steps do i need to do to get it online, or is it once i plug in the ethernet its automatically connected.

TerminatioN

TerminatioN

Salty Retired
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Ach1lles said:
thanks, once i get one of these, what other steps do i need to do to get it online, or is it once i plug in the ethernet its automatically connected.

Step 1: Connect the main Ethernet port to your internet.
Step 2: Connect the USB to Ethernet utility you bought to your computer via USB and run an ethernet cable from the other end to your xbox 360.
Step 3: Go to the "Network Connections" window on your computer. Right click on the main connection to the internet from step 1 and select "Properties"
Step 4: In the "Properties" window click on the tab on the far right labeled "Advanced".
Step 5: Under the "Internet Connection Sharing" field check the box next to where it says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".
Step 6: You may or may not be asked to select which connection, if you do need to, select the one that is connected to your xbox 360 from Step 2.

Done. Everything should work now. You should be able to use Xbox Live and the internet on your computer simultaneously.

TerminatioN

TerminatioN

Salty Retired
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
No problem. Let me know if you have any problems and I'll try and help you get it working.

Top Bottom
Login
Register