• Start date
  • Views 26,511
InfectHead

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
End of the Year 2012 MotM Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
I wouldn't say ignorant, I would say fact. I'v not had a single virus on either my MacBook Pro or iMac.

Maybe in the future as more people buy Macs then viruses may increase, but for now I would say I'm pretty safe.

I've not had a single virus when I had Windows 7 for a few years, and the same with Windows 8. Does that mean Windows doesn't get viruses?

Also how do you know you don't have malware? Flashback silently installs to your system so you never know.

Victory

Victory

Aaron 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Beginning of An Odyssey Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
I've not had a single virus when I had Windows 7 for a few years, and the same with Windows 8. Does that mean Windows doesn't get viruses?

Also how do you know you don't have malware? Flashback silently installs to your system so you never know.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4386348?start=0&tstart=0

How many more viruses are there for Windows compared to OS x?

The chance of getting infected on windows must be at least 10x higher than getting infected on OS x.

InfectHead

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
End of the Year 2012 MotM Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4386348?start=0&tstart=0

How many more viruses are there for Windows compared to OS x?

The chance of getting infected on windows must be at least 10x higher than getting infected on OS x.

Yes, there are more security exploits on Windows than on OS X, however it doesn't matter. As long as you're smart with how you compute and stay up to date with everything, you won't be infected with anything.

Victory

Victory

Aaron 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Beginning of An Odyssey Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, there are more security exploits on Windows than on OS X, however it doesn't matter. As long as you're smart with how you compute and stay up to date with everything, you won't be infected with anything.

That's the issue right there. Most people like yourself understand how to protect your computer / 'stay smart', however, when you get the people that don't, they tend to mess up their computer real bad.

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
i dont use antiviruses anymore and im on windows lol

You are tempting fate....I would be careful...

OT: I got some pretty bad malware yesterday that changed the format of my C: to NFTS and I was unable to access any of the system restore programs. It also took all administrator privileges off my user account. The only way to fix it was to reset windows. Luckily I have only had my laptop for a week so there there really weren't any special files I absolutely had to keep. Surprisingly, my computer runs a lot faster after the system reset...go figure...now I have MalwareBytes Pro and AVG running real time scans constantly and I am always scanning every little thing I download so this never happens again...it wasn't fun.

xXxFollowTheCode

xXxFollowTheCode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Flashback virus is actually pretty easy to detect plus if you install the latest version of osx most viruses are patched.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
i dont use antiviruses anymore and im on windows lol

Can_t+Tell+if+Trolling.jpg

OT: I stay pretty virus and malware free. I use common sense, and always keep Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and Malwarebytes Pro running real time scans 24/7. Yes i really do use them both together at the same time and have zero issues :smile:

M

mazdamiata210

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Panda Cloud - Free
SuperAnti Spyware - Paid
Malwarebytes - Paid

Ultimate protection against everything

K1LLER M4N

K1LLER M4N

Enthusiast
Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
I use Avast! it's really good. If anyone needs a product code, message me with your version of it and i will message you one back!

TalkingBlob

TalkingBlob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Man I hate Norton. To be fair I've never personally used it (just experienced the limitations it put on my family computer when I was younger). As mentioned above Norton DOES NOT play nice. I'm a huge fan of Kaspersky antivirus ever since I got a copy from best buy with my warranty. It's definitely one of the top rated programs out there and always gets along with things on my computer. Malwarebytes is also one of my favorites but I only use it when I think I might have a virus and I want to kill it.

TheVicious85

TheVicious85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you are a Windows User then all you need are these programs:
MS Security Essentials
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
I've never had any issues with my computer getting infected or hacked... It also helps that you are NOT logged in as the ADMINISTRATOR 24/7, you should only be logged in as a normal USER for daily activities...and for crying out loud put a very strong password for your ADMIN Account, hell I would even put one on my USER Account... NEVER have automatic log in active, that is just asking for your computer to be compromised

P.S.
If you are connected to the internet...then it's no longer just your computer anymore, it's the worlds...what do you thing the internet is...its a network of servers and computers sharing data with one another

TalkingBlob

TalkingBlob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you are a Windows User then all you need are these programs:
MS Security Essentials
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
I've never had any issues with my computer getting infected or hacked... It also helps that you are NOT logged in as the ADMINISTRATOR 24/7, you should only be logged in as a normal USER for daily activities...and for crying out loud put a very strong password for your ADMIN Account, hell I would even put one on my USER Account... NEVER have automatic log in active, that is just asking for your computer to be compromised

P.S.
If you are connected to the internet...then it's no longer just your computer anymore, it's the worlds...what do you thing the internet is...its a network of servers and computers sharing data with one another

I don't want to speak for others here but I have a feeling a lot of people on this site will agree with me. I personally hate not being logged in as administrator. Pretty much anything I try to do in windows will be answered with a "are you sure?" message that's confirming my action. I HATE THAT AND HAVE NO TIME FOR SUCH NONSENSE. Hence why I am always logged in with administrator privileges which is why I need more powerful antivirus than what windows provides for me alone.

Yes, if you are not a poweruser then you really have no need for 3rd party antivirus. But if you do more than browse the internet and type word documents on your computer (like most gamers do), then you will most likely be needing said antivirus (and most likely be turning off UAC and the like in windows because it gets in the way too much)

TheVicious85

TheVicious85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't want to speak for others here but I have a feeling a lot of people on this site will agree with me. I personally hate not being logged in as administrator. Pretty much anything I try to do in windows will be answered with a "are you sure?" message that's confirming my action. I HATE THAT AND HAVE NO TIME FOR SUCH NONSENSE. Hence why I am always logged in with administrator privileges which is why I need more powerful antivirus than what windows provides for me alone.

Yes, if you are not a poweruser then you really have no need for 3rd party antivirus. But if you do more than browse the internet and type word documents on your computer (like most gamers do), then you will most likely be needing said antivirus (and most likely be turning off UAC and the like in windows because it gets in the way too much)
That's just it, I'm a gamer too I have Borderlands 2 for PC and PS3 along with other PC games that I've downloaded that were hacked to be free, I do more then just surf...the UAC is telling you, hey are you sure you want to do this because it's just making sure you are the one that wants to make those changes and not some program or hacker making them for you...which are going to make changes to your REGISTRY, you can argue all you want about needing a more powerful ANTIVIRUS all you want but NORTON the "BEST" Antivirus does just the same as UAC and more because it causes a lot of issues blocking things from running that need to be running in order for you to play that game correctly...so I don't see how going through all that trouble trying to get your PAID for 3rd party antivirus is any better then the FREE one offered by Microsoft... maybe you should educate yourself more about computers before attacking my response... I have my own computer business fixing those uneducated people that are logged in as the ADMIN Account 24/7 just because they don't like the restrictions but then are crying about having to pay someone to fix if for them costing them an arm and a leg or just plain out right buying a brand new computer

Unbound 7s

Unbound 7s

0x50676f573
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
At above users.

Have you two never heard of sandboxie or using a VM lol? Anti-viruses are so mainstream...

TalkingBlob

TalkingBlob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That's just it, I'm a gamer too I have Borderlands 2 for PC and PS3 along with other PC games that I've downloaded that were hacked to be free, I do more then just surf...the UAC is telling you, hey are you sure you want to do this because it's just making sure you are the one that wants to make those changes and not some program or hacker making them for you...which are going to make changes to your REGISTRY, you can argue all you want about needing a more powerful ANTIVIRUS all you want but NORTON the "BEST" Antivirus does just the same as UAC and more because it causes a lot of issues blocking things from running that need to be running in order for you to play that game correctly...so I don't see how going through all that trouble trying to get your PAID for 3rd party antivirus is any better then the FREE one offered by Microsoft... maybe you should educate yourself more about computers before attacking my response... I have my own computer business fixing those uneducated people that are logged in as the ADMIN Account 24/7 just because they don't like the restrictions but then are crying about having to pay someone to fix if for them costing them an arm and a leg or just plain out right buying a brand new computer

Don't take it personally dude, it's just my opinion. I wasn't trying to attack your response, I was just stating how I feel about UAC. I feel that antivirus is all about striking a good balance between restrictions (in order to protect yourself) and freedom (to do what you want). I know plenty about computers, please don't patronize me (although I'm sure you know more). And I know that my AV can compensate for the minimilistic restrictions I have on my OS.

Maybe Norton is the "Best" for you, but I'd rather not let that nazi lock down my computer. I've used it before and it does nothing but prevent me from doing what I want to do. And how is going through the trouble of paying for Norton any different than what I do (other than the fact that I get Kaspersky for free lol)?

Plus, when it comes to the bad viruses, UAC doesn't do ****. I've been infected before with all the windows security features active and UAC certainly didn't help me. Afterall, the person that installs the virus is the same person that makes decisions about those UAC popups. If you ask me, the system is flawed, which gets back to my point about UAC. If I get a popup EVERYTIME I do something I'm not going to think twice about the decision I make that one time when it REALLY counts (when the virus is asking for permission). Maybe I would use the windows security features if they could actually discriminate between normal everyday actions and abnormal virus actions.

Keep in mind I'm not a typical windows user though. I download and install all kinds of crap on my computer and accept the risks that come with that. UAC may be mildly effective for somebody who doesn't even know how to turn it off, but for me (and, I suspect, the majority of people on this site) it is utterly useless. Which is why I trust my security with programs like Kaspersky (which is phenomenal at discriminating between the good and the bad) instead. And if I do happen to get a virus I don't need to call someone like you. I'll just run malwarebytes and if worst comes to worst my computer will receive a much needed wiping.

At above users.

Have you two never heard of sandboxie or using a VM lol? Anti-viruses are so mainstream...

Yes I have, but I don't have time to fire up a VM every time I think I may be installing something suspicious. I'd rather keep something running in the background just in case I'm not aware of a virus trying to do something on my system

Last edited:
gygk

gygk

PlayStation Gamer
Reaction score
Sin$
I am using Avast! Premier which took me some time to get while watching a video on YouTube. The registration doesn't end until

192e38cf793a5e95bdf71cc26a06cbba.png

TheVicious85

TheVicious85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Don't take it personally dude, it's just my opinion. I wasn't trying to attack your response, I was just stating how I feel about UAC. I feel that antivirus is all about striking a good balance between restrictions (in order to protect yourself) and freedom (to do what you want). I know plenty about computers, please don't patronize me (although I'm sure you know more). And I know that my AV can compensate for the minimilistic restrictions I have on my OS.

Maybe Norton is the "Best" for you, but I'd rather not let that nazi lock down my computer. I've used it before and it does nothing but prevent me from doing what I want to do. And how is going through the trouble of paying for Norton any different than what I do (other than the fact that I get Kaspersky for free lol)?

Plus, when it comes to the bad viruses, UAC doesn't do ****. I've been infected before with all the windows security features active and UAC certainly didn't help me. Afterall, the person that installs the virus is the same person that makes decisions about those UAC popups. If you ask me, the system is flawed, which gets back to my point about UAC. If I get a popup EVERYTIME I do something I'm not going to think twice about the decision I make that one time when it REALLY counts (when the virus is asking for permission). Maybe I would use the windows security features if they could actually discriminate between normal everyday actions and abnormal virus actions.

Keep in mind I'm not a typical windows user though. I download and install all kinds of crap on my computer and accept the risks that come with that. UAC may be mildly effective for somebody who doesn't even know how to turn it off, but for me (and, I suspect, the majority of people on this site) it is utterly useless. Which is why I trust my security with programs like Kaspersky (which is phenomenal at discriminating between the good and the bad) instead. And if I do happen to get a virus I don't need to call someone like you. I'll just run malwarebytes and if worst comes to worst my computer will receive a much needed wiping.

Yes I have, but I don't have time to fire up a VM every time I think I may be installing something suspicious. I'd rather keep something running in the background just in case I'm not aware of a virus trying to do something on my system
I don't use Norton that was just me saying how people fine "Norton"<----see quotation marks
is the best antivirus...if you remember I stated all you need were the 3 things but anyways moving on

Top Bottom
Login
Register