• Views 26,510
Diesel

Diesel

I love the smell of Diesel in the morning
Reaction score
Sin$
pumpkin.png

Why Buy Antivirus Software?

Today, an unprotected computer isn’t just vulnerable, it’s probably already infected. New viruses, spyware, trojans, worms, and other malware are created every day. New threats are disguised to bypass other security measures, and specifically designed to catch you and your PC off guard.

The virus landscape has also changed; viruses that used to be annoying pranks have evolved into pernicious threats capable of not only destroying your computer, but stealing your information and identity.

The benefits of installing a basic security solution on your PC are obvious, but the cost in system slowdown used to make it tough to bear. Luckily, modern antivirus software haven’t just improved their level of protection, they’ve significantly improved resource efficiency and overall speed. You can have ultimate protection without giving up your resources. With advanced technologies and straightforward usability, antivirus software is more effective than ever, and doesn’t require constant maintenance from you. Current antivirus programs deliver constant protection and can actually speed up your computer.

Antivirus Software: What to Look For

All security software is not created equal. Like all consumer products, antivirus software has the good, the bad, and the mediocre. The choices for antivirus protection are many and varied. Although we haven’t reviewed each and every product available, we feature the absolute best antivirus software available today from a number of providers (including big-hitters, lesser-knowns, and new-comers), and compare them so you can match your needs with the right software.

Remember when it really comes down to it, effectiveness and usability can either make or break antivirus software. Security programs are only as good as their level of protection, and if you can’t figure out how to use it, you won’t. Our top-ranked antivirus software combine optimal security with user-friendly features and tools.

Below are the criteria Top Ten REVIEWS uses to evaluate and compare antivirus software:

Scope of Protection
While most security solutions tout “multi-layered” protection, “360 degree” defense and/or even “100%” security, some are certainly more thorough than others. The best antivirus solutions will include traditional protection from viruses, worms, Trojans and spyware, but should also include defense from keyloggers, phishing scams, email-borne threats and rootkits. While antivirus programs are by no means full-blown internet security suites, they should protect from as many threats on as many fronts as they can.

Effectiveness
Antivirus is specifically designed to protect your computer, so if it doesn’t do that well, what good is it? All the features, bells and whistles, or sleek interface can’t make up for poor performance. We look at results from the industry-standard security software testers and professional security organizations to find the most effective software available and evaluate overall effectiveness. In general, our highest ranked programs are also the most effective.

Ease of Installation and Setup
Security software shouldn’t be a chore to install, and should have you protected as soon as possible. From download to install, to the first scan; implementing antivirus software should be quick and easy.

Ease of Use
Antivirus software is complex stuff, but shouldn’t require a degree in computer security. The best security programs have all the features security experts want, but are just as easily used by a beginner. Everyday computer users want a security solution that they can install and forget about; software that doesn’t require constant maintenance or have annoying interruptions. The best antivirus software is flexible enough to do exactly what you want to (even if that means running by itself).

Features
A well-rounded feature set takes a security solution from good to great. More than bells and whistles, added features provide security, usability and performance benefits.
Updates
Security software is only as good as its latest update. Viruses are being identified and added to signature databases all the time, so it’s important that your virus definition list updates accordingly. Modern antivirus software are equipped with automatic updates that perform regularly enough that you get faster updates that don’t slow down your system. The best security providers even “push” updates to you as soon as they’re available.

Help & Support
The best software doesn’t require reading an in-depth manual to use, but still has one available. For specific questions, troubleshooting, and additional help, the best antivirus manufacturers provide superior product support online and off. Additional support for software may come in the form of assistance over the phone, email, live chat, or through a number of additional resources (knowledgebase, FAQs, tutorials).

Also, for more information and a really good chart comparison of a ton of anti viruses, please click here.

Discussion:

What is your favorite free/paid anti virus software?

Operating System
  1. Windows
Last edited by a moderator:
Dramskizz

Dramskizz

Steam <3
Mythical Veteran Stickied TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Good post Diesel, you are continuing to make progress on the site! Also to answer your question, Norton is probably the best so far, although it gets a little bit to much over protected. :huh:

Diesel

Diesel

Reaction score
Sin$
I forgot to say mine in the post o.O

Well here is my protection setup:

I have Avira AntiVir Personal Edition
Then I have COMODO firewall
Last Malwarebytes that I can every other day.

Dramskizz

Dramskizz

Steam <3
Reaction score
Sin$
I forgot to say mine in the post o.O

Well anyways I saw a kid on here that loved this Anti Virus I had never heard of called "Comodo" I'm still new to it but it's working a lot better than my past anti viruses.

Hmm, sounds interesting. What are your thoughts on Norton Anti-Virus?
*I sound like a news reporter.* :tongue:

Diesel

Diesel

Reaction score
Sin$
Hmm, sounds interesting. What are your thoughts on Norton Anti-Virus?
*I sound like a news reporter.* :tongue:
Pros: It's carry's a light foot print, but provides you with most of the protection you need. From 2010 to 2011 they added a few more features Norton, which set it apart from other AV.

Cons: It's performances in years past, and it's not so nice with other applications on your computer.

Conclusion: Norton's most basic antivirus protection is really good compared to the competition, and it offers more features.

Dramskizz

Dramskizz

Steam <3
Reaction score
Sin$
Pros: It's carry's a light foot print, but provides you with most of the protection you need. From 2010 to 2011 they added a few more features Norton, which set it apart from other AV.

Cons: It's performances in years past, and it's not so nice with other applications on your computer.

Conclusion: Norton's most basic antivirus protection is really good compared to the competition, and it offers more features.

Very nice choice of words bro. You are very right also, it does not get along with other applications on my computer. Some times it will not let me run applications so I will have to disable it for about 15 minutes. <_< It's all good though, it blocked a Trojan Virus the other day. :biggrin:

Diesel

Diesel

Reaction score
Sin$
Very nice choice of words bro. You are very right also, it does not get along with other applications on my computer. Some times it will not let me run applications so I will have to disable it for about 15 minutes. <_< It's all good though, it blocked a Trojan Virus the other day. :biggrin:
Thanks, and hopefully they'll fix those problems in a few years.

Swift 7s

Swift 7s

Taylor Swift <3
Reaction score
Sin$
People still use Norton, I thought it was dead. The 2009 and 2010 Versions sucked and they was a resource hogs. As for me I use NOD32 which is the best anti virus out there right now. Has amazing protection and it uses almost no resources. But people have their reasons.

Wheen

Wheen

Bytesexual
Retired
Programmer Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
NoD32 is my personal favorite, as there is no noticeable performance hit, yet it still keeps me plenty secure.

I'm currently using Norton 2011, and and it has a somewhat noticeable performance hit, but its not enough to influence me. Like [member=Meetii] said, it is too secure. While I was writing a program that copied itself (With the user's permission, it wasn't malicious) in C#, it detected it whenever I tried to debug, and closed it. It took me about 5 minutes to understand what was going on. :tongue:

Halo

Halo

AIDS for everyone
AzzidReign Jr Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
NoD32 is my personal favorite, as there is no noticeable performance hit, yet it still keeps me plenty secure.

I'm currently using Norton 2011, and and it has a somewhat noticeable performance hit, but its not enough to influence me. Like [member=Meetii] said, it is too secure. While I was writing a program that copied itself (With the user's permission, it wasn't malicious) in C#, it detected it whenever I tried to debug, and closed it. It took me about 5 minutes to understand what was going on. :tongue:
Wow :o

Diesel

Diesel

Reaction score
Sin$

Yeah, Norton tends to not play very well with others, others being other applications.

Top Bottom
Login
Register