Another Bricked BenQ - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by O11Y, Jun 20, 2009 with 15 replies and 1,536 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O11Y

O11Y Newbie

Ratings:
    Hi all,

My Xbox 360 DVD drive died and I (stupidly) assumed that I could just pick up a replacement drive as you would for a PC. Well the drive arrived this morning and shortly after plugging it in I realised my mistake. An hour of googling later I had learned of the Jungle Flasher utility and set about flashing my old drive details onto the new one.

Things started off quite well. My old drive was a Hitachi rev78 and with a couple of hours of fiddling I managed to download the flash / key etc. The drive I'd bought was a BenQ (this was by chance, at the time I thought any drive would work) so I plugged this in next. I used the turn on / turn off trick to get it into vendor mode, then the "unlock" command to send the "magic numbers", and finally I read the flash / key from drive onto my computer. So far so good.

But then things went wrong.

I opened my Hitachi bin file as the source and my BenQ file as the target then told it to spoof the one over the other. I went back into the flash screen and unlocked the BenQ again then told it to write to the drive. It went through each bank doing it's thing but at the end it said "Verification Failed!". Pants. Okay I thought, I'll try it again, maybe it was a glitch? So I did, but halfway through bank 3 my Xbox (which was powering the drive) turned itself off and my whole computer locked up.

From this point things have gone from bad to worse. Whenever I connect up the BenQ drive (with power & SATA) in Windows my whole computer will freeze. Unconnecting either the power or SATA will return it to normal. I can get around the problem by uninstalling the VIA SATA RAID driver but then I can't access the drive though Jungle Flasher to flash it again. I've tried reconnecting the Hitachi and this works fine so I know it's the BenQ that's causing it.

Following the advice on this forum I downloaded dosflash.exe and gave that a go using a DOS boot disk. However whenever I try to perform a read/erase/write it sits at:

However many times I unplug / plug in the drive it never changes. Also if I just run dosflash without any parameters it will enumerate my SATA / IDE ports and then just hang. I even tried hot switching between my two SATA ports whilst it was running but this just caused the Status to switch between 0x80 and 0x7f. On one miracle occasion after about a million tries it finally displayed 0x73 and said "erasing..." but then it just hung there and never completed the operation. I even tried downloading dosflash v1.7 but this seemed a bit buggy and wouldn't run without the ONLITE parameter (which i believe is for a different make of drive?).

Is this drive completely screwed or is there any way i can salvage it?

Thanks very much in advance,

Olly

2. Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    Care to provide us with a tl;dr statement?

3. TehPhelix

TehPhelix Retired Retired

Ratings:
    He went to spoof a BenQ drive he bought to his old hitachi v78. Went to spoof it by putting the hitachi .bin as source and benq as target and wound up with a write failed. Now it keeps freezing. Tried both jungleflasher and dosflash.

Can you eject the drive? When you turn on your xbox with it plugged in is the light in the middle flashing?

4. EclipseModz

EclipseModz Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Drive isn't bricked. Just stuck in vendor mode. You should be able to fix it in Dos. I don't know why it would be freezing on you. Don't try with jungleflasher anymore as it is not going to recognize the drive again after what happened. Only dos will get you out of this situation. Its kind of difficult when you are using the 360 to power. Just keep trying and trying you will get it.

5. OP
    O11Y

O11Y Newbie

Ratings:
    The eject button on the xbox is completely dead for this drive. I tried manually opening it halfway (jammed a screwdriver into the manual release at the front) as the JF manual mentioned that this was required in some instances. It hasn't made a lot of difference so far. I'm not sure about lights, will let you know.

I will persevere with DOS. Is DosFlash.exe the only app or is there another I could try? Also in the command:

DOSFLASH.exe e ec00 1 a0 1 4 d8 0

The help mentions that this specifies whether to Send ATAPI reset. Should this be zero or one?

Cheers

6. Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    E is for erase
    Try W (it erases then writes I believe)
    And is ec00 your port #?
    And yes it is suppose to be 0

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    O11Y

O11Y Newbie

Ratings:
    yes ec00 is the one. I think it might be dead. Spent another couple of hours with dosflash today (unplug , plug, unplug) and still won't budge from 0x80. I think that I've just been unlucky and managed to screw it first go.

RE the lights question: there are no LED on the drive but both the red lights and the green light on the xbox flash when it's plugged in.

Cheers,

Thanks for the tips but this drive is dead. Spent another two hours staring at "0x80" whilst I plugged and unplugged the power cable. On one historical moment it actually changed to 0x00 and there was even an exciting couple of minutes where plugging and unplugging it would cycle between 0x81 and 0x01.

I'm not wasting any more time with this thing, let this be a warning to anyone else who wants to go crazy and replace a broken dvd-rom drive.

Cheers

8. EclipseModz

Ratings:
    Send it to me. I may be able to fix it.

9. OP
    O11Y

O11Y Newbie

Ratings:
    I'd be impressed if you can. PM me a mailing address and I'll send it over

10. Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    You can also send it to me.
    Sometimes it freezes just because of the computer. Trying it with a different computer (diff mobo, sata connection, dos/non-dos) can make it work.

11. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Ya send it to Abol if anything, he works good magic on those things.

12. OP
    O11Y

O11Y Newbie

Ratings:
    Eclipse that's sent. I'm in the UK so didn't include any . Let me know if you can fix it and I'll paypal you some over.

Cheers,

13. EclipseModz

Ratings:
  14. Blu3 1ightning

Blu3 1ightning Enthusiast

Ratings:
    do you have portio installed because if you do you shouldnt need the via drivers. and it should still recognize the drive

15. EclipseModz

Ratings:
    He already sent the drive to me to fix it. Also portio doesn't matter in dos and when a drive gets stuck in vendor mode then jungleflasher is not going to recognize the drive again.

16. EclipseModz

Ratings:
    Got the drive today. Tried everything. The drive is definitely bricked. Not noticable in dos or jungleflasher.