What's new

Discussion AMD?

• Thread starter DapperDeer
  • Start date
  • Views 248
D

DapperDeer

Reaction score
I've always been a NVIDIA and Intel fanboy, but lately I've been looking at AMD for GPU's and processors recently.

Can anyone tell me any major differences between them? I'm pretty sure the high-end GPU's for AMD are the 7950's/7970's, but I could be totally wrong. I know practically nothing about the AMD processors.

To be honest, I'm just trying to learn even more about computers in general at the moment and felt this was a good place to start. :tongue:

I do know a little, as I've built my own system, and have gained a little knowledge over time. But I still have a craving to learn more. :biggrin:

Thanks guys.

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
I've always been a NVIDIA and Intel fanboy, but lately I've been looking at AMD for GPU's and processors recently.

Can anyone tell me any major differences between them? I'm pretty sure the high-end GPU's for AMD are the 7950's/7970's, but I could be totally wrong. I know practically nothing about the AMD processors.

To be honest, I'm just trying to learn even more about computers in general at the moment and felt this was a good place to start. :tongue:

I do know a little, as I've built my own system, and have gained a little knowledge over time. But I still have a craving to learn more. :biggrin:

Thanks guys.

The 7950/7970 are part of the higher end right now with the 7990 being the highest. The 7950 and 7970 are virtually the same, except the 7970 performs ~5% better so not a huge difference between them.

AMD processors are good but generally geared towards lower budget builds, they may say "Eight core" on paper, but an intel i5-3570k or i7-3770k quad core processor will outperform them.

H

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score
The 7950/7970 are part of the higher end right now with the 7990 being the highest. The 7950 and 7970 are virtually the same, except the 7970 performs ~5% better so not a huge difference between them.

AMD processors are good but generally geared towards lower budget builds, they may say "Eight core" on paper, but an intel i5-3570k or i7-3770k quad core processor will outperform them.
The FX-8350 will outperform the i5-3570k.

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
The FX-8350 will outperform the i5-3570k.

I've already shut down a couple other members on this debate, don't really wanna shut you down as well.

overall performance goes to the i5-3570k

B

Brian Runs This

Sleep is the cousin of death
Reaction score
I've already shut down a couple other members on this debate, don't really wanna shut you down as well.

Please let's not start this again.

@OP The 8350 and i5 3570k perform practically the same.

H

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score

On stock clock speed they both perform the same but the Fx-8350 has better OC performance, the end.

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
On stock clock speed they both perform the same but the Fx-8350 has better OC performance, the end.

Higher clock speed doesn't mean better performance the end

I

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
Reaction score
AMD graphics cards are massively superior to NVIDIA cards when it comes to computational performance (OpenCL > CUDA). This generation they're also better value in comparison to some NVIDIA cards, and the higher memory bus on AMD cards helps in multi-monitor gaming/MSAA.

CPU-side and Intel's dominating the high-end market, nothing can touch the i7 line, you pay a hefty price for it though. Intel CPU's have much better single core performance, and in applications of light threading will trump any AMD offerring. They are priced a little more expensive than AMD CPU's, but if you're going to be gaming an Intel i5 is best. AMD does better in heavily threaded applications, often equalling or beating i5 performance. They're much better for streaming, and if you're on a tighter budget it's better to go with a $175 AMD CPU + $225 graphics card vs a $220 Intel CPU + $170 graphics card.

D

DapperDeer

Reaction score
AMD graphics cards are massively superior to NVIDIA cards when it comes to computational performance (OpenCL > CUDA). This generation they're also better value in comparison to some NVIDIA cards, and the higher memory bus on AMD cards helps in multi-monitor gaming/MSAA.

CPU-side and Intel's dominating the high-end market, nothing can touch the i7 line, you pay a hefty price for it though. Intel CPU's have much better single core performance, and in applications of light threading will trump any AMD offerring. They are priced a little more expensive than AMD CPU's, but if you're going to be gaming an Intel i5 is best. AMD does better in heavily threaded applications, often equalling or beating i5 performance. They're much better for streaming, and if you're on a tighter budget it's better to go with a $175 AMD CPU + $225 graphics card vs a $220 Intel CPU + $170 graphics card.

I thought that the Titan and 790 held the 2 top spots in terms of GPUs? I'm literally curious, not trying to start a fanboy war.

So, basically, for gaming Bossman has an "ideal" setup in terms of CPU + GPU combination? An i5 with an (well in his case, two) AMD GPU?

I

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
Reaction score
I thought that the Titan and 790 held the 2 top spots in terms of GPUs? I'm literally curious, not trying to start a fanboy war.

So, basically, for gaming Bossman has an "ideal" setup in terms of CPU + GPU combination? An i5 with an (well in his case, two) AMD GPU?

The GTX 690 is more powerful than the Titan I believe and is the most powerful single graphics card right now, although that's effectively two GTX 680 chips packed onto one card whereas the Titan has only one GPU (and higher VRAM, which makes it the optimal choice for multi-monitor gaming).

That's the sweet spot for now, yeah. He'd be bottlenecked by his i5 though, an i7 would be better for such powerful graphics cards.

Top Bottom