Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
AMD stock rises 21 percent in five days, 68 percent in three months

49191_1_amd-stock-rises-20-percent-five-days-67-three-months_full.jpg

AMD has seen a staggering 90.65% stock price drop over the last decade, but things are looking up in recent times. In the past 24 hours, following the news Samsung is said to be partnering with AMD to help produce its upcoming Greenland GPU and Zen CPU chips, stock has risen 3.25% as of press time, and 21.19% over the past five days. Looking at the bigger picture, it's seen a 28.83% hike over the past month, and a 68.24% hike over the past three months.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/49191/amd-stock-rises-21-percent-five-days-68-three-months/index.html

trtl

trtl

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Forum Addict Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I was watching them when they were back at ~2 and dropping. I would have bought if I had the cash back then, I told my dad to but he chickened out when they dipped and set a sell at 2.25... Oh well lol.

Vahkesh

Vahkesh

I'm the best get over it
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks to AMD's 4Q of 2014 I've been cashing in on them big time this year. If you plan on investing in them pull out before mid-late February I predict google will begin announcing their quantum processors.

Chazay

Chazay

Android
Retired
Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Donator Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
It was 2.85 back in April when I was doing a stock project in school.

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm still waiting to upgrade my 7950's. Hopefully amd had some good **** out that isn't underminded by nvidia by the time I need to upgrade.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm still waiting to upgrade my 7950's. Hopefully amd had some good **** out that isn't underminded by nvidia by the time I need to upgrade.
One of biggest problems amd has had was the 7950/7970's were too damn good that it made it kinda stupid to upgrade for most users like for a card that came out in 2011 and it competes today. Now that 390's are getting cheaper its looking for a more viable option if your cards dying but if your on 60hz 1080p your cards probably more than enough.

Nvidia's 680 was pretty good as well but having mere 2gb of ram made it so it could be killed easier.

Kepler & GCN were pretty big performance gains but Maxwell & GCN 1.2 are mainly just removing some bottlenecks of their archs.

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
One of biggest problems amd has had was the 7950/7970's were too damn good that it made it kinda stupid to upgrade for most users like for a card that came out in 2011 and it competes today. Now that 390's are getting cheaper its looking for a more viable option if your cards dying but if your on 60hz 1080p your cards probably more than enough.

Nvidia's 680 was pretty good as well but having mere 2gb of ram made it so it could be killed easier.

Kepler & GCN were pretty big performance gains but Maxwell & GCN 1.2 are mainly just removing some bottlenecks of their archs.

Exactly. I can't see myself spending 400+ bucks on a new card if I'm still running new games on high. And I've had these cards for nearly 3 years.

Jeeper

Jeeper

Jeeper of Rivia
Seasoned Veteran Mr. Nice Guy Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Exactly. I can't see myself spending 400+ bucks on a new card if I'm still running new games on high. And I've had these cards for nearly 3 years.
My 7950 is too good. But I am liking my 780ti even more. :smile:

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$
One of biggest problems amd has had was the 7950/7970's were too damn good that it made it kinda stupid to upgrade for most users like for a card that came out in 2011 and it competes today.

That was before bit coin miners brought 'all' of them.

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$
Why were the 7950s and 7970 that good for mining? Was it the raw power they possesed?

I don't know exact reason, but it wasn't raw power. It was the way they worked out algorithm or something like that compared to nvidia cards and those were best at working it out in terms of performance/cost. They were selling for like 400$ on ebay and were out of stock everywhere at the bitcoin mining peak. I'm sure you can look up exact explanation if you want.

In terms of raw power they're similar to gtx 760/770 etc.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Why were the 7950s and 7970 that good for mining? Was it the raw power they possesed?
Bitcoin mining is raw compute power (similar to many rendering programs) AMD cards destroy Nvidia in Compute while Nvidia specializes in geometry (like tessellation). Tesselation is irrelevent for bitcoin as its just simple calculations u brute force where Nvidia would be better for specialized algorithms not just brute force.

Teraflops of a card pretty much predicts bitcoin mining ability.

In raw compute power 4.3 teraflops on the 7970 ghz edition & the 770 had arround 3.5 and the 780 (non ti) had 4.0 I think the 7970 ghz edition was on par with the 780ti in bitcoin mining.

Considering the 780 (non ti) was about $500 during the craze and the 7970 was about $450 miners would prefer the 7970 but for gamers that would have been a terrible choice to grab a 7970 (its closer today AMD drivers have improved greatly but still 780 > 7970)

TheRedishFire

TheRedishFire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Anyone think nows a good time to buy amd stock its the beginning of the year and they are going to release zen and pascal

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah true but do you think AMD is a good buy or do you think nvidia and Intel will keep driving amd into the ground

Seems decent time to test it.

AMD's stocks just crashed recently again to back what they were a few months ago but unlikely to stay this low. Investing in AMD if they get to 1.7 would be a great investment if your planning on holding for about a year imo. But that is risking it all on Zen.

No idea anything with Zen but Zen's goal is to get IPC similar to Haswell to be competitive. So Kabylake may be a bit faster per core but should be similar range.

AMD GPU's have been much better buys than Nvidia.

If Zen can get even close to Haswell IPC and also get an 8 core out that would be insane for anyone rendering and would be great for gamers. Even a cheap 4 core would be priced like an i3 with good performance. This would give confidence in their stocks.

The x86 market is declining so Zen really needs to be a big boom.

Last edited:
Jeeper

Jeeper

Jeeper of Rivia
Seasoned Veteran Mr. Nice Guy Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah true but do you think AMD is a good buy or do you think nvidia and Intel will keep driving amd into the ground
I think AMD is a great buy. NVIDIA is not a good buy in most situations.

Vahkesh

Vahkesh

I'm the best get over it
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
AMD will be releasing information on their next Gen CPU in the following weeks. Would be a good idea to buy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register