Solved Am I Wasting My Money?

• Thread starter GypsyCrazyBoy
  • Start date
  • Views 483
GypsyCrazyBoy

GypsyCrazyBoy

Capitalism is a dirty business
Reaction score
So I'm trying to build a gaming pc to run GTA 5 at high or ultra settings when it releases.
Is this build good or am I wasting My money? I already bought the Power supply, CPU cooler and case. I just ordered the motherboard but I can cancel it now if I wanted to.
Thanks
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GypsyCrazyBoy/saved/v2fFf7

Dini

Dini

merged
Retired
Scaling the Mountain CotM Modder
Reaction score
Should possibly be able to handle it, though if you could spend an extra few bucks i'd recommend an AMD FX 8350 for the CPU.

God

God

VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Nope. That build will be able to play GTA V.

GypsyCrazyBoy

GypsyCrazyBoy

Capitalism is a dirty business
Reaction score
Should possibly be able to handle it, though if you could spend an extra few bucks i'd recommend an AMD FX 8350 for the CPU.
Nope. That build will be able to play GTA V.
Thanks. I'm really nervous about doing this but its better than buying an already built pc

NeRo_

NeRo_

Made in Australia.
Reaction score
I'd cancel it and go with alienware :wink:

Cryptid

Cryptid

Stickied Grizzled Veteran Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Alienware FTW

Alienwares are just $1,500 PCs with the name brand on it which makes it cost $5,000+. They are a waste of money.

Agree with Dini here. Alienware PC's (and indeed almost all pre-builts) are horribly overpriced. You're paying $300 or so extra above what you'd pay to build it yourself, which, even your first time building, takes at most a few hours. Essentially you're paying someone $100/hour to build a PC for you if you buy pre-built.

NeRo_

NeRo_

Made in Australia.
Reaction score
Agree with Dini here. Alienware PC's (and indeed almost all pre-builts) are horribly overpriced. You're paying $300 or so extra above what you'd pay to build it yourself, which, even your first time building, takes at most a few hours. Essentially you're paying someone $100/hour to build a PC for you if you buy pre-built.
I dis agree but everyone is different I my self have a Aurora desktop and MX17 R4 Laptop and they both are amazing, never once had an issue. Don't hate "Alienware fan boy" over here. :rolleyes:

God

God

VIP
Retired
Reaction score
I dis agree but everyone is different I my self have a Aurora desktop and MX17 R4 Laptop and they both are amazing, never once had an issue. Don't hate "Alienware fan boy" over here. :rolleyes:
Which Aurora desktop do you own?

ZoZo

ZoZo

Adventure begins where fear ends.
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Frame In Gold Bug Finder
Reaction score
If anyone is wasting money, it has to be God God .

Cryptid

Cryptid

Stickied Grizzled Veteran Grammar Nazi
Reaction score

It's not to say you'll never have any issues. Heck, my 11 year old Dell pre-built has never had an issue with it. The problem is price. If you're okay with paying a markup for a product, that's great. But I'd consider looking in to building your own in the future. That's what 99% of the members of this section would recommend. To provide an example, let's look at a brand new $1,500 Alienware: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r4/pd?oc=dpcwny1&model_id=alienware-aurora-r4 note the specs.

Now, here's a self-build for $1,460, ($40 less than the Alienware): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jBKt99 it includes the highest benching card in the current card-lineup for gaming at 1920x1080p. For about $100 less you can get the best card for 1440p+ as well. It also covers Windows 8.1, which I would usually not include as pirating that is quite easy. If you did that, you'd end up with $110 more to spend. Meaning that you would have spent $1,350 ($1,250 if you game at 1440p+) for a computer that is better than the Alienware, with just a few hours to assemble. You could use the leftover money for a monitor, keyboard, more RAM, better cooler, etc.

Top Bottom