Aiming help

Discussion in 'Halo 3 & Halo 3: ODST' started by Brexxin, Dec 7, 2008 with 15 replies and 793 views.

1. Brexxin

Brexxin Newbie

Ratings:
    Hello all,

I have watched/read numerous videos/guides on halo 3 strategies but i still need help with my aiming.

The problem isn't in how to aim in the game but with the controller. I always seem to pull one of my shots and it throws off my 3 chest/1 head routine. When i pull its hard for me to get back into it so the shot after is sorta sloppy also.

Does anyone have any advice or pictures they could share with me on controller hand positioning? I have long fingers and that may throw me off also, not sure on that one though lol...

Any help appreciated.

2. sickspider

sickspider Banned

Ratings:
    aim for the head, never stop shooting and go for beat downs! thats all i can tell u, be more specific?

3. OP
    Brexxin

Brexxin Newbie

Ratings:
    Thumb position on the controller. Do you try to keep your thumbs on the center of the stick or towards the outside etc etc...

It feels more comfortable to me on the outsides but may be a reason i jerk controller stick from time to time, if their are any suggestions i'd be happy to try them out.

4. I Got Me some 24"s

I Got Me some 24"s Getting There

Ratings:
    You could try lowering your sensitivity, if you do you wont go out as far and it will be easier to get back in. It is for me anyway.

5. OP
    Brexxin

Brexxin Newbie

Ratings:
    My sensitivity is at 2. I'm already at a disadvantage with that. Some players can play with much higher settings and i'd love to be one of those people.

6. MINICHIMP 3

MINICHIMP 3 Getting There

Ratings:
    all you gotta do is practice. you probably wont find any tuts that will help you out because everyone has their own style. just get a friend and play a s*** load of custom games and eventually you will get better over time. skill isnt something you can take a short cut with , it takes time and practice.

as far as finger placement , i have very large hands and long fingers as well and i find it easier for me if i play with my thumbs on the bottom edge of the sticks. maybe that can help you some , but again , practice , practice, practice. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    Brexxin

Brexxin Newbie

Ratings:
    That the exact answer i was looking for. I play on the bottom edge as well. The main reason for my post was to get rid of the mental block i had that my hand placement was to blame.

Thank you all for your time.

8. MINICHIMP 3

MINICHIMP 3 Getting There

Ratings:
    no problem dude. now get out there and pwn sum n00bz!:biggrin:

9. TI Seven

TI Seven Getting There

Ratings:
    Try 4 sensitvity, you might get mad at first but it gets better over time with practice. I went from 1 sensitivity to 4 and it improved my gameplay a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    Brexxin

Brexxin Newbie

Ratings:
    Will do

11. bradenriver64

bradenriver64 Banned

Ratings:
    I actually went from 4 to 2. And it improved my br skillz a whole lot.

12. TI Seven

TI Seven Getting There

Ratings:
    I wouldn't dout it. Everyone has their own setup. It's all about what YOUR good with, not what pros or other good people use. I hate when people use a certian sensitvity or button layout just because a pro uses it and they end up doing really bad with it.

My advice is to keep trying different setup untill you find the right one that your good with.

13. iAmBieN ZzZ

iAmBieN ZzZ Enthusiast

Ratings:
    i went from 7 to 4 and default to bumper jumper and my br has gotten amazing.
    also its good to play with players better than yourself. so you can pick up some of their habits

14. EnergiE

EnergiE Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Play those square foundry warm up maps every so often to practice your BR. I find it easier to play on a high sensitivity with my thumbs in the middle of the sticks. But as somebody else said practice and you'll get it down.

15. OP
    Brexxin

Brexxin Newbie

Ratings:
    The past couple weeks before i play i load up blank foundry br/snipe/plasma and put my alternate controller to strafe left...i just use evasive strafes and side jumps to practice, makes it quite a bit harder but i seem to slowly be improving...I just have to learn how to not pull my shot under stress now lol.

16. BloodHound4444

BloodHound4444 Newbie

Ratings:
    Try practicing with the auto look centering on with a low or high sensitivity. I tried using that with a high sensitivity after not playing for a while and it helped me getting back my aim. After you get good take it off because it will get annoying.