What's new

Discussion After the final DLC "Nuka World" came out, your thoughts on the whole game?

• Thread starter WWE
  • Start date
  • Views 2,265
W

WWE

Retired
Retired
Trifecta Mr. Nice Guy Community Spotlight
Reaction score
Sin$
The game was increidible. When I first played it I was confused on how to get out of the house, then I got the hook of it and I kept playing and completed the game. It was incredible but I've yet to play the DLC's.

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$
Really? I've yet to play Fallout 3 and I have the GOTY disks sitting right in front of me.

Fallout 3 was actually an RPG. Fallout 4 is an open world FPS.

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Fallout 3 was actually an RPG. Fallout 4 is an open world FPS.
Fortunately, there are mods to fix that.

I think New Vegas was the perfect Fallout game. Obsidian took a lot of heat for a lot, mainly because they're not Bethesda Game Studios, but New Vegas was an excellent game that I think I could still play even today. I don't know if I'd say that Fallout 4 was the worst, it certainly comes close, though. I was going to say that Bethesda Game Studios should give Obsidian Entertainment creative freedom over the next Fallout game, but then I thought that they should just let Obsidian take over Fallout completely. They're much better at it than Bethesda, in my opinion, whereas Bethesda is really good at making The Elder Scrolls games.

My thoughts on Fallout 4 are that, overall, it's been disappointing. Modders had to fix too many issues on release and they're still fixing things. They just recently became able to edit in-game animations, so that's something a lot of modders have been working on. Bethesda could have handled everything much better, from releasing the Creation Kit much earlier to rethinking their DLC plans. They said settlements would be optional and then half of the DLC they released was settlement crap that should have been in the game to begin with (and some if it was, just added in by mods).

Exploring was pointless because of randomized loot and no unique items, legendary weapons were a total failure, Survival was good during testing but made worse on release, the story and gameplay overall was uncharacteristically shallow, and Fallout 4's base game was not very memorable in the slightest. I didn't care about any of the characters except for interesting and/or deep companions like Deacon, Curie, Danse, Han****, etc. and certainly none of the antagonists were even worth thinking about except for Kellogg who was killed off just after he became an interesting character and never was touched on after that.

tl;dr lots of potential, wasted. They simplified too many elements going in and I think that mindset applied to the rest of the game. There was a sore lack of easter eggs and things to bother exploring for. Modders had to and still have to fix way too much and it's amazing that they care after the treatment the modding community has gotten from Bethesda.

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$

I think New Vegas was the perfect Fallout game. Obsidian took a lot of heat for a lot, mainly because they're not Bethesda Game Studios, but New Vegas was an excellent game that I think I could still play even today. I don't know if I'd say that Fallout 4 was the worst, it certainly comes close, though. I was going to say that Bethesda Game Studios should give Obsidian Entertainment creative freedom over the next Fallout game, but then I thought that they should just let Obsidian take over Fallout completely. They're much better at it than Bethesda, in my opinion, whereas Bethesda is really good at making The Elder Scrolls games.

My thoughts on Fallout 4 are that, overall, it's been disappointing. Modders had to fix too many issues on release and they're still fixing things. They just recently became able to edit in-game animations, so that's something a lot of modders have been working on. Bethesda could have handled everything much better, from releasing the Creation Kit much earlier to rethinking their DLC plans. They said settlements would be optional and then half of the DLC they released was settlement crap that should have been in the game to begin with (and some if it was, just added in by mods).

Exploring was pointless because of randomized loot and no unique items, legendary weapons were a total failure, Survival was good during testing but made worse on release, the story and gameplay overall was uncharacteristically shallow, and Fallout 4's base game was not very memorable in the slightest. I didn't care about any of the characters except for interesting and/or deep companions like Deacon, Curie, Danse, Han****, etc. and certainly none of the antagonists were even worth thinking about except for Kellogg who was killed off just after he became an interesting character and never was touched on after that.

tl;dr lots of potential, wasted. They simplified too many elements going in and I think that mindset applied to the rest of the game. There was a sore lack of easter eggs and things to bother exploring for. Modders had to and still have to fix way too much and it's amazing that they care after the treatment the modding community has gotten from Bethesda.

I agree. Fallout4 was designed for pleb audience who loves to rush through, and run/gun everything. Modders can't fix fundamental design flaws imo. My favorite remains New Vegas too.

The DLC of NV was actual content too unlike 2/6 DLC pieces (I don't consider automatron a full piece), which may I add raised the season pass price lul. Felt like 1 New Vegas DLC had more content than Automatron/Far Harbour combined.

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
I agree. Fallout4 was designed for pleb audience who loves to rush through, and run/gun everything. Modders can't fix fundamental design flaws imo. My favorite remains New Vegas too.

The DLC of NV was actual content too unlike 2/6 DLC pieces (I don't consider automatron a full piece), which may I add raised the season pass price lul. Felt like 1 New Vegas DLC had more content than Automatron/Far Harbour combined.
Not to mention the stories in the DLC were incredible. The base game appealed to a broad audience story-wise: you're shot and left for dead and now you're tracking your would-be killer across post-apocalyptic Las Vegas. A neat concept in and of itself, but the real gem was slowly finding out more and more about this mysterious character and the past of our own character.

Ulysses gave more substance to The Courier in one piece of graffiti (Go home, Courier Six) than Fallout 4 did with the Sole Survivor across the entire main plot...

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Not to mention the stories in the DLC were incredible. The base game appealed to a broad audience story-wise: you're shot and left for dead and now you're tracking your would-be killer across post-apocalyptic Las Vegas. A neat concept in and of itself, but the real gem was slowly finding out more and more about this mysterious character and the past of our own character.

Ulysses gave more substance to The Courier in one piece of graffiti (Go home, Courier Six) than Fallout 4 did with the Sole Survivor across the entire main plot...

I agree, with those points. Its up to player to find a way to him. Choice is there. You can even go as far as potentially sleeping with the antagonist.

The fallout nv DLC make a better stand alone game than F4. Even lonesome road alone makes for a better game than F4.

Adolfin

Adolfin

Your Mom's Favourite VIP
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit End of the Year 2018 Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I have really enjoyed Fallout 4 as a game. I really like the settlement building since it allows me to get creative and invest a lot of time into building up the Commonwealth. The only issue I have with the game is that the main story is severely lacking in content, so much so that I can barely remember what happens in it. I think that Bethesda got lost in the hype which caused them to produce a game that didn't live up to expectations. Perhaps that was our own fault for giving them our money so early with preorders.

DatEnglishRose

DatEnglishRose

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have really enjoyed Fallout 4 as a game. I really like the settlement building since it allows me to get creative and invest a lot of time into building up the Commonwealth. The only issue I have with the game is that the main story is severely lacking in content, so much so that I can barely remember what happens in it. I think that Bethesda got lost in the hype which caused them to produce a game that didn't live up to expectations. Perhaps that was our own fault for giving them our money so early with preorders.
Ill sum it up as breifly as i can
Oh no! Bombs!
Brr its cold
NOOOOO!!!
Brr its cold
I need to find Sean!
Another settlement needs our help
KELLOOOOOOGG!!!
Zappy zappy
I found Sean!
Bang bang bang
Big explosions
War never changes.

Jet1337

Jet1337

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's fun running around in X-02 tesla power armor (looking forward to the hellfire power armor),beating the **** out of everything in VATS with that bat I got from Cito and having Biggie Smalls show up every now and then to bust a cap in an ***, and also wrecking **** with my Final Judgment from the Unique Uniques mod.

That's about it. All the DLCs minus NW were forgettable. New Vegas set a standard that F4 couldn't reach. If they ever make a TC that takes the Creation Engine and puts it in New Vegas I'll never play F4 again.

Harry

Harry

Dope
Programmer Mythical Veteran Journalist
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I really enjoyed Fallout 4 overall, I didn't feel it was better than Fallout 3 overall... It was however still a very good game :thumbsup:

Granted, it took mods to fix some of the bugs within the game. It shouldn't be a detriment to the title though, it was still a very good game that I really enjoyed.

Caramelized

Caramelized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The game was increidible. When I first played it I was confused on how to get out of the house, then I got the hook of it and I kept playing and completed the game. It was incredible but I've yet to play the DLC's.
Nuka World was the only good dlc in this one. Fallout 3 was better in my opinion but anything beats New Vegas! NV is the worse Bethesda game I have ever played

Adolfin

Adolfin

Your Mom's Favourite VIP
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit End of the Year 2018 Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Nuka World was the only good dlc in this one. Fallout 3 was better in my opinion but anything beats New Vegas! NV is the worse Bethesda game I have ever played
Far Harbor was a very good DLC and was liked by the majority of the community.

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
Far Harbor was a very good DLC and was liked by the majority of the community.
Gonna have to agree with Adolfin. I thoroughly enjoyed Far Harbor and I felt as though the factions were implemented very well, especially when compared to the mess that Fallout 4's main story factions had. Each side was unique and their situations/motives made sense which is something that I really enjoy, personally. When I can play through the DLC and ask myself why a certain faction or person is doing something and I'm trying to figure out the answer in the quests, it's really captivating and drives me to finish the story. Far Harbor really had that effect for me with DiMA and even the Far Harbor residents and Children of Atom.

I wish it had more content, like how there was a lot of side content in Shivering Isles for Oblivion (which they compared Far Harbor to on more than one occasion) but overall, I'd say it was a great experience.

I've yet to play Nuka-World, but the concept is very neat and I'm sure it'll be something that I'll enjoy.

Worldofpossible

Worldofpossible

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

That was probably the most accurate description of Fallout 4. I did, however rather like the vats vs fps elements. I felt the antagonists were bonkers, and had no real good real to help the commonwealth with their technology. Just "meh it's pointless" was a rather lame and pathetic argument for bunch geniuses to make.

Amnehaze

Amnehaze

Se7enSins Stoner
Reaction score
Sin$
The game was incredible, nothing else to say, just fantastic and never fails to amuse me.

Master

Master

Magnanimous
10th Anniversary Grizzled Veteran Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
Fallout 4 has many good aspects, but it also has its flaws. The game, aesthetically, was beautiful. The story line was lacking quite extensively. It was hard to motivate myself to continue the main story. IMO the problem with this game is the DLCs and the main story. It has so much potential but fell through. I am not sure what the reason for it, but it did. Disappointment would be appropriate word to describe the game; however it did have its moments.

Top Bottom
Login
Register