What's new

Question Adobe After Effects being painfully slow

Twain

Twain

Kamehameha!
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey, so i just downloaded After Effects CC 2017 a few days ago and i have some really annoying performance issues with it.
1. If i hide or show a layer it sometimes takes up to 15sec to update the composition preview
2. Previewing 25secs of a 1080p 60fps video takes up to 10min
3. Rendering a 3min 1080p 60fps video takes up to 2h

So now you're probably thinking that i have to upgrade my PC, but i think my setup is pretty decent, not extremly powerful, but decent:
CPU: Intel i7 7700K
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
Memory: 16GB DDR4
Adobe is installed and caching on a 500GB M2 SSD (really fast)

So besides the memory it should be able to render and preview alot faster, i've seen people with the same setup render same stuff in a 1/4 of how long it takes dor me. I tried different codecs, GPU acceleration(didnt change anything) and using Adobe Media Encoder, but same Result all the time. AE gets 13GB Ram of my 16GB.

Anyone have an idea why it's so painfully slow? Ireally cant work under these conditions when i have to wait ~10secs till something in my comp updates.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Note: Rendering a compareable project in vegas pro takes like max 6min. But i have to use AE because of some plugins :S

Operating System
  1. Windows
Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
Is it a new version of AE?
Are there any other program running in the background that uses the GPU or CPU?
Is multiprocessing on?
Do you use a crappy slow hard drive as your scratch disk?

Twain

Twain

Kamehameha!
Reaction score
Sin$
Is it a new version of AE?
Are there any other program running in the background that uses the GPU or CPU?
Is multiprocessing on?
Do you use a crappy slow hard drive as your scratch disk?
It's Adobe After Effects CC 2017 14.2.1, so it's one of the most recent versions i think.
No other programs are running besides my browser and spotify, which aren't using much CPU (and GPU).
I'm kind of missing the Multiprocessing feature, i have had CS6 a while ago and in it i could turn it on under Memory & Threading i think but i looked it up and that feature isn't there anymore in CC 2017.
As said the cache, installation and output folder are on a M2 SSD (one of the fastest, so thats not the issue here).

EDIT:
Look, I'm rendering a 3:28min video rn and its already running since 1h and should run for another 2h, but the counter on the right stayed the same since start so i guess it's gonna be actually like 5h or so. It's so annoying:
Z2ILrVG.png

b21984f0-2ad1-4c70-b630-c5ca6f9881c6

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register