Adding New Chunks?

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Mod Help' started by MM xSkillz, Jun 28, 2009 with 6 replies and 395 views.

1. MM xSkillz

MM xSkillz Newbie

Ratings:
    I was an avid modder in Halo 2 and have just started modding Halo 3. I'm using Forge 2.6.0.0 to mod a map on Last Resort. Specifically, I'd like to create a racetrack out of many of the big_wheel found in the mach tag. Instead of placing objects where I'd like my wheels to go, I'd rather use the coordinate system to determine the placement of them in order to make everything much more precise an professional.

I've placed one plasma grenade on the map which I then change into a wheel. That works great and the wheel appears where the plasma was before (or in a different spot if I change the coordinates).

But then when I click Clone Chunk (or add a new chunk and copy the parameters), the map does not show the new wheel, it only shows the first. So, I've tried upping the run time maximum of the wheel to 2 and also tried changing the Current Budget to 2 as well. Neither of those seem to work and I'm kind of at a bind since I can't figure out how to do this. Is there any way I can get the new chunk that I've created to show up on the map?

2. Kira

Kira Member

Ratings:
    I use Sandbox to add chunks. Maybe you should try that instead.

3. OP
    MM xSkillz

MM xSkillz Newbie

Ratings:
    I've tried using Sandbox v2.0 but whenever I click File > Open Usermap, it only lets me search for .map files. I try to open zanzibar.map (yes, the Halo 3 one, not Halo 2) but it gives me an Unhandled Exception and when I click Continue, it just shows the blank screen again (like as if I had just opened Sandbox and had not yet opened a map). No .con files are showing up at all when I search for files to open. I'm using a Vista computer if that makes any difference. Is there a version of Sandbox higher than v2.0 (if so, I'd love a link to it)? Thanks!

4. SotG Caboose

SotG Caboose Getting There

Ratings:
    You must extract the .map file from the CON. It starts at offset 0xC000.

5. OP
    MM xSkillz

MM xSkillz Newbie

Ratings:
    I found the .map file on another website. But it is possible that that file could be corrupt or something. How do I extract the .map file from the .con? Is there a program I could use to do that (I'm not a master of Hex but if you gave me a step by step tutorial I could probably get it done that way if necessary)? I've seen programs like this but most require some sort of password to use.

Ok, new problem, now whenever I try to open the .map file (the one I downloaded from another website), it says "File was not a usermap." Is there a newer version of Sandbox that allows you to actually open the .con usermap file instead of asking you to open a usermap but then only allowing you to browse for .map files?

6. mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:

7. ManBearPig06

ManBearPig06 The Shiroyasha Retired

Ratings:
    Why are you using such an old version of sandbox? The newest can just open the cons and you don't need the actual map files. If you clone a chunk, you need to save, close the program, and re-open it or else it will just copy any changes to all of them though.