What's new

Discussion Activision on DLC

Made in Australia
Reaction score
Sin$
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-microtransactions-and-expansions-can-co-ex/1100-6431944/

Its an Interview with Gamespot that an Activision suit did. It goes on to say that both models work well together and we should expect more.

Copy and Paste from the article

"Destiny's microtransactions and paid expansions are both selling well, Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said on an earnings call today, November 3. As such, Destiny players can expect to see more of both in the future. Not one or the other, but both--and at the same time, Hirshberg explained.

"I think they're already co-existing," Hirshberg said in response to an analyst's question. "We had a full year of expansions to the game that have been very well received and sold quite well. More recently, you've seen us introduce smaller, in-game purchases that allow people to customize their experience and express themselves; those have been very well received and have sold well also. I think we've already shown that DLC and microtransactions can co-exist and that our community is hungry for more great content."

The analyst specifically asked if Destiny was changing its business model somewhat to favor microtransactions over paid expansions. Hirshberg didn't respond with anything definitive.

"As far as any shifts in strategy, I don't have any announcements today, but I think we have a lot of options at our disposal," he said. "And the reason for that of course is that we have such great engagement with this game."

Hirshberg reiterated that Destiny players, on average, spend around three hours per day in the game. He described that figure as "astounding."

Destiny's paid expansions have included The Dark Below, House of Wolves, and The Taken King. Microtransactions, meanwhile, were introduced in October, beginning with emotes.

In other recent Destiny news, the game has now reached 25 million registered players. Hirshberg said he expects Destiny, the Legendary Edition specifically (which includes the base game and all its DLC), to sell well in the holiday and expand the playerbase further."

PLease activision don't f*cking screw this sh*t up, but the way it looks is that the microtransactions won't be paying for the DLC :|

GG bungo

Teancum

Teancum

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Bummer. Was hoping microtransactions would help fund more content like Kotaku and other sites speculated. Probably won't be spending much more on them, then.

sicurri

sicurri

Fortitudinem Et Honorem
Contest Sponsor AzzidReign Jr Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
You guys need to realize that for the most part activision suits especially, they don't care about the game, the experience, or the story for the game. I mean they as individuals if they play the game enjoy it, but as a business standpoint, they couldn't give a sh*t about any of it. If you notice, the guy mostly talks about how well it's doing from a sales standpoint, that's all they care about in his world. Money money money money money... The only way they care if the game is good, is if its good enough to sell for millions of dollars.

There's advances in the gaming industry that would make it possible right now if they were all combined, to revolutionize gaming. We'd have something along the lines of Sword art Online possible, the gaming aspect, not the trapped in a virtual world aspect, lol. There's a way for us to create unlimited detail right now in games with a particular rendering engine, and people are using it for landscaping, architecture and a few other things. We could do so much more if the right things were combined.

Teancum

Teancum

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Very true, sicurri sicurri

Something we all forget is that Activision is a business, not our buddy. They're in the business of making money, and as long as they can satisfy both shareholders AND gamers, they're doing well. But they're not out to "hook us up" with freebies. I need to remember that, and I think everyone else does too.

xl COOLWHIP

xl COOLWHIP

Passin that weed, like I studied.
Reaction score
Sin$
Activision will always be greedy and money hungry. Look what they've done to the CoD franchise. The DLC is almost the price of the game, $4 weapon skins and $6 char skins(AW) then don't forget the supply drops and how they added 8-9 weapons but the only way you can unlock the base version is supply drops, that don't drop often during games and they price them at $2 a case..

Lurch Skywalker

Lurch Skywalker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I for one am sick of paying for lackluster expansions, and will refuse a purchase if they try gouging my wallet again. Microtransactions have certainly made enough money to fill their wallets AND pay for the expenses of new content.

Top Bottom
Login
Register