What's new

Solved Accidentally Shorted one of the RAM chips, Any ideas?

• Thread starter Doshypete
  • Start date
  • Views 283
D

Doshypete

Reaction score
So I was installing my first RGH mod when I noticed that there was a blob of solder right next to the RAM chip that must of fell off my soldering iron.

I managed to pry it out and it had unfortunately shaped around the balls under the RAM chip.

It RROD's when I turn it on now due to the RAM balls being shorted, any idea how I can get the pieces that are left in there out? I am using leaded(63/37) solder which I think has a lower melting point.

Pics: imgur.com/a/JdkbJEv

K

Killjoy666

Getting There
Reaction score
So I was installing my first RGH mod when I noticed that there was a blob of solder right next to the RAM chip that must of fell off my soldering iron.

I managed to pry it out and it had unfortunately shaped around the balls under the RAM chip.

It RROD's when I turn it on now due to the RAM balls being shorted, any idea how I can get the pieces that are left in there out? I am using leaded(63/37) solder which I think has a lower melting point.

Pics: imgur.com/a/JdkbJEv
Well You Thing A Bad Thing Already And That’s Prying It Out.

You Will Have To Examine If You Rip Any Pads Now. Also Best Thing Is To Add Some Flux On The Points And Reflowing It. Could Also Pass Your Soldering Iron With Some Wick (Should Of Done This In The First Place), But The Inportant Thing Is To Flux It Before Putting Any Heat On Those Points.

D

Doshypete

Reaction score
I only have about 2tbsp of liquid flux, I'm thinking i could dump that by the ram chip and then use a heat gun and blast it.

Or I might try using some solvent to dissolve the lead, would that be a good idea?

R

rynax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say it is hard to fix this problem.
Might be just use this board as practice board and buy a replacement board for about $20?

D

Doshypete

Reaction score
Yeah I have another one but it's a falcon. I guess it won't be that big of a difference.

If anyone wants this for like 10$ with hookups, hit me up. It was working fine until this.

A

ANG3LK1LL3R127

Trusted Member
Reaction score
after examining your pictures unless your good at trace repair the board is junk it looks like you have scraped some of the trace lines off by the ram chip.

D

Doshypete

Reaction score
nah I didn't scratch it that deep, I tested the continuity

Top Bottom