Discussion Abnormal Reformating

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by idkjosh, Jul 2, 2006 with 4 replies and 298 views.

1. idkjosh

idkjosh Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I ran into a huge problem when i was thinking about re-formating, my dvd drive doesnt work. So me and kontra were talking about it, and he said that I could probably take my HD and plug it into my mom's computer and reformat it. So i have a version of windows on a disk and everything. I take my HD to my moms computer and plug it in. Can start windows right. I sit and think for a little bit. Cant come up with too much. So I come back to my computer, and plug my HD back. I start it up and everything runs good. He tells me to set the dvd drive to boot before the HD. So once again i remove me HD and put it back in my moms computer. I start it up, and push F2, I change the settings tho that the DVD boots before the HD, I restart the computer and it doesnt seem to change a thing.
    I'm here to ask if I am just wasting my time, or is there a way to get this to work?

If there is some other way I can try I would love to.
    I want to reformat my computer because 1. Hopefully get the dvd drive to work again and 2. Something is wrong with my true vector service.

Im willing to try almost anything. Thanks.

2. Siege Soldier

Siege Soldier Enthusiast

Ratings:
    is the hard drive your trying to format still have windows on it? i know how to get the dvd drive to work very easy. Just involves a quick registry edit and basically making the dvd drive appear as it was just put in the computer so it should be reinstalled by itself threw the xp plug n play feature

3. OP
    idkjosh

idkjosh Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Ya, its still got windows. Im on it rigth now. Runs fine.

4. Siege Soldier

Siege Soldier Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Right click on My Computer / Properties / Hardware / Device Manager

Click on the + to expand DVD / CD Rom Drives - this will show your DVD drive. Right Click and select remove/uninstall.

it should then auto detect the dvd drive and a new found hardware icon should appear. if that doesn't work then i'll show you the registry way

5. OP
    idkjosh

idkjosh Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Nope, Iv done that multiple times. Doesnt work.