• Views 12,154
Superman

Superman

Phenomenal.
Legendary Veteran Reporter Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Dear Se7enSins members,

In this topic/tutorial I'll tell you how to protect your computer from any unwanted viruses, Trojans or any other intruders. This will not only protect any privacy information but will also fasten up your computer a lot. Since my computer got 'hacked' a while ago I started asking different computer and security experts on 'How to protect my computer'. After I had spoken to a some good security experts, I noticed that they all recommended the same 4 programs.

Avast! Free AntiVirus

Avast! is a popular anti-virus computer program that protects you from any viruses. Download Avast! Free AntiVirus in a few simple steps.

1. Download Avast! Free AntiVirus: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
  2. Click on 'Download*' at 'Free AntiVirus' (Note: You'll be redirected to Download.Cnet.com. Just click on 'Downlad Now')

AvastFreeDownloadButton.png
  3. Ignore all the advertisements for 'Get PRO!', 'Offer: Only €100000,- per month!' etc.
  4. Install Avast! Free AntiVirus
  5. After installing it should look something like this:
    Avast.png
  6. Click on 'Scan Computer' -> 'Full Computer Scan'.
    AvastScanComputer-1.png
  7. It will remove viruses and other intruders.
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Spybot - Search & Destroy is a not very popular program that is only known by a small group of people. The program is not made by a huge company but by a small group of hackers/programmers. This program searches deeply in your computer for any unwanted files, programs, caches or viruses.
Install Spybot - Search on Destroy in some small easy steps:
  1. Download Spybot - Seach & Destroy: http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html
  2. Click on 'Download Now' in the left-top corner of the page.

SpybotDownload.png
  3. Follow the steps and install Spybot - Search & Destroy.
  4. After installing it should look like this:
    Spybot.png
  5. You'll probably notice the cheapness of the program but the program is made for its functionality and not for the lay-out.
  6. Before you click on problems always click on 'Check for Updates' and choose a place where you want to download it from. (Tip: Choose a mirror from a place close to you. It will increase the download speed.)
  7. Click on 'Check for problems' and remove the threats found.
ATF Cleaner
You'll probably know CCleaner. This program is the same principal as CCleaner but better, smaller and faster. I'll only cleans up/delete the files necessarily unlike CCleaner. Install ATF Cleaner in a couple of mouse clicks:
  1. Download ATF Cleaner: http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html
  2. Click on 'Download Locations'.

ATFDownload-1.png
  3. Follow the steps and install ATF Cleaner.
  4. After installing it should like like this:
    ATFCleaner.png
  5. It will look like a really cheap program but again, it is about the functionality and not about the lay-out.
  6. Select the files you want to delete or simply click 'Select all' and click on 'Empty Selected'.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a relatively popular program that protects you from malware. Install Malwarebytes in the following steps:
  1. Download Malwarebytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html
  2. Click on 'Download Now'.

Malwarebytesdownload.png
  3. Follow the steps and install Malwarebytes. (Note: Ignore all the advertisements that tell you to buy the 'Pro version' etc.
  4. After installing it should look like this:
    MalwareBytes.png
  5. Choose the scan you want and perform it.
___________________________________________________________________________________

I recommend doing this at least 1x in two weeks.
If you have any questions/comments, PM me or comment.

Operating System
  1. Windows
FilthyJack

FilthyJack

Gentlemen.
Donator Mr. Nice Guy Gifter
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice Thread!

I Have noticed AVG is the only anti virus that detects my friends rat.

You should add AVG. :smile:

Superman

Superman

Phenomenal.
Legendary Veteran Reporter Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice Thread!

I Have noticed AVG is the only anti virus that detects my friends rat.

You should add AVG. :smile:

I used to have AVG in the past but after some testing I found out that Avast! detects more threads and scans your computer better.

InfectHead

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
End of the Year 2012 MotM Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
ATF Cleaner looks just like Windows built-in disk-clean up tool, only worse :/

D1G1TAL

D1G1TAL

║▌││║▌║││║▌│║║│▌ ɴзтшøяkзđ
Hardened Veteran Modder Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the post man :smile: Avast is a pretty good antivirus program. Some antivirus software detect more than others but it all depends on their updated definition files are. McAfee and Norton = I don't recommend. They have more exploits than any other antivirus I've tested. Spybot S&D is also a good program but after running a system scan and if it detected anything read each detected file because at time is detects some system dll's that are not infections. I would recommend Ad-Aware instead but after a few scurity audits on that program I found 23 vulnerabilities and when I send reports to the software developers they tend to ignore it.

Whale Hunter

MrRhino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I googled around and there was this competition which said that ESET NOD32 Antivirus & Smart Security are the best anti-virus software on the market.

You do have to pay a license for it, but there are also cracks/torrents which will do the job, without a paid license. What you also can do, is google for Trials or actually paid licenses. Unfortunately, they get patched really often.

Still, if you really like it, just pay for it.

Also, there is no way to secure your PC without paying for it, if you don't have much knowledge about computers and the security of them.

Flying Taco

Flying Taco

Contributor
Mr. Nice Guy Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Personally i use Avira. I found it to be pretty accurate and straight forward. But nice tut.

fat pat 666

fat pat 666

Lucifixture
MotM Jokester Greeter
Reaction score
Sin$
command prompt>type Ms Config> Go to Start Up. >unselected everything> reboot<#Winning

Top Bottom
Login
Register