What's new

Discussion A message from xbox to the modded xboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cleggy07

Reaction score
Sin$
Anywhere between an estimated 600,000 and 1 million players who use Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming service will be cut off from the service because they have modified their game consoles or played games that were illegally downloaded from file-sharing sites, according to the company.

"All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and that modifying their Xbox 360 console violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live," Microsoft said in a statement Wednesday.

The timing of the statement coincides with the release this week of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2," a highly anticipated Xbox 360 game. The game's release means big sales but also sales of pirated copies, which are illegal.

There are more than 20 million players worldwide who use the Xbox Live gaming service, according to Microsoft. The service lets gamers play each other online as well as buy and download games.

"All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and modifying their Xbox 360 console violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live," Microsoft said.

"We can assure you that if an Xbox Live member follows the Xbox Live terms of use, purchased a retail copy of 'Modern Warfare 2' and played the game on an unmodified Xbox 360, no action will be taken.

Dave Taylor, publishing director for GamerZines.com, said he understands why some people may want to modify their consoles.

"It's fair for people to feel that they should be able to do whatever they want with something that they have bought, but it's also fair for Microsoft to do everything it can to reduce the risk of piracy," he said.

"In some cases though, modding (modifying) is done to allow a bigger hard drive, and given that the supplied hard drives are still very small comparative to what is available on the market, and expensive also, you can see why some people are going to be very angry."

However, he said, "the biggest problem in banning modded consoles and this gets missed by most people is that it is the console itself that gets banned. So many of these consoles get sold secondhand, even sometimes unwittingly by stores (that) accept them as trade-ins, to people who assume they have just bought a functioning console. And while it might technically boot up, the console is blacklisted and therefore pretty much useless to them."

Microsoft, he said, "needs to find a way to address this, or else it risks annoying the modders who make up 1 percent of their audience and the second-hand purchasers."

The company "needs to do a better job of explaining to people why modding consoles isn't acceptable, and needs to find a way to help people tricked into purchasing blacklisted consoles," said Taylor.

In its Xbox Live and Windows games' "Terms of Use" agreement, as of September 2008, Microsoft says that players are to use "only authorized software and hardware to access the Service," and that they agree that their software and hardware "have not been modified in any unauthorized way ... and that we have the right to send data, applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification."

In addition, "any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft."

G

-Ghost-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
MS can choke on a fat ****. they are so power drunk. if i bought it and i pay 50$ a year and i have to pay 60$ a game i do whatever the **** i want with it. Thats ridiculous. im gonna go t-bag bill gates... and show him who's boss :thumbup:

Haxalot88

Haxalot88

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
supabridger said:
MS can choke on a fat ****. they are so power drunk. if i bought it and i pay 50$ a year and i have to pay 60$ a game i do whatever the **** i want with it. Thats bull****. Thats ridiculous. :thumbdown:

However if you, instead, start pirating games where you only pay $1-$2 a game, none of that money going to the developers, you rather deserve it. Anyone who got ****ing banned had it coming. Or would you rather they submit a list of names, addresses, etc... to lets say, the FBI? There's one thing to know that if you pirate, you deserve the consequences. There's another to be oblivious to the simple moral code of stealing.

G

-Ghost-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i pay for my games, im saying i should be able to do whatever i want to the CONSOLE, once ive bought it, its my right to tamper with it at my own risk. no one has the right to tell me that i cant do what i want with MY things. thats like saying after you bought a cheese burger, your not allowed to put on condements to make it better. so stupid. if i bought it, im free to do what i want. MS can still go blow themselves :thumbup:

G

Goalieman077

Reaction score
Sin$
It is ridiculus paying 69 for a game. That's why I have backups. It's either I buy used games or backups neither support devs. I still but dlc and so do most people who have backups. I have all fallout expansions , all cod and halo map so it's not like us pirates don't support devs

Scare Croe

Scare Croe

Premium
Premium
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
supabridger said:
i pay for my games, im saying i should be able to do whatever i want to the CONSOLE, once ive bought it, its my right to tamper with it at my own risk. no one has the right to tell me that i cant do what i want with MY things. thats like saying after you bought a cheese burger, your not allowed to put on condements to make it better. so stupid. if i bought it, im free to do what i want. MS can still go blow themselves :thumbup:

(1) The Key Words there are "at my own Risk". Bans happen to be one of the "risks".

(2) ever heard of Copyright law?

well, in case you haven't, it means that even though you bought it, it doesn't make its yours. your the consumer. The inventor, or Company, is the owner. Also Copyright laws say that you cant even Purchase the item with the Intent of "Reverse Engineering" it, so if you've even thought of taking it apart to learn about it and how it works, its illegal to buy one.

:thumbup:

ddxcb

ddxcb

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
They banned my nonmodded xbox FTW AND FU*K YOU MS, PS3 FTW

E

eviljasonn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
ms can go to hell. 1st 360 rrod x2 then bought a arcade when they can out. DVD drive wouldn't read disk. sent in 3 times. at me own risk. Yes at my own risk I opened it up and fix itmyself something ms couldn't seem to do. Flash the drive why not games are 60 dollars and if I want to play my own backups I will. I got banned so why not pirate games for offline play.

M

moeiscool

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Haxalot88 said:
However if you, instead, start pirating games where you only pay $1-$2 a game, none of that money going to the developers, you rather deserve it. Anyone who got ****ing banned had it coming. Or would you rather they submit a list of names, addresses, etc... to lets say, the FBI? There's one thing to know that if you pirate, you deserve the consequences. There's another to be oblivious to the simple moral code of stealing.
lol your stupid not everyone can afford those game there fore should have the right to mod and have games for cheap
i couldnt even buy my xbox my friend gave it for free and the LIVE was a gift from another friend i can barely pay for things myself and i too am a person who deserves fun in their life so why take that away. your stupid if you agree with microsofts choice, more than stupid even.

SupremeCippy

SupremeCippy

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Scare Croe said:
Also Copyright laws say that you cant even Purchase the item with the Intent of "Reverse Engineering" it, so if you've even thought of taking it apart to learn about it and how it works, its illegal to buy one.

:thumbup:
im OK with copyrights saying you cant downloading them without paying and so on. but the revers engineering part piss me of.

moeiscool said:
lol your stupid not everyone can afford those game there fore should have the right to mod and have games for cheap.

hes not the stupid one. devs have to make money too. a few people downloading games dose nothing but if its ok to do it every one will and the devs will end up poor. so while you felling sorry for your self you don't realize you effecting others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register