9400M or 9600M GT?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by T Sizzles, Aug 1, 2009 with 8 replies and 187 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    So I'm getting a 15" MacBook Pro on Monday, and I'm not sure if I should just get the base model with the 9400M GPU or the mid-range which has the 9400M and the 256MB 9600M GT? I don't plan to game on it, I will use it for everyday tasks + photo and video editing, probably not a lot of HD video.

For $1599.99, I get:
    2.53GHz CPU
    4GB RAM
    9400M GPU with 256MB shared
    250GB Hard Drive

For $1849.99, I get:
    2.66GHz CPU
    4GB RAM
    9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB dedicated
    320GB Hard Drive

I'm leaning towards the base model, but I have this feeling that not getting a dedicated GPU will kick me one day down the road.

2. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Honestly it seems the same for price/performance. The "Apple value" is pretty much equal.

3. SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR Retired Retired

Ratings:
    for what your doing I can't justify 1600 bucks + for a mac. I would just research that intel processors can use OSX and buy a normal pc laptop and osx and install it. you will save a few hundred if not more in the final outcome.

but for what your doing don't get dualies, to answer your question directly.

4. OP
    T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I have been to the edge and back with Vista. I want nothing to do with it or Windows 7.

5. SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR Retired Retired

Ratings:
    hence why i said buy a pc with an osx approved processor and save the cash over the first party macs.

6. Saiyan

Saiyan Member

Ratings:

Well there is your problem right there!

But if you absolutely positively have to get a Macbook, you might as well fork over the extra extra money and get the higher model. I mean you are already paying for the name might as well get the small extras with it.

7. OP
    T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Mac>PC

I used to hate them, now I have seen the light. OS is better, build quality is better, battery life is better.

8. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Sizzles, I really hate to jump in here like this...

You're getting ripped off. My girlfriend just bought a 14.1" HP with BETTER specs than that for UNDER $600...that's over 1k off what you're spending. Windows 7 ***** Vista, and you said yourself you use it for 'everyday tasks'....doesn't sound worth the money IMO. You can buy 10 extra batteries for the money you are saving going with Windows....my .02 cents

And ya, spend the extra $250 for a 256MB graphics card if you can afford it :confused:cared:

9. OP
    T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    10 extra batteries? That would be $1,000 alone, plus it would weigh a ****load and be cumbersome to carry.

I ended up getting the version with the 9600GT, it was actually only $100 more + faster CPU and bigger hard drive. I guess Apple has different education discounts in store than online. I also got a free printer and free iPod Touch with it.

I've spent the last hour editing a ton of video I've shot over the past few months. iMovie is so easy to learn, my YouTube channel will be filled in no time!

I knew when I posted this it would become a Mac vs PC fight, I almost didn't post it. Oh well. I love my Mac and that's all that matters. Please close this so I can enjoy this beautiful machine in peace.