64 Bit and 32 Bit

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Calamity, Jan 5, 2009 with 6 replies and 260 views.

1. Calamity

Calamity Script Kitty Retired

Ratings:
    Sorry if there is a thread for this (please point me to it :frown: ), but anyways, I have bought a new computer I am building, comes along with 8 Gigs of RAM, and of course the only way to have 8 Gigs working is 64 bit..

I have heard ALOT about programs not working, but How bad is it exactly? I use pretty basic programs, and when I get this computer I will be gaming most likely because of the beast stats it's going to have xD..

But anyways I'm not sure to JUST get 64 bit ( already have a disc) and I'm not sure if I should dual boot with 32 bit as well, any suggestions etc..?

2. waffle11

waffle11 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well if your using vista (I do) the vast majority of programs I use work fine. Vista has a pretty good 32 bit compatibility mode from the looks of it. However if your going to use XP 64 I have not heard great things about it and 32 bit applications, but then again I have no experience with XP 64.

As of right now I have had no games give me any issues with the 64 bit either and I am running some older titles, like Starcraft for instance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FRABAR

FRABAR Getting There

Ratings:
    So far I haven't actually been restricted by any programs with my x64 because theres is a specific Program Files folder for non 64bit applications

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Alright yeah I'm using Vista Ultimate to be exact (or Will be), thanks for the info.

So to be clear, 32 bit applications have a certain "32 bit folder" To run off if it isn't support in 64 bit?

5. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I run 64bit Vista and haven't had any problems with applications

Yes, 32bit apps that aren't 64bit compatible install in a different 'Program Files' folder
    C:/Program Files <--------64bit
    C:/Program Files (x86) <------- 32bit

• Like Like x 1
  6. Headshots 1125

Headshots 1125 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    When I was on 64 bit the only thing that wouldnt install for me was sandboxie. Nothing else was incompatable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Thanks All I needed installing now :smile: