Hardware Mods 555 Timer Rapid Fire Mod

• Thread starter jdcx95
  • Start date
  • Views 17,563
J

jdcx95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not the same tutorial as posted before.

THIS IS NOT MY TUTORIAL, ALL CREDITS TO MODDED MATT AND KING MIKE.

ORIGINAL TUTORIAL: adjustable 555 rapid fire on trigger radio shack brand

ok rapid fire 555 chip with pot

part list:

part----------------------------radio shack #
TLC 555 timer-------------------276-1718
1.0uf tantalum capacitor--------272-1434
0.1uf ceramic disc capacitor----272-135
1K resistor(x2)---------------------271-1321
100k potomitor / trimmer----------271-284
ICPC board----------------------276-159
npn switching transistor--------276-1617
on/off spst toggle switch-------275-327
30 gage wire

***please give king mike credit for these origional pic's I just modified them to fit my needs. thanks mike.

555Trigger.png

we want to keep all components as close to the 555 as we can.

1) Insert 555 timer into center of pc board, bend legs toward center, dont solder yet.
2) Make two jumpers 1" long. (Two pieces of wire stripped on each end) keep it all close
To chip, put these jumpers into same holes as the chip's legs.
2A) first jumper pin four to eight
2B) second jumper pin two to six
2C) solder jumpers and chip to pc board, only fill the holes we are using!!
1-2.jpg

3) Solder in 1k res pins seven and eight, make sure you have one more open hole at in eight
2-1.jpg

4) Put in 1.0 uf tantalum capacitor at pins one and two, this cap has a positive side and negative side the positive side should be in hole two. Now solder only pin two. (Leave neg side for now)
3-1.jpg

5) Put in 0.1 uf capacitor at pins one and five. At pin one, put this cap in the same hole as the last capacitor. You should still have one hole open at pin one. solder pins one and five.
4-1.jpg

6) on the pot you should have three legs, two close, and one by itself. snip off one of the two that are close to each other.
6A) solder a three inch pic of wire to each of the remaining pins of the pot
6B) solder one of these wires to pin two of the 555
6C) solder the other wire to pin seven of the 555
5r.jpg

7) solder in a long wire (6 inches or so) into the last hole of pin one (this is for gnd)
6r.jpg

8) solder in a long wire (6 inches or so) into the last hole of pin eight (this is for vdd)
7r.jpg

9) solder in a long wire (6 inches or so) into the last hole of pin three (this is for output)
8r.jpg

done:
9r.jpg

now the chip is complete time to install

powerpoints.jpg

1) cut back pc board as close as you can
2) remove right rumble pack and hallow out controller to make sure nothing pinches any wires, glue in chip
3) run the pin eight wire to the mic's supply voltage
4) run the pin one wire to the battery ground
5) drill two 1/4 inch holes between the d pad and the right stick in the top of the controller, they should be on top of each other, then connect them creating a slot of the on/off slide switch. use common sense here and make sure you are putting this slot where the switch will fit.
6) run the wire from pin three to one leg of the switch
7) run a new wire from the switch to a 1k res and into the base pin of the npn transistor
8) solder te collector of the transistor to the middle trigger pin
9) solder the EMITTER to the bottom trigger pin.

test, adjust pot, close controller. now if you play multiple diff games you may want to mount the pot through the controller, this is you preference. drill a 1/4 hole where you want it and hot glue it in place. I left mine inside the controller, and must open it, when I need to readjust it. this is a pain. I thought about mounting it, but the moved on to programming my own pic's. 555 is obsolete.

***EDIT***

1. this mod is for Rapid fire on your trigger, in order to create rapid fire on your triggers, you MUST use the transistor.

2. the switch is to turn the mod off and on.

3. this mod works on matrix and cg, with no alterations

4. it is cheaper, easier, and faster to install rapid fire if you go to the acid mods shop and buy a kit from there. but for the do it your selfer, this works very well

S

sin 5050

Reaction score
I followed these directions perfectly... Up to the point of installation. I do NOT want rappid fire on my triiger I want it on my Y button. Can I use this mod for that? If so how?? Please help. This is the second mod I've made and already ruined two controllers. I have a momentary button installed and I have the two points that equal a Y button push but what can I attach to it cause all I can ever find are mods for TRIGGERS. There must be a million of them. I've been able to find a mod or two claiming to make ANY button a turbo but the directions are either ridiculously vague or I understood one and tried it and it just didnt work (the one from THIS site that I could find). ANYBODY please.... I dont want a mode changing switch and all that just a simple turbo Y button. Any help is appreciated.

I followed these directions perfectly... Up to the point of installation. I do NOT want rappid fire on my triiger I want it on my Y button. Can I use this mod for that? If so how?? Please help. This is the second mod I've made and already ruined two controllers. I have a momentary button installed and I have the two points that equal a Y button push but what can I attach to it cause all I can ever find are mods for TRIGGERS. There must be a million of them. I've been able to find a mod or two claiming to make ANY button a turbo but the directions are either ridiculously vague or I understood one and tried it and it just didnt work (the one from THIS site that I could find). ANYBODY please.... I dont want a mode changing switch and all that just a simple turbo Y button. Any help is appreciated.

G

gamefreak987654

Reaction score
Thx for posting this mod....just finished with it and it works great...i had to use a 555cn timer ic, 1cb86 pc board (had to trim alot off), and a spst micromini togle switch but after a little tweaking and hollowing out of the controller casing i got it to work...works great and i decided to drill an extra hole so i could adjust the setting and everything on that woks good as well...glad to finaly have the project done...just a hint to everyone who wants to do this make shure you are good at soldering...i wasnt very good and almost wasted my 555 chip and the board. BE CAREFULL...and if you dont wana take very much time then just buy a premade controller or a kit....not worth the effort if u dont want to spend a day or two getting parts and putting the thing together....but overall a fun project for me...thx again :smile:
...ps i joined just to post this lol...realy happy wth my mod

Top Bottom