What's new

Unsolved 4tb internal hdd upgrade

M

Mikekelso421

Reaction score
Ive searched google for hours and i cant fond ANY feedback on this. I just bought a 500gb xbox one s. Im going to make a custom freddy krueger case for it with clear window and internal leds. Im obviously going to upgrade the hard drive. Which brings me to the topic of this thread.....

Can anyone confirm if a internal 4tb hdd will work one the xbox one s? And does it have to be a 2.5" laptop hdd. Id highly appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks guys. 
All the tutorial videos online show you how to install it (which is simple) but there are no furth details given as to how high of a capacity you can go with internal drives and what dimension drives will fit (2.5" or 3.5"). Im just making an educated guess that it has to be a 2.5" judging by the look of the stock drive when they remove it in the videos.

H

Harmonic

Work Hard, Dream Big
Reaction score
Ive searched google for hours and i cant fond ANY feedback on this. I just bought a 500gb xbox one s. Im going to make a custom freddy krueger case for it with clear window and internal leds. Im obviously going to upgrade the hard drive. Which brings me to the topic of this thread.....

Can anyone confirm if a internal 4tb hdd will work one the xbox one s? And does it have to be a 2.5" laptop hdd. Id highly appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks guys. 
All the tutorial videos online show you how to install it (which is simple) but there are no furth details given as to how high of a capacity you can go with internal drives and what dimension drives will fit (2.5" or 3.5"). Im just making an educated guess that it has to be a 2.5" judging by the look of the stock drive when they remove it in the videos.
It's 2.5" in the Xbox 360. I don't know about Xbox One but I'm guessing it will be the same.

R

Red58

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS4 uses 2.5, X1 likely uses the same

H

HexDecimal

Getting There
Reaction score
The One uses a 2.5 inch sata hdd, but you may have problems upgrading it.

M

Mr Evil Empire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I doubt its possible but dont quote me on it. I do rebuilds and I have modded xbox ones shells and have done other mods with them. When I rebuild the hdds with linux I need the partitions and since ive only seen a 2tb internal I think you will run into the same issue of yea you could install it but it would only run it at 2tb. I haven't yet tried this as external hdds are so easy to use but I would be pretty sure that if you installed the 4tb and rebuilt the partitions as needed through linux you would have the above mentioned issue. I would say try it as I would just assume that if it didnt work like as suggested just reformat it again and you will be fine. Xbox One uses laptop sized hdds NOT PC sized 3.5'

Top Bottom