• Thread starter Hiyper
  • Start date
  • Views 2,381
Hiyper

Hiyper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I am looking for a 3D modeler to help us on a serious project. We have a very in depth story line already in the works. Here is a quick synopsis for the game:

Code:
The Great Lake Mincer is a fantastic fishing spot, a place where all the greatest
fishermen gather. However, no one, absolutely no one goes out fishing at night
because of the... accidents... It began with the drowning of a woman two years ago,
and now it's believed that whenever fishermen head out into the lake at night, she 
attacks them. You decide to head out into the waters at night because all the fishing 
space is taken up during the day. Knowing the rumors, you must struggle to put food 
on the table for your daughter.

Here is some random dialog to tickle your fancy:
Code:
"You're going out there, at night!? You know about the rumors- no, facts! It'd be crazy to go out there! I can't let you go!"
--Elena
"I'd be crazy to not do anything and just let me and Ally starve to death. There's no stopping me Elena, just watch over Ally until I get back."
--John
"Don't be stupid! That lake already took your wife away from you and Ally, don't let it take you. There are better ways to make money John, for Christ's sake, listen to me!"
--Elena
"Oh I'm listening, but you're not stopping me. This isn't just about the money... It's about something else..."
--John
"You still blame yourself for Becca's death, don't you...?"
--Elena
"Ally, be a good girl, don't cause any harm for Ms. Hampton while I'm out, you hear?"
--John
"Okay daddy... Please be okay..."
--Ally
"Oh don't worry... Daddy's going to be just fine sweetheart..."
--John

That is the basic idea of the game, and we believe we have a very unique story in the works. As you can see, the story is going to be a very key element to the game and our USP. If anyone is interested, go ahead and shoot me a PM, or alternatively add me on skype, live:nat_taras (Say you are from S7). Hope to hear from someone!

Additional Notes:
  • No hours or anything, just do it when you want.
  • We have 2 developers and one designer, so the only thing we need is a modeler
  • The models can be in any format you wish
  • We plan to have a Kickstarter running when we can get a decent demo up and some good game play footage.
Thanks!

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
I am looking for a 3D modeler to help us on a serious project. We have a very in depth story line already in the works. Here is a quick synopsis for the game:

Code:
The Great Lake Mincer is a fantastic fishing spot, a place where all the greatest
fishermen gather. However, no one, absolutely no one goes out fishing at night
because of the... accidents... It began with the drowning of a woman two years ago,
and now it's believed that whenever fishermen head out into the lake at night, she
attacks them. You decide to head out into the waters at night because all the fishing
space is taken up during the day. Knowing the rumors, you must struggle to put food
on the table for your daughter.

Here is some random dialog to tickle your fancy:
Code:
"You're going out there, at night!? You know about the rumors- no, facts! It'd be crazy to go out there! I can't let you go!"
--Elena
"I'd be crazy to not do anything and just let me and Ally starve to death. There's no stopping me Elena, just watch over Ally until I get back."
--John
"Don't be stupid! That lake already took your wife away from you and Ally, don't let it take you. There are better ways to make money John, for Christ's sake, listen to me!"
--Elena
"Oh I'm listening, but you're not stopping me. This isn't just about the money... It's about something else..."
--John
"You still blame yourself for Becca's death, don't you...?"
--Elena
"Ally, be a good girl, don't cause any harm for Ms. Hampton while I'm out, you hear?"
--John
"Okay daddy... Please be okay..."
--Ally
"Oh don't worry... Daddy's going to be just fine sweetheart..."
--John

That is the basic idea of the game, and we believe we have a very unique story in the works. As you can see, the story is going to be a very key element to the game and our USP. If anyone is interested, go ahead and shoot me a PM, or alternatively add me on skype, live:nat_taras (Say you are from 7s). Hope to hear from someone!

Additional Notes:
  • No hours or anything, just do it when you want.
  • We have 2 developers and one designer, so the only thing we need is a modeler
  • The models can be in any format you wish
  • We plan to have a Kickstarter running when we can get a decent demo up and some good game play footage.
Thanks!

I dont see rigging in there.

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Reaction score
Sin$
And that of course, I could probably do the animations myself if anyone who makes the models is not able to.

You are way over your head. You don't "probably do the animations myself", animation doesn't work that way.
And you think rigging and animation are the same things, you could not be further from the truth. And you have nobody doing textures. And finally, I'm guessing the software your using is torrented or student versions, in which I'll love to see you even try to publish something.
All you have is an idea and a dream. There is no "do my job button" in unity or maya. Everything is made from scratch.

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Reaction score
Sin$
Broke his/her heart dude

I'm going to school for this, it's no joke. A lot of work goes into learning all of this. It's better to get your heart broken at the beginning than to finally get ready... just to realize that you have no idea what to do.

Innovative

Innovative

○ Innovation By Idea ○
Chatty Kathy Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
You are way over your head. You don't "probably do the animations myself", animation doesn't work that way.
And you think rigging and animation are the same things, you could not be further from the truth. And you have nobody doing textures. And finally, I'm guessing the software your using is torrented or student versions, in which I'll love to see you even try to publish something.
All you have is an idea and a dream. There is no "do my job button" in unity or maya. Everything is made from scratch.
That was priceless. I got certified to teach maya a few years back, but I sadly don't do it anymore. I still have some of my skill... But yeah, that was a heart breaker for sure! XD

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Reaction score
Sin$
That was priceless. I got certified to teach maya a few years back, but I sadly don't do it anymore. I still have some of my skill... But yeah, that was a heart breaker for sure! XD

Something I've learned from my instructors.
Nobody is going to hold your hand through this industry. The faster you realize that the better. It's time to start working hard now. If this is your dream then you'll put everything you have into it.

Innovative

Innovative

○ Innovation By Idea ○
Chatty Kathy Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Nobody is going to hold your hand through this industry. The faster you realize that the better. It's time to start working hard now. If this is your dream then you'll put everything you have into it.
That is 100% correct. With anything.

Hiyper

Hiyper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So much prejudiced and wrongly inferred statements in these comments. Where do i start?

"You are way over your head."

Am I? I am making the game in C++ and already have the base graphics engine done. I may be in over my head with the modeling area as I have no idea how that works, so you are right to correct me on anything in that area. But to state that I am way in over my head when you have seen 0 of the project and just a request for someone to help in an area I am not experienced in is trivial.

"I'm guessing the software your using is torrented or student versions, in which I'll love to see you even try to publish something."

The only software I am using atm is Visual Studio Community version.

"All you have is an idea and a dream. There is no "do my job button" in unity or maya. Everything is made from scratch"

We have a 27 page document outlining gameplay, story, and the entire game through and through.

Broke my heart? Nah, just motivated me more to finish this. Hop off my thread please. :smile:

EDIT:

"And you think rigging and animation are the same things, you could not be further from the truth"

Did I say that? From my understanding, rigging is what is used to make the animations, bones and such.

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Reaction score
Sin$
So much prejudiced and wrongly inferred statements in these comments. Where do i start?

"You are way over your head."

Am I? I am making the game in C++ and already have the base graphics engine done. I may be in over my head with the modeling area as I have no idea how that works, so you are right to correct me on anything in that area. But to state that I am way in over my head when you have seen 0 of the project and just a request for someone to help in an area I am not experienced in is trivial.

"I'm guessing the software your using is torrented or student versions, in which I'll love to see you even try to publish something."

The only software I am using atm is Visual Studio Community version.

"All you have is an idea and a dream. There is no "do my job button" in unity or maya. Everything is made from scratch"

We have a 27 page document outlining gameplay, story, and the entire game through and through.

Broke my heart? Nah, just motivated me more to finish this. Hop off my thread please. :smile:

You thought animation/rigging were the same. That statement is beyond wrong. How is anyone supposed to take you serious when you're merging two entirely separate production lines into one. Easy, we can't. Now, as an indie studio it is okay to think that 1 guy is doing multiple jobs, but you didn't even know they were separate jobs.
And this isn't the 80's, a programmer cannot make a 3d game all by themselves. Let's look at mario, it was easy to make the sprites and to have him jump. Because the jumping sprite was just that, a sprite that had values on it's translate Y. But not in this day and age.
As for you quoting my "do my job" reference, you're argument towards that makes no sense at all. That's nice, you have a 27 page document, and? I can write a book, doesn't mean I have the ability to morph that book into a movie, now does it? You think it's "1, write story. 2 make game. 3 profit". It's absolutely not that way.

Hiyper

Hiyper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You thought animation/rigging were the same. That statement is beyond wrong. How is anyone supposed to take you serious when you're merging two entirely separate production lines into one. Easy, we can't. Now, as an indie studio it is okay to think that 1 guy is doing multiple jobs, but you didn't even know they were separate jobs.
And this isn't the 80's, a programmer cannot make a 3d game all by themselves. Let's look at mario, it was easy to make the sprites and to have him jump. Because the jumping sprite was just that, a sprite that had values on it's translate Y. But not in this day and age.
As for you quoting my "do my job" reference, you're argument towards that makes no sense at all. That's nice, you have a 27 page document, and? I can write a book, doesn't mean I have the ability to morph that book into a movie, now does it? You think it's "1, write story. 2 make game. 3 profit". It's absolutely not that way.
I think it is 1. plan a game fully with gameplay, story, everything in between 2. make game 3. profit.

I am not one of those people who write a story and ask someone to make the game for me. Also we have 2 developers. You may be right with the single job of 3d, and I am aware of this. Never did I say this project is rolling, but it is not just an idea in the cloud.

EDIT: to brush up on the story thing, My philosophy is what makes a great game is, well, here is the exact message I wrote:
Code:
The main reason why there's a lot is that I really like focusing a bit on the story. I believe having a good story to go with a good game is bliss.

[8/5/2015 10:43:09 PM] Eclipse ♕: I agree. ALOT of game developers like to focus on 
gameplay over story. And that fails to bring players in. Nowadays with new fresh ideas
left little to none, the only way to make a quality game is to have a story that makes
the game more then a game where u shoot things and then close the game when u 
get tired of shooting, a game that has a story that makes it more of a interactive 
book. gp and story should be focused on equally, no adays story is low on the priority list, especially with indie games.

Cynder

Cynder

Local Weird Guy
AzzidReign Jr Mythical Veteran Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
your probably going to need more then 1 modeler depending on how many things you need modeled and how you want them to be used, like if you want a full character want the modeler to rig it (usually they know how to do both well) then its going to take alot of time like if you use motion tracking they will have to make a motion capture rig, ect...

Hiyper

Hiyper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
your probably going to need more then 1 modeler depending on how many things you need modeled and how you want them to be used, like if you want a full character want the modeler to rig it (usually they know how to do both well) then its going to take alot of time like if you use motion tracking they will have to make a motion capture rig, ect...
Thank you for the first constructive comment on the thread, I am not educated in the process of 3D asset creation.

ProJimmyRustler

ProJimmyRustler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Going to school for something doesn't make you a professional at it.
People like to discourage people from trying new things, just so what they do seems special.

It is save to assume that if you find someone who is a modeler, and not just someone that just knows how to somewhat use the program, they will know how to rig and animate the models that they make.

For small team projects like this 1-2 dedicated modelers will be fine. Don't let captain "I go to school for this" bring down the post.

You aren't asking for people to hold your hand, you were asking if someone wanted to help you with a project.
You aren't over your head with any of this. You can use whatever process you want.

If he wants to use "1, write story. 2 make game. 3 profit" That is fine. There is no static way to go about game development.
He by no means asking for professional work here. He just needs help on a project.

If you are looking for help on this, I can point you in the direction of some good animation solutions, whether it be motion capture or whatever, there is always DIY solutions on the cheap.
I would just ignore everyone being negative. They are not in industry. Going to school for something doesn't grant you the ability to say someone is over their head or that they can't do something.

Hiyper

Hiyper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Going to school for something doesn't make you a professional at it.
People like to discourage people from trying new things, just so what they do seems special.

It is save to assume that if you find someone who is a modeler, and not just someone that just knows how to somewhat use the program, they will know how to rig and animate the models that they make.

For small team projects like this 1-2 dedicated modelers will be fine. Don't let captain "I go to school for this" bring down the post.

You aren't asking for people to hold your hand, you were asking if someone wanted to help you with a project.
You aren't over your head with any of this. You can use whatever process you want.

If he wants to use "1, write story. 2 make game. 3 profit" That is fine. There is no static way to go about game development.
He by no means asking for professional work here. He just needs help on a project.

If you are looking for help on this, I can point you in the direction of some good animation solutions, whether it be motion capture or whatever, there is always DIY solutions on the cheap.
I would just ignore everyone being negative. They are not in industry. Going to school for something doesn't grant you the ability to say someone is over their head or that they can't do something.
At least someone understands this thread. Could you kindly link me to some of the stuff you were talking, DIY solutions.

ProJimmyRustler

ProJimmyRustler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
At least someone understands this thread. Could you kindly link me to some of the stuff you were talking, DIY solutions.

http://www.onysus.com/motion-capture/

If that doesn't provide fruitful, you can do some research on DIY kinect motion capture.
In some cases you will need 2 Kinects, this will allow you to have more 3D motion capture.
Xbox one kinects would be best.

For Facial Motion Capture, there are a few options for just using a web cam.

There are some solutions that allow you to make a helmet that your "actor" would wear that follow there face at all times.
It is recommended that you use 2 cameras for stereo capture. Doing so allows for depth in your captures.

Liquid44

Liquid44

Banned
Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$

So you had to go to school for animation just to get some common sense and learn in order to progress requires effort? which is the case for every industry/work lol.

Hiyper

Hiyper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well I found no-one, so I decided to take some classes, watch videos, ect. Here is my latest work (box modeling)
70ffde2fdc3a53e92bf51b5ec7209ece.gif

I am pretty proud of my progress, but I still have a long way to go.

Top Bottom
Login
Register