What's new

Solved 360 Softmod - A Newbie Documentation

H

Harts

Reaction score
Hello all 7sinians!

I'm pretty new to the Modding scene. I know you have heard that a million times before, we all have. I am in the process of wanting to mod my 360 to play back up gaming, and record the entire process to submit in its completion for the site.. I went through the sections and FAQ on this site and found an Arsenal of very good information, however there are some questions (Probably arbitrary) that I just couldn't figure out on my own.

1) I understand I have to "Flash" the firmware. My question after doing the flash, does that actually bring me to my new dashboard? Or is there something I'm missing there.

2) How do I acquire a Dashboard? Are they free?

That's about it for now. When I actually start the modding I will start a new thread with the pictures and video as I go long, eventually I will compile them for 1 big documentary :smile:

G

Gibs

Getting There
Reaction score
1)No it allows you to play backup games (burnt discs)

2)All dashboard updates are free.

H

Harts

Reaction score
1)No it allows you to play backup games (burnt discs)

2)All dashboard updates are free.

Ok great!

So I have the Lite-On player. Will this tutorial cover basically everything? :

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/63369-how-to-flash-the-lite-on-dg-16d2s/

Because if thats all I have to do to play back up games.. And nothing more.. Well lets say it would be a short video series lol.

X

x360xLuke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all 7sinians!

I'm pretty new to the Modding scene. I know you have heard that a million times before, we all have. I am in the process of wanting to mod my 360 to play back up gaming, and record the entire process to submit in its completion for the site.. I went through the sections and FAQ on this site and found an Arsenal of very good information, however there are some questions (Probably arbitrary) that I just couldn't figure out on my own.

1) I understand I have to "Flash" the firmware. My question after doing the flash, does that actually bring me to my new dashboard? Or is there something I'm missing there.

2) How do I acquire a Dashboard? Are they free?

That's about it for now. When I actually start the modding I will start a new thread with the pictures and video as I go long, eventually I will compile them for 1 big documentary :smile:

In order to play burned games off a disk you need only flash your DVD drive, which has no affect on your dashboard.

If you are trying to play games from different regions, run unsigned code, play games from USB drive, etc then you will need to flash the NAND on the motherboard of the xbox. You can dump and flash the NAND on any xbox with any dash, but only xboxes with in-tact e-fuses will actually boot with freeBOOT or XBReboot.

So unless you have dash 7371 or lower currently on the xbox you are trying to mod then the only thing you will be able to do is flash the DVD drive with iXtreme.

H

Harts

Reaction score
In order to play burned games off a disk you need only flash your DVD drive, which has no affect on your dashboard.

If you are trying to play games from different regions, run unsigned code, play games from USB drive, etc then you will need to flash the NAND on the motherboard of the xbox. You can dump and flash the NAND on any xbox with any dash, but only xboxes with in-tact e-fuses will actually boot with freeBOOT or XBReboot.

So unless you have dash 7371 or lower currently on the xbox you are trying to mod then the only thing you will be able to do is flash the DVD drive with iXtreme.

Oh wow, thank you. That is actually something I didn't know at all and clears up a lot of the information for me. With that in mind, Im assuming the JungleFlasher would work fine :

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/93576-how-to-flash-all-xbox-360-dvd-drives-in-jungleflasher/

Is that correct?

X

x360xLuke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh wow, thank you. That is actually something I didn't know at all and clears up a lot of the information for me. With that in mind, Im assuming the JungleFlasher would work fine :

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/93576-how-to-flash-all-xbox-360-dvd-drives-in-jungleflasher/

Is that correct?

Depending on the version of the lite-on drive in your xbox you will likely need to solder toe board in order to dump the firmware. You will also need a key extractor to get the info off the drive, or will need to cut traces and solder in a switch to dump the entire firmware from the board. You will also need a VIA 6421L sata chipset (or another compatible chipset) in order to read/write to the board.

This is not as easy as plugging in your drive to your computer and using JungleFlasher. And depending on which version of windows you're using you will have to mess with the drivers to get the port i/o drivers to work.

There are numerous tutorials on how to set this all up but unless you're willing to spend the money to get set up and have the expertise in soldering I would highly recommend you pay someone to do it. Someone who knows what they are doing could get this done for you in 15 minutes or so.

Top Bottom