What's new

Solved 360 DVD Drive Won't Read Discs

• Thread starter Established
  • Start date
  • Views 395
E

Established

Reaction score
I think I'm posting in the right. Apologies in advance if I'm not.

My DVD drive (Hitachi 78) was working fine until I burned Half Life to play it. Then my drive will not recognize any discs, burnt or bought or movies. The lens are cleaned and position. Everything in the drive looks like it is fine when I opened it. I am on Lt 3.0 and my dash is 167470. Could it be I need to update my dash to get my games to be recognized again? If so, where can I find it because I looked high and low and really couldn't find any results.

Thanks

Last edited:
HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Your laser probably went out. You can try POT tweaking, but probably just be best to replace the laser

E

Established

Reaction score
From eBay. I removed it with the solder iron. I have a back up Hitachi drive and put the new laser inside. It still isn't working. Before placing the new laser in the back up drive, I put it in the xbox and still have that problem. And that back up drive is a Hitachi 46. Both the 46 and 78 has the Lt 3.0

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

Retired
Reaction score
Most eBay sellers are notorious for selling used lasers. It is possible you got a bad laser. As well, you can't just change drives. If the osig doesn't match, you won't be able to play games, it will just show up as play DVD. Do dvd's work?

E

Established

Reaction score
DVDs doesn't work. Hitachi 78 is my original drive. Hitachi 46 is a brand new drive. I took it to a guy and he programmed 46 to work on my Xbox. It was working perfectly fine before I put in a new game to play. So that's why I wonder if it could be a update issue or maybe a bad burn from the game.

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

Retired
Reaction score
Unless you updated from a very old version, it would not have touched the DVD firmware. Again, more then likely it's the laser. People have gone through 4 lasers bought off eBay before they had a good one.

Chuckemz

Chuckemz

Jedi Sensei
Reaction score
Also the Hitachi 46 Drive does not use have AP25 checks and the Hitachi 78 drive does. 78 drive uses LT3.0 and 46 is only LT2.0 that could be why games are working on. Try switching the PCB Board of the 78 board to the other drive and see if that works

NotJordon

NotJordon

Getting There
Reaction score
Don't you need the DVD key signed to the new drive, otherwise you can't play games and only movies i believe.

E

Established

Reaction score
Unless you updated from a very old version, it would not have touched the DVD firmware. Again, more then likely it's the laser. People have gone through 4 lasers bought off eBay before they had a good one.

I went ahead and bought a new laser (not from eBay) and it's giving me the open drive error. I solder the ball and still no avail. What have I done wrong this time? The lens are blue, btw. Idk if that makes a Difference

Last edited: